Small floorstander for Alpair 6.2M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered a pair of Alpair 6.2 M in order to make a small floorstander for my testing rig and for late night listening.

I am looking for something easy to build. I am a quick learner with wood but it is also a matter of available time. I also would prefer a floorstander to avoid having to build additional stands, and minimize effort and costs.

My current thoughts are to build a Cyburg-Needle type box.
I am also considering a pensil 6, but to my understanding the current design is not suited for the G2 speaker.

I do not expect deep or loud bass. I just want to get an easy listening second rig with nice mids and highs

Any input?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dimitri, Guys,
I've used the 6M in Pensil 6. While its alignment isn't 100%, it made a nice sound with surprisingly descent bass for a small driver. The advantage of the Pensil is its flexibility, varying the stuffing volume makes it quite adaptable.

There's also Kurt's TL design. Its also an easy build and he's has allot of success with this design in Denmark.

Both plans are here:

Alpair 6M | Markaudio

I worry about suggesting a box thats designed for another make of driver, especially one that illustrates some sort of compensation circuit. Appreciating the idea of suggesting a box type is useful, but its important to be clearer about the performance needs of matching box and drivers.

Please remember that TB, like many makers, offers no support to Diyaudio members, or (as far as I know) to any individual end user.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
So none of these are actually designed for the 6M?

well actually I think all will work readily enough with either the M or P - and in addition to those plans linked in Marks post above, there are a couple by Planet10

IINM, these drivers were targeted for small near-field / desk top use, where I've heard them work very well by themselves. This application is generally predicated on compact enclosure size, and these little guys can work in pretty tiny boxes ( my sealed compound wedge shaped surrounds for HT couldn't have been more than 1.5 liters) . A "full size" MLTL or BLH can only go so far in terms of extending LF response, and efforts to do so could potentially cause problems in terms of excursion control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.