Alpair 12P Open Baffle/U-Frame with 8" sealed woofer. Passive Cross Over. Pictures - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th January 2013, 06:06 AM   #31
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Update: A12P running without any filtering. For a reference/example of how low the A12P plays: take the Massive Attack track 'Angel' which has this intro that has a kick drum and click beat with a low, pulsing rumble (bass guitar detuned I think). You can clearly hear the upper 30 - 40% of this rumble through the A12. I was surprised! Fiddling with 2nd order filters on the woofer and super-tweeter. I believe this should give me 180 degrees phase against the unfiltered A12, no reverse polarities.
Old 20th January 2013, 05:52 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Timboz, Excellent, I'm a true believer as many know that if you can eliminate crossover parts in the chain the purity of the signal has a clarity that is unbelievable. This driver allows me to have an entirely separate subwoofer set up out of the way of the 12P's with a crossover point well out of the way of any critical area, truly seamless. Timboz, your correct in your assessment, the mid low strength of this driver is astounding. Although I must admit I have not felt the need to add a tweeter, quite happy with the extension, quite natural to my ears. Btw, I run OB configuration as well, and it's magical!
Old 27th February 2013, 12:24 AM   #33
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

I recently played some MP3 sine waves (via iPod quickly flicking from to to another) at intervals of 10Hz at a fixed, fairly modest listening volume. I can't measure, only listen. I also have a XLBaffle 'sim' and now I can say that the sim actually seems pretty accurate, from what I can gather.

In it's current baffle set-up the A12P (no filtering) starts to roll off at 6db (I think) from around 250Hz, maybe a bit lower. A12 is just audible at around 70Hz. But barely audible at all by 60 - 50Hz. It's still useful/handy for quiet listening sessions by itself.

The woofer in sealed box plays audibly, 'usefully' down to about 60Hz or so. Not as low as I was hoping.

The output from woofer will overlap the output of the A12 at around 120 Hz judging by the sim. But I might aim the XO a bit higher to keep the values of inductors as small as possible. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd order at 150Hz kind of thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!