Future woofer production - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th January 2013, 09:12 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

@Mark, May I ask why you are making a tweeter, when the range has such great HF response?
Old 16th January 2013, 11:34 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
@Mark, May I ask why you are making a tweeter, when the range has such great HF response?
Hi Studio (Guys),
Excellent ideas and comments, many thanks and feel free to keep them coming.

Good question from Studio Au,
The tweeter was designed to meet OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) projects in Japan. In particular, Norio San's (our Japan main distributor) requirement to supply the wider Hi-Fi high street retail market. We're at a sort of cross-road (so to speak) in Japan. As our market share for raw drivers has grown, we've become more attractive to some of the larger scale Japanese Audio businesses. Norio's worked hard with these guys to come up with a package to suit the "city living" market and it was felt that a small 2 way would be the best first step. Having made a woof and tweet in previous years, I was asked to help. So the Duo 60 was born using a up-graded Alpair 6 mated to the purpose designed tweet. Part of the "spin off" is my Arrestor design as the OEM's consider this feature as very desirable for service reliability.

My heart will always by in Full-Range, its my passion and I firmly believe its the best way forward to help contribute to more sustainable and eco friendly production. As such, Norio and the guys are also considering backing the launch of a "Duo 70" using an MAOP7 driver - see pic.

Overall, given the loads of feedback on the woofer thread, I have to think about how to satisfy the needs of members/Diyers and commercial interests. I can't do everything but I will keep trying to turn ideas into product that many can use while working on technical solutions to driver design and production.

Please feel free to comment on this aspect of the Markaudio business as I'm interested to rear more views on what guys think about the future direction for Markaudio.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duo70.jpg (40.6 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 17th January 2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 16th January 2013, 11:36 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Where is my slobber emoticon. I want a MAOP 7.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:26 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Where is my slobber emoticon. I want a MAOP 7.
Hi Buzz,
Apologies, we're a bit pushed on production at the moment. Also, the MAOP's cost a ton of money and time to make. Your looking at around US$450/US$500 per pair. Given Fiscal Cliffs et. al, I'm not sure if you'll still feel the same desire? If you do, don't tell the wife/partner!

Feel free to email me: support@markaudio.com

Cheers
Mark.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:31 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

I have been waiting and saving. I am in no rush, being months behind on projects, so when you have a moment, we can talk. Brothers eNabled drivers from Dave continue to improve with break in. Hadn't even talked about them and the other day he mentioned that he thought that they were continuing to improve. I still listen to my 7.3 daily in Dave's boxes. Wonderful. Researching horns drivers, I cant help but think of your drivers, as they similarly have those low mass diaphragms capable of so much detail. Love em.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:44 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I have been waiting and saving. I am in no rush, being months behind on projects, so when you have a moment, we can talk. Brothers eNabled drivers from Dave continue to improve with break in. Hadn't even talked about them and the other day he mentioned that he thought that they were continuing to improve. I still listen to my 7.3 daily in Dave's boxes. Wonderful. Researching horns drivers, I cant help but think of your drivers, as they similarly have those low mass diaphragms capable of so much detail. Love em.
Hi Buzz,
Glad you like the 7's. I've been running MAOP10's in my home-office, around 2000 hours on them. Very sweet and smooth, possibly not to everyone's taste but they've grown on me. Anyway, we'd better no wonder too far off the woof topic.
Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maop10.jpg (137.0 KB, 211 views)
Old 17th January 2013, 12:56 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Look great. No doubt how they sound.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:20 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
As such, Norio and the guys are also considering backing the launch of a "Duo 70" using an MAOP7 driver - see pic...
Please feel free to comment on this aspect of the Markaudio business as I'm interested to rear more views on what guys think about the future direction for Markaudio.
Delighted. I can practically feel the diffraction effects something chronic from that deeply inset driver. Especially off-axis. And they're using an MAOP unit in it? What bright spark thought that'd be a good idea? Might be good for a sťance I suppose. 'Are you thererererere Syddddneneneneney? Givvvvve usss a siiiiignnnn...'

This shows similar levels of common sense to those possessed by my good friend here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olive-baboon.jpg (177.1 KB, 621 views)

Last edited by Scottmoose; 17th January 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:41 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Back regarding the midbass unit, assuming a degree of economic viability is required, I'd be inclined to do some diving into the parts bin & utilise as many existing components as is viable. Since I'm a firm believer in not wasting time, money & effort in reinventing the wheel where there is no cause to do so, hanging the guts of the old unit in an A12 frame, or as many as can actually be made to physically fit suggests itself as reasonable initial step.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:41 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Delighted. I can practically feel the diffraction effects something chronic from that deeply inset driver. Especially off-axis. And they're using an MAOP unit in it? What bright spark thought that'd be a good idea? Might be good for a sťance I suppose. 'Are you thererererere Syddddneneneneney? Givvvvve usss a siiiiignnnn...'

This shows similar levels of common sense to those possessed by my good friend here.
Apologies Guys,
I should explain that the Duo70 pic is of a design/looks exercise proto. Various mounts, baffle shapes etc are being explored, such the need for high-street offerings. By no means a final production.

Love the pic of baboon!

Cheer
Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!