Alpair 10 Gen. 2 Low range performance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 29th October 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 10 Gen. 2 Low range performance

Hi Guys,
You may be interested to read about recent low-range extended tests done on the Alpair 10 Gen. 2 in Japan by Matsumoto San. He's produced an English language version:

LEANAUDIO

Cheers
Mark.
Old 31st October 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Very Good Writeup

Excellent article without going over the top on technicalities. Very good explanation of how x-max should relate to distortion and the effects of suspension stiffness. I enjoyed it!
Old 31st October 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by testproggie View Post
Excellent article without going over the top on technicalities. Very good explanation of how x-max should relate to distortion and the effects of suspension stiffness. I enjoyed it!
Hi Testproggie (Guys),

Matsomoto san is a very guy; An engineer (Honda Formula 1) with expertise in gas-flow and combustion in car engines, his knowledge and application is more than significant. Matsomoto san is now technical writer/translator. He's spent allot of years experimenting with sound systems as a hobby, applying in engineering skills along the way. Since both our backgrounds are similar, we have natural gravity towards each others work.

I encouraged Matsu to publish his latest work as part of an effort to encourage more Diyers to think about using applied/test engineering approaches to better understand the operational properties of drivers.

From my point of interest, I'm happy to work with guys like Matsu. It affords me the opportunity to independently monitor my efforts in the design on long throw low mass full range drivers with compliant suspensions. I well remember in the early days of Markaudio, many guys (amateur and professional) thinking I was crazy to attempt long throw light-load drivers. Matsu wasn't one of them. He encourage me to forge ahead. Happily, the years of hard work and experimentation are proving my efforts.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 31st October 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 4th November 2012, 01:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Results of simple swept sine impulse response measurement would give real results, and easy to repeat for RMS drive voltage.

Intermodultation distortion may be demonstrated by a variety of multiple tone signals, and other broadband techniques are possible too.

Regards

Andrew

Last edited by markaudio; 4th November 2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: diverting from thread topic
Old 4th November 2012, 02:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew (guys)
Words like "silly" are going against the grain. Respect for all members efforts is required. Debate is good, but lets keep comments supportive and constructive.
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 4th November 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 4th November 2012, 03:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Andrew
Start a new thread demonstrating your method on the testing of drivers and be comprehensive with your explanation! Do some tests of your own and publish the results.

The issue of manufactures information provision is another controversial topic, again must be handled in a separate thread.

Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!