Alpair 7.3 HT - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 10th January 2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Swifty is offline Swifty  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

VERY nice!!

Cabinet shape and driver selection looks familiar by the way :-) (PS: Since I took this picture I switched the speaker cabinets so that the woofers are facing outwards with the cabinets toed in about 25 degrees)

I wish I could liten to those beauties, I bet they sound heavenly!

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Swifty; 10th January 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:34 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff 777 View Post
A sealed box with single driver (like your surrounds) would have easly got down to 100 Hz in that room.
Actually, just barely, With an HT processer, it is easy to run the mains as large & all the rest as small.

dave
Old 10th January 2013, 10:03 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Actually, just barely, With an HT processer, it is easy to run the mains as large & all the rest as small.

dave
Yes, but then again, he has stereo subwoofers. I see no reason to have the mains play under 100 Hz. Unless you use the mains without the subs for "pure" stereo music.

By the way nice craftmanship! The MLTL look very nice.
Old 10th January 2013, 11:19 PM   #14
11opas is offline 11opas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jeff: With this hobby we have, I am constantly building new and moving speakers around to different rooms and also selling them off, once I get bored of them. I build them to be stand alone speakers with no sub needed. Now that I have them in my HT room I cross them at 100hz and the subs take the rest. With movies and loud volumes, there is no worry of damaging the drivers once high passed with subs...
Old 10th January 2013, 11:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Swifty: When I saw your speakers months ago, I had to laugh... I had mine built and was doing the final coats of clear when your posts came up. I guess great minds think alike.... Absolutely love the contrast between the white fronts and natural sides and the L26ROYs in the sides: brilliant!
Old 11th January 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11opas View Post
Jeff: With this hobby we have, I am constantly building new and moving speakers around to different rooms and also selling them off, once I get bored of them.
That was my guess That or "because they look so cool".
Old 11th January 2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Swifty is offline Swifty  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Swifty: When I saw your speakers months ago, I had to laugh... I had mine built and was doing the final coats of clear when your posts came up. I guess great minds think alike.... Absolutely love the contrast between the white fronts and natural sides and the L26ROYs in the sides: brilliant!
Thanks for the nice words, the coincidence brought a smile to my face too . It was later pointed out to me that the basic design is very much like the work Boenicke audio does with their speaker line. I never had heard of them before this was mentioned in that thread, but I cannot deny the similarities are easy to see. Was your design in any way influenced by them?

While the level of workmanship on your creation is far beyond what I will ever be able to achieve, I really like the way they turned out.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Funny you ask, After I had sketched a design and talked to Scott, and finally finished my template for the translam construction, I came across the Boenicke website and was amazed at what I saw... He copied my design! Just kidding.. The outside might look similar as ours, but the inside of Boenicke's speakers are as beautiful as the outside. I could never achieve that level of craftsmanship.

Thank you for your comments, but it's really easy... A bit time consuming but easy... Once you have your design and template, anyone can run a router with a flush trim bit and before you know it, your done...
Old 11th January 2013, 08:51 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The outside might look similar as ours, but the inside of Boenicke's speakers are as beautiful as the outside.
But i expect not nearly as effective functionally.

dave
Old 12th January 2013, 02:33 AM   #20
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

I heard Boenicke's SLS at a showroom a couple of year back. It was impressive - specially the soundstage... store manager put on "Calling Elvis" from Dire Straits' On the Night album - sounded superb. Pity I was short on time and couldn't try out any other stuff, so I am in position to comment on the overall sound and capabilities of the speaker. The tall and slim aesthetic of the SLS is also pleasing.

With drivers like the Alpair 7.3, coupled with a woofer and good amp in a good FAST configuration like what Swifty has done, I am pretty DIYers can match the listening experience of a good number of much higher priced commercial mult-way builds at a fraction of the budget. Not to mention the immense fun of exploring, learning, building, and sharing.

Thank you Mark for the great drivers! They help fuel the fire of DIY desire.

Last edited by zman01; 12th January 2013 at 02:44 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!