Still not convinced to go with a fullrange driver but im tempted... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:20 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
As ChrisB does, I have A7.3's in my HT and crossed to a sub at 160Hz -- that fills in a phasing problem. They will go louder than I can stand. I am working on a small BR for the A10.2. These will eventually go into the HT and be capable of being MUCH louder than I can stand. Then I can get the A7.3's back in my 2-channel where they belong. If you have never heard the A7.3, the A10.2 would do everything you might want. At reasonable SPL, the A7.3 does it better.

Bob

thanks Bob, I was beginning to think it was only us
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:27 PM   #12
ORNJ is offline ORNJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I am more worried about damaging them though with the peaks when there is an explosion or something though. Granted, it could be fun to horn load some of them though and see what happens.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:42 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNJ View Post
I am more worried about damaging them though with the peaks when there is an explosion or something though. Granted, it could be fun to horn load some of them though and see what happens.
The bulk of the energy with explosions, etc is in the bottom end. Once you cross your mains at a reasonable frequency, you no longer have to worry about excursion. You only need to worry about RMS power levels. Broadband noise at 30W is very, very loud.

Bob
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I know that, but I assumed that since these full range drivers cant usually handle alot of power that the slightest surge could cause harm?
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:03 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Nope. There's plenty of power-handling (as wideband drivers go) in the MA units, especially if high-passed. Since the majority of power requirements are < 500Hz, you'd really need to be going some to cause damage.
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

well that's a relief. I am still mainly considering them for my stereo system in my office. However, I can imagine it would be a really nice and dynamic system to have a smaller FR to cover the highs and upper mids and then cross it to a nice high sensitive 6" mid for a 2 way system. that was small and efficient for a small HT system.

I was looking mainly at the MTG-08 from diysoundgroup.com for my HT before as they measure really well and aren't too expensive to build.

It may be nice to try a FR in a small sealed box firing into a "compression chamber" that goes into a full horn for HT use as well. I know I have seen something similar to that somewhere but I never saw any measurements.
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:56 PM   #17
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Too many complicated ideas. Just stuff a 4" or 5" fullrange driver in a little box and be done with it. It will sound good. Or if you want to more frequency extension build a small 2-way. It will not be high efficiency, but neither do you need it. A 2W amplifier powering low efficiency speakers right in front of you on the desk gets painfully loud already.
Old 24th October 2012, 02:54 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

haha, that is what I am going to do, but I am a think out loud kind of person and I just go on and on sometimes.

My apologies.

I will most like do something like a Onken type of enclosure or a pensil. I currently have a Adcom 6000 amp on loan (100w/ch) but I want to get a bottlehead amp built for my office. I already built a quickie and want to get a turntable to restore as well for in here.
Old 29th October 2012, 04:11 AM   #19
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
For home theatre, the Alpair 12P would work great. It's a 6.5" with a shallow cone profile and has the dispersion profile of most 5.25" drivers (yes I've measured). There is no shouting with the 12P like with Fostex drivers. You can either use a helper tweeter 1st order with no crossover on the 12P, or a full crossover at 2kHz. Both sounds great. But I do recommend a tweeter (others may get angry at me for recommending).

It can get very loud and the sound quality is very good. Even used as a typical midwoofer driver in a crossover, the sound is shockingly good. Keep in mind that if you use them away from the wall and have to add BSC, you'll end up with just average efficiency.
hi, where is the best cross point so far for a supertweeter?
Old 29th October 2012, 05:23 AM   #20
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
hi, where is the best cross point so far for a supertweeter?
I used 4kHz LR2 to a ribbon tweeter.

Edit: I'm refering to my Alpair 12P's.

Last edited by cotdt; 29th October 2012 at 05:28 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!