Sealed or vented for the Alpair 7.3 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 8th November 2012, 12:53 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Will you be using subs? If yes I'd go sealed personally.

As for the 2 versus 1 driver in the center channel question, yes it's been tested and proven over and over. It's a bad idea to use 2. People who do use 2 might not "hear" an issue. Because the issue is combing/nulls. So they are missing some of the source. That's why they don't hear an issue unless they are very familiar with the recording and say "oh man, that high hat is missing, or the flute sounds dull".
Old 8th November 2012, 12:55 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Iwhat is the tuning frequency of the dMar-Ken7 Center?
Same as the dMar-Ken7. I don't pay attention, the number isn't important to me, the shape of the curve is. And the number in the simulation program is not the same as the tuning once the high aspect vents are factored in. I'd tend toward a 50+ Hzish HP which is likely the answer to the underlying question.

dave
Old 8th November 2012, 02:52 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

tuxedocivic,

Yes, I will two subs. I lean on the sealed side, 6 lit. around as in Dave's curve.

Thanks everyone for reply.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:11 PM   #14
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Consider that you may want to listen to the A7 full range occasionally in which case a dMar-Ken7 would be a better choice IMO. Just gives more to play with.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:34 PM   #15
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Consider that you may want to listen to the A7 full range occasionally in which case a dMar-Ken7 would be a better choice IMO. Just gives more to play with.
+1
Old 8th November 2012, 04:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Once you have a capable subwoofer system that's dialed and tuned, you don't turn it off
Old 8th November 2012, 05:27 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Once you have a capable subwoofer system that's dialed and tuned, you don't turn it off
Agreed for sure, but to get a bit pedantic, at what XO freq do separate bass drivers qualify as "subs" rather than just woofers?
Old 8th November 2012, 05:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

To me it's not about the frequency. It's more a physical reason I call them subwoofer. They are a sub-system. Sub-enclosures, to the rest of the system. They can be spread around. Placed behind you if you want. It's implied that xo frequency would be lower than ones ability to locate sound (well), so about 80hz plus or minus 20hz.

If basing the term on a specific frequency, then it would be about 20hz. So, maybe a rotary subwoofer would be called a subwoofer based on it's frequency output.
Old 8th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #19
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

You're probably right there Tux but I'm wondering if a FR might help in dialing in the sub? For guys like me with no measurement equipment and not a lot of experience it seems like it might help or maybe I'm just over (or under!) thinking it.
Old 8th November 2012, 09:17 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I was being a little goofy on that comment. Sure, I always find myself turning my subs back on, personally, but your point is still a good one. If you ever want to use them without subs, the ported is a better choice. And he could block the ports when using subs to allow better integration.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "I'm wondering if a FR might help in dialing in the sub?". I'm not sure a full range driver offers any advantage to a multi way speaker for dialing in subs. But I think I've misunderstood you...

Hide this!Advertise here!