HT with Alpair 10.2 and CHR70.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back home and making some progress. I have redesigned the mains with a baffle width of 190 mm and a layout like this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The test enclosures have already been glued together and await routing the holes for the driver and the port. Since the lining material I ordered is not here yet I am not in a hurry to go out into the cold and do it though. We'll see, once I run out of stuff to plan maybe I'll get on with it.

But luckily I have lots of planning left, for example the center. For this I have shamelessly stolen the idea presented in this thread: Feedback: New LCR Design for Alpair 10.2

What I came up with is this:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is 16 liters, tuned to 41 Hz. Simulation looks like this:

I have tried to learn from my mistakes and kept everything where early reflections could occur as far from the driver as possible. The baffle is 185 mm high (internally) and the ports are spaced also 185 mm apart.
The only headache I have is that height and depth are almost the same. I can't really change that though as they need to fit in the space where I want to put them in and the width already has a critical WAF :rolleyes:.

What do you think?

The last day of my holiday, from here on out it will get much slower with the updates. To make up for that I have rather much to report today: The lining material I ordered arrived yesterday and the test enclosures for mains and center are done and running.

Mains

I have built them to the plan I showed in my last post. Compared to the first try they are less deep but wider, as you can see in these pictures (the driver is still in the first one):

The height is different too, but that is only because I wanted to use only one board to cut them out of, and the height is exactly half of that board. The final enclosures will be built so that the driver is on ear height.

Everything on the inside with direct line of sight to the driver and then a couple centimeters down is covered with recycled cotton lining ("Nadelfilz"), 10 mm thick on the line divider (that board in the middle) and 20 mm thick on the rest. I chose the stuff without the adhesive layer because it only cost half as much as the other stuff and is available in 20 mm. It looks like this:

The front and the back of the line is stuffed with half a mat of polyfill.

Final placement will then be here:

So, how do they sound?

At first I only had one of them hooked up (the other one wasn't finished). I positioned it right in front of the tv, sat down on the couch and put on the first song. I don't remember what it was, but it sounded awful. Like a really cheap computer speaker driven beyond its limit, only with ample bass. I was really, really unhappy. I did not listen for long but rather finished the other speaker and put them into the places where they are supposed to go. The next listening test then changed everything. In stereo it was immediately apparent how good they image, but I was not really happy about the sound right from the start. But that changed pretty fast as I continued listening. It seemed almost as if they had to break in, which surprises me as they have been running for approximately 70 hours in their cardboard boxes and then a bit in the first test enclosures. Maybe I had to get used to them, or its because I only used one channel of a stereo source? I don't know. I just know that now I am happy, and thats how I will build the final enclosures.

Center

The center was much more straightforward. Some pictures of the build:

Additionally to the cotton lining you can see in the picture I put in about a quarter mat of polyfill on each side behind the port section.

How does it sound? Well, pretty much the same as the mains. It maybe has a little less bass, but I think thats partly due to having too much stuffing in the center and not enough in the mains. I will play around with that a little. But I am still very happy how this turned out in the first try and will build the final enclosure to that design.

Now, the only development left is that of the rear speakers. We'll see how long that will take. As I mentioned, today is the last day of my vacation, there will be considerably less free time to do anything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.