MA speakers for a 28 X 40 room? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 15th December 2012, 02:31 AM   #1
mikje is online now mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default MA speakers for a 28 X 40 room?

I have a friend who would like a 4-speaker set up for his shop. It is 28' x 40' and has an 8' ceiling. No carpet or fabric furniture to speak of. His budget is somewhat tight, $250, for 4 speakers. How would four CHR-70's or four CHP-70's (gen. 2) work in this type of room? He wants the speakers for background music and for entertaining. I figure he'd need a sub for bass in a room that size, but from what I've seen, the MA speakers seem to offer the most bang for the buck.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 15th December 2012, 09:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikje View Post
I have a friend who would like a 4-speaker set up for his shop. It is 28' x 40' and has an 8' ceiling. No carpet or fabric furniture to speak of. His budget is somewhat tight, $250, for 4 speakers. How would four CHR-70's or four CHP-70's (gen. 2) work in this type of room? He wants the speakers for background music and for entertaining. I figure he'd need a sub for bass in a room that size, but from what I've seen, the MA speakers seem to offer the most bang for the buck.
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
4 X CHR70's will provide good background music. There's little to be gained by a sub in this type of service condition (especially given the tight budget).
Thanks
Mark.
Old 15th December 2012, 11:56 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Big room alright (1120 ft^2) - when you say "shop" do you mean commercial / retail store?

As Mark says the smaller drivers would be fine for background levels, but I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to step on the gas a bit too much - particularly while entertaining - only to find exactly where the excursion limits are.

Within the Mark Audio line I'd be inclined to try to squeeze a bit more out of the budget "decider" - Madisound currently has Silver A10.2s on sale at $80 (who knows for how long).
Old 16th December 2012, 12:11 AM   #4
mikje is online now mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Big room alright (1120 ft^2) - when you say "shop" do you mean commercial / retail store?

As Mark says the smaller drivers would be fine for background levels, but I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to step on the gas a bit too much - particularly while entertaining - only to find exactly where the excursion limits are.

Within the Mark Audio line I'd be inclined to try to squeeze a bit more out of the budget "decider" - Madisound currently has Silver A10.2s on sale at $80 (who knows for how long).
Thanks for the info Chris. The shop is a personal workshop. It's a second story to a garage he built. After Mark's response, I recommended the Sten II speakers from Madisound. I'd recommend the A10.2s if he's willing to go a few more dollars. I saw the sale at Madisound and couldn't resist, so I ordered a pair for myself. I have a pair of CHP-70.2s that were on sale a while back and I'm sold on Markaudio drivers. Now, my dilemma is what cabinet for them...
Thanks again for the info.
Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!