Future woofer production - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 15th January 2013, 12:09 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Hmmmmm...

Another thought.

The copper cones match those tweeters rather nicely, so how about a bass-only version of one of the Alpairs? (I'm thinking the 12 or 10).
You know far more of this than I do, but methinks a thicker cone would mean the driver would stand some excursion abuse without crinkling the cone.

It'd also make for a rather good FAST system with an Alpair 7.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:10 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Beat ya to it Chris
Old 15th January 2013, 12:11 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Is there a consideration for a larger woofer

6" for two way/ tweeter

10"/12" for Fast systems?
Old 15th January 2013, 12:16 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

@Chris,

I spotted this the other day:
Click the image to open in full size.
Alpair 10 Base Wide - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers
"The Alpair 10 bass-wide driver. It's all about the bass with this driver. We set out to make this unit to deliver a solid, rich and most of all, a detailed sound without the need to operate at high volumes. The compliance of this driver suits listeners who genuinely love music and require real detail, not simply a low range thump. This is not a rock and roll driver, there's plenty of those already available.
The Alpair 10 is ideal for audiophile uses, multi-media and multi-channel applications."

Last edited by Studio Au; 15th January 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 15th January 2013, 01:27 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMBoZ View Post
We're debating the future direction MA next product release ( I think). Fidelity isn't just flat frequency response. Fidelity is also articulating sonic 'weight': conveyng the strength of a big man blowing into a saxophone, the percussive attack of the drum stick hitting the skins on a drum roll down a set of tom toms, timpani whatever. It's not about just the timbre, the harmonic realism, it's also how well the system/speaker conveys percussive and dynamics effects in music. Which are every bit as valid or important to music as any other aspect of it. This my point. Sorry if it's off topic. I'm done for today.
If the transmission bandwidth is wide enough, and flat enough, all the music comes through. timbre, attack, dynamics, all of it. No subjective description required. Even apparently random noise may be faithfully reproduced. Pure information science put into practice.

I do understand colloquialisms used in describing sound reproduction in place of scientific terms of physics and math; and I see fallout of ambiguity producing designed effects in place of truth.

Wine tasters hone exceptional sense of taste/smell, and use nothing more than descriptions of other tastes/smells in conveying useful information to the vintner. None of the tasters terms has anything to do with the vintner's understanding of how to achieve them in the product.

Art is practical compromise allowing production of product with marketable performance while making a living.

Once again, speaker and equipment are strictly transmission system. They should be listened through, not listened to.
Old 15th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #66
wron is offline wron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default My pick for a FAST woofer

The SEAS A25RE4 would be the woofer I'd like to try in FAST configuration - lightweight cone and smooth response with T/S parameters ideal for sealed box:
The Madisound Speaker Store
Old 15th January 2013, 06:50 PM   #67
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I wish the woof6 was available
I still have some.

dave
Old 15th January 2013, 06:55 PM   #68
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywater View Post
If the transmission bandwidth is wide enough, and flat enough, all the music comes through.
Flat FR is all and good,but it is the surface of the body of water. A really good loudspeaker also has a wide transmission bandwidth orthogonally, going down (ie deep into the water using that analogy) -- termed DDR (downward dynamic range) and described in poetic fashion with many terms.

I have yet to see anyone measure DDR but the ear/brain can quickly zoom in on it. How flat is the response way down there? Lots more unanswered questions.

dave
Old 15th January 2013, 08:41 PM   #69
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

You'll be relieved...this is my last 20 on this topic. It goes like this..I migrated to MA out of an interest/curiosity in wide/full range. For me the MA 'brand' is affordable, contemporary, attractive, wide range drivers. Will leveraging the MA brand equity into a 2 way dilute what differentiates the MA brand against all the alternatives doing similar 2-ways? By doing a 2-way is MA now saying to NEW customers that wide range doesn't work? What if the 2-way sounds better than the wide range? Is the relevance of the wide range 'range' now compromised? Do you advocate wide range or 2-way? Would your selling proposition to a 'new' potential customer, an empty mind, be confused by the addition of 2-way and potentially goes elsewhere...back to Fostex, TB etc.

Sounds like it's underway, and it's probably not this critical, but from where I'm sitting a 2-way might generates sales, but will it add value to your brand identity?
Old 15th January 2013, 09:04 PM   #70
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mark is driven by both his goals and what his customers ask for (and pay for). Every speaker is compromised, a FR driver has its own set, a multiway a different set. Both appeal, or are appropriate, and depend on the user.

Isn't your system a MA based multiway?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!