Old 1st March 2013, 03:44 AM   #121
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

He's back!
Old 1st March 2013, 05:41 PM   #122
wron is offline wron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Voice coil and surround materials

It's great to see you back on the forum Mark!
I wonder if Mark or Dave might have some comments on how other components like voice coils and surround materials affect the "DDR" or "LDR" abilities of a fullrange type driver.

Wron

Listening to: The Who - Sell Out
Old 1st March 2013, 06:58 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't unifying the VC former and the cone into one, but rather instead of a truncated cone simply adhered to a straight cylinder, done through V shaped serrations one flairing into the other. Wouldn't this make for a better mechanical impedance match? Seems to me that this would greatly improve microphonics and thusly DDR.

I see visions of carbon fiber tow radially molded from the former base out to the cone edge, akin to a shallow tweeter horn perhaps arcing out to the edge, twisted. Two molded one inner and one outer with the inner cone having exactly the reverse bias out to the rim lamenated to form one piece. Perhaps even adding an additional dampening layer sandwiched between the two. Would seem to have most of the properties we're looking for.

Now just how in the heck would one make one of these, shy of doing it all by hand, fibre by fiber, give me a few years

Other Idea for this shape construction was how braided ship tow ropes are made. Would eliminate the structural weaknesses of cloth and add strength to prevent cone modes.

Just a thought
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:28 PM   #124
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

Mark, i hope your health is getting better. Thanks for your contributions. The graph really says it all.
Old 8th March 2013, 12:41 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm filling in some time before seeing the surgeon later today. Following up on Dave's (et al) thinking regarding "Downward Dynamics" or "Low Dynamics", I've made a simple illustrative graph to assist in the discussions (see pic).

Hopefully, members and end-users can more easily appreciate the relationship between power-handling and musical detail. For those making FAST systems, it might be more challenging, should they wish to retain detail in the LF range, to find an LF driver with sufficient low mass capable of generating the micro-resonance necessary to emit detail.

Much depends of end-user project goals. If your purely into "effect" and want allot of power and have little interest in fine music, large subs become a natural choice. However, from my experience (and a very large email bag) many members and end-users aren't fully aware of the emittance limitations of large heavier mass drivers. What should be remembered is that much music in the LF spectrum is musically complex, its emittance signal is also complex, its how we differentiate between the lows of a double bass and acoustic guitar. Both might play to within a few Hz of each other, yet we hear the difference. Hopefully as health permits, I'll further illustrate these points.

Conversely, some end users fail to consider the power handling limitations of full range drivers and push them too hard. I've gone someway to help avoid breakages with the introduction of the Arrestor over-load protector. All the same, it only operates in extreme load condition and begs the question, why push a light-load driver into its distortion range where musical quality suffers.

So, issues of power and detail are important and worthy of greater research drprior to making a driver choice. My hope is that this illustration will help engage discussion and promote greater planning in the goals of project building.

Cheers
Mark.
Hello Mark!
I am also very happy that you are feeling better,being your big fan and having build around 20 pairs of speakers from your drivers.
Talking about the oscillations and micro and macro details-what is your opinion
about the BMR (Ballanced Mode Radiator) drivers?
I am mentioning them only because the principle they should be based on reminds me your definition of a membrane resonating on multiple frequencies according to music signal while being in pistonic motion..
I would be glad if you share your opinion about this technology,perhaps you
have heard some?
About the woofer and tweeter that you have previously made- sometimes it is great to have some power reserve, listening loud to Bach's Toccatta and Fuga for example
I would be very happy if you will make some woofer and tweeter again and i can promise that i will order a few dozens imediatelly
I wish you all the best from the land of the best beer and female slaves !

Ondrej

Hide this!Advertise here!