A12P MLTL's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zia asked if I would post a thread on this build so here it is.

These speakers are for a mate who lives in Scotland. He was so impressed with the performance of the small bookshelf A12P speakers he ordered a pair the drivers and asked if I could do him a floorstander with a bit more bass extension than the bookshelves. So a call to Scottmoose and he came up with this design. It has a different alignment than the Pencil series and requires minimum damping as per typical for MLTL's.

To date I have built both speaker carcasses ready for veneering with some European Oak that is due for delivery early next week. You will note that the front and rear baffles are doubled up in thickness so to incorporate a 18mm x 18mm rebate for full length solid European Oak edgings all round. The top and bottom of the speakers will also be 25mm thick soild European Oak hence the window braces to hold it all together as these will be glued on last and sanded flush with the veneer.

Anyway to some photos:

Photo 1 below shows the basic carcass with the internal damping:

A12P_MLTL01.JPG

Photo 2 shows the front and rear views of the assembled cabinets. The 2" dia hole in the rear panel is for an adjustable L-Pad as Andrew wants to have the facility to use a Supertweeter (Fostex T90A) with the speakers.

A12P_MLTL02.JPG

Photo 3 below is of the driver cut-out in the front baffle and clearly seen in the rear baffle the cutouts for the L-pad.

A12P_MLTL03.JPG

And lastly a photo taken from above lookinking down into the speaker showing the chamfer around the driver cut out.

A12P_MLTL04.JPG

I'll post more photos when I get the veneer and have glued on the soild Oak components.

If the performance of the Scottmoose designed bookshelves is anything to go by I have high hopes for these. Fingers crossed Andrew will love them.

Colin,

Thanks for sharing, and looking good. Looking at the pics I guess the driver mounting is a bit higher than the Pensil, and cabinet height might have a couple of inches on them too (might be wrong on both counts though).

Will you playing them for a few days before your friend picks them up? You still have your 12P (which are well broken in) for some listening?

Zia,
Yes the driver is mounted closer to the top of the cabinet over that of the Pencils and height wise it's near enough the same as the Super Pencil12's.
I know Scott is not in favour of the larger SuperPencils for this driver and only did the design due to member pressure. These boxes have been designed with Andrew's specific requirements in mind and in a sense are a little experimental.

In the wings I have planned for myself a 2-compartment floorstander using the A12P with a active bass helper. I'll post up these when I get around to the actual build.

The box makeup for these MLTLs is a little different from the norm due the requirement for the 18mm sq solid oak edgings all round and the soild oak top and bottom. Without this requirement only the front baffle would be doubled up in thickness with all the other panels single 18mm ply so a very simple box ala the Pencils and no need for any extra internal bracing.

My experience with Scott's designs tell me that Andrew will be happy with the "experimental" design. :)

Your idea/plan for a design with active bass helper sounds exciting. Keep us posted on your choice of woofer - it will be interesting to see which ones are a good match with the A12P.

Scott designed the bass helper floorstander design for these:

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/peerless/830869.pdf

I won't know how well these will keep pace with the A12P's but I'm sure Scott knows a thing or two, hey ;)
I know they is are a couple dB down on the A12P but then with the active modules having independant volume out on the woofers this should not be an issue.

and the active module shall be these:

SAM-1

Last edited:
I've seen some of the lower-budget Peerless drivers used in ~£1000 speakers* (the woofers are £20 each). The bass drivers linked above there are considerably better than those, so I'd expect will keep up nicely.

What will the crossover look like?

Chris

*the Neat Motive range

Between my other speaker builds and the near constant rain here in the UK over the Christmas and New Year break I have managed to progress this build. The European Oak veneer arrived just before Christmas so I have manged to veneer all panels of the speakers, machine up and joint the 25mm thick solid Oak top and bottom panels and all 8 of the 19mm sq. full depth side strips. Later tonight I shall glue on the side strips and leave these overnight for the glue to set before gluing on the top and bottom panels. These will all need trimming flush to the veneered ply and profiled with my router. I hope to have them ready for applying the oil coat by the weekend so I can then start the slow process of running-in the drivers ready for collection by their new owner.

The keen eyed of you will note 3 light coloured marks around the port tube. These are not apparent to the nakid eye and are where I used a
Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser to rub out the marking out lines. These will disapper when I finally sand the cabinets ready for the application of the finishing oil. (I hope!)

MLTL01.JPG

MLTL02.JPG

MLTL03.JPG

More photos to follow.

OK much progress this weekend whilst it been dry and relative warm for the time of year, so I was able to get outdoors and do the final routing on the patio in the back garden.

I have got both cabinets finished and the first coat of finishing oil applied. I think Andrew and Fiona are gonna like these.

Here's some photos of the finished cabinets whilst drying after the first coat of oil.

MLTL_OAK01.JPG

MLTL_OAK02.JPG

MLTL_OAK03.JPG

MLTL_OAK04.JPG

MLTL_OAK05.JPG

I should be able to get the drivers installed and all wired up for tomorrow night. Then the long process of running-in the new drivers.

And here are the finished speakers:

MLTL_OAK06.JPG

If Scottmoose is looking in on this photo he'll pick up on the fact the port tube on the right side speaker appears a little long. It is as I have to cut them back to length before I fire them up for the first time and start the long slow process of running-in the brand new drivers before Andrew come's down from Scotland next weekend to collect these beauties.

I'll post up some intial impressions when they have been running for week. Not fair on the performance of the drivers before then.

EDIT. Should anyone be wondering what the upper pair of binding posts and dial knob are for, well these are a adjustable L-Pad and output terminals for a supertweeter. In this case a pair the excellent Fostex T90A.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.