MA Driver Choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading the forums extensively and have a pretty good idea of the drivers, I think, with out having heard either... ie 7.3 is magical and works will in the FH MK3 but doesn't move a lot of air, the 12P is dynamic, is efficient enough to be run by SET amps but loses some of the detail and imaging magic of the 7.3 due to the laws of physics, compromises as they say.

My room front room is large, 15' wide, 35 long and up to 12' ceilings with a gorgeous ocean & mountain view. I've been obsessing whether to get...

A) a flat pac Frugal horn MK3 with the MA 7.3 driver driven by a 50 watt EL34 PP amp....or.....

B) the new Pensil build for the 12p possibly powered by a SET amp even perhaps the dinky but OK Miniwatt N3.

Will be used for most types of music (folk, rock, blues etc) but really starting to appreciate vocals and strings on good systems as well as tele n movies but 2 channel hi fi tunes are the focus. I'd probably get a sub in the future regardless of what speaker I had. I think I'm only interested in floorstanders, don't really feel like having stands.

I'm wondering what all your thoughts are on A) the two choices and B) more thoughts on the 12P driver. I've read tons of good things on the 7.3 and I realize the 12P is somewhat challenged by it's size pushing the limits of what can be engineered as a FR but still would like to hear more detailed reports on the 12P's sonic attributes and abilities. I admit I do like to get things cranking once in a while but the detail, 3d holographic imaging, smoothness and separation of the 7.3 (according to what I've read) sounds amazing and aided by the horn design could be killer, just wondering if it can handle the size of my place and my occasional tendency to turn it up.

I would like to decide soon but am having trouble doing so therefore I'm happy to let your comments influence my decision.

PS. I haven't really even thought about the 10.2, perhaps that's a decent option as well?

Cheers~

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Tono,

Having given some thot to this (from your email last nite), i think you should give consideration to the Alpair10.2. A driver with near the DDR of the A7.3 and near the dynamics of the A12p and better bass than either. Fits nicely in the Pensil ML-TL or Bob Brine's ML-TL (we have the latter here).

Instead of guessing what we are trying to convey in words we could cover a lot of ground if you could get down here from Alert Bay.

My room is similar but a bit bigger than yours.

As to SE vrs PP... I typically use a 20w EL34 PP, but whenever Bernie brings down his 2A3 SE it is sure enjoyable. No 300B i've yet heard has escaped being too syrupy for my taste. I'm looking forward to hearing the 2A3 PP that Bernie is having built for him.

dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply, ya that would be awesome. I don't get out of Alert Bay often and rarely to Victoria but I need to get to Victoria early next week to visit the passport office. I would absolutely love to hear a few speakers at your place which looks similar in size to what I'm dealing with. Sounds like some guys are getting the 7.3s to very reasonable levels once crossed over on the low end. I like the sound of the 10.2 idea too. This Saturday I'm going to swing by Jess's place again and have another listen to his rig, I think he has Fostex drivers.

Cheers~

Tono

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jess has a real early pair of FE127eN in Bamboo PAWO.

Let me know when you will be here and i'll arrange with Chris to have the A12p here (and i'll see if Jeff will free up his Pensil 12p. I have Bob Brines A10.2 MLTL and Mar-Ken10.2 (with stock drivers), A7.3eN in Maeshowe & stock A7.3 in dMar-Ken7.3 + a lot of the other smaller drivers. One set of FH3 have FE126eN2, the other need to be refitted with TB W5-1611eN.

dave

Hey Tono,

If getting down to Dave's is difficult your welcome to stop in Nanaimo if thats easier for you and listen to my set up. I have the el70 at the moment but will be heading to Dave's again soon and can grab the speakers he mentioned, had ment to grab the frugal horns and the Bob's speakers with the alpair10 today while I was down there but we ran out of time. Also have the Woden Design Victors and Dave's micro fonken ff85wks to listen with my 2a3 set amp.

Bernie

wow very cool thanks Dave n Bernie. When are you gentlemen usually available, evenings? I'll probably be in Nanaimo staying with family on Monday (maybe Tuesday) evening then off to Victoria the next morning. Planning will be a bit tricky but I'll try to make it work. This is kind of a one shot deal. I manage a small cabin resort to I'm unable to get out often. Are there many Planet 10-Mark Audio-Fostex dudes n duddetes in Nanaimo?

If I end up liking the FH MK3 will there be a box kit available for sale and perhaps some stock 7.3 drivers?

Cheers~

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Afternoons are best for me.

I currently have 1 FH3 flat-pak in stock, might take a day or 2 to get it all together.

Normally i only sell treated drivers, but for locals i sometimes make exceptions, since i can save them some shipping & custom's hassles. A7.3 would need to be copper at the moment.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Tono, did you have a chance to go to Dave's and listen to all of the speakers he mentioned? What did you think of the different drivers compared to one another?

I can't speak for Tono, except to say that Bernie is building him a special instance of Bob Beines ML-TL for A10.2eNc. It was a tight race between it an A7.3, but in the end not having to potentially complicate things with helper woofers won out.

dave

Sorry for the late reply. Weeks ago I wrote up something then accidentally deleted it.

I heard four main drivers. The first being the little Fostex in tiny little Micro(?) Fonkens. Ask Dave about nomenclature for his varying size of Fonkens. They were super cool and mids n highs were extremely 3D holographic when powered by Bernies 2A3 amp. Amazing for violins and vocals. Very small amount of bass but at Dave's I heard them matched up with a Rel type sub. It sounded great and in the future I'll probably own some but it wasn't the all-rounder that I was looking for in my first set up.

I heard the EL 70's enabled at Bernies in an stellar mid size Fonken cedar enclosure he made and they were incredible. I've never heard a violin sound so real. I could hear the wood of the violin resonating. This was an eye/ear opening experience. Bernie has quite a few sets of speakers (all gorgeous ones he has crafted) and I think he uses these the most often. Extremely 3D and holographic and with a bit of bass to boot. I also heard the EL 70 enabled in a tall pyramid type enclosure made out of MDF. They sounded good but I found the sonics a bit dark and recessed due to either the enclosure design or the MDF material. They still sounded good but just personal preference I guess.

At Dave's I heard the 7.3's enabled and non-enabled. Non-enabled had more shimmer (? not sure how to describe it, it seemed like a shimmer, but not with detail) and the enabled drivers had a more distinct separation between instruments, more precise focusing of instruments in the soundstage and a deeper soundstage from what I heard (Identical Fonkens side by side, one enabled one not, same components source and material). I preferred the sound of the enabled driver. The sound was smoother, cleaner and just as detailed. I think the enabling process really helps the full range driver deal with replicating multiple instruments playing at one time. The EL 70 vs the 7.3? Both good and I'd be happy either way but I'd probably go 7.3, one half dozen to other, a win win situation.

From memory I heard the 12's in a larger mid size Fonken. They were Ok but not super impressed as compared to the 7.3's. I don't remember hearing the 12's in a full standing enclosure.

Then I heard the 10.2's in a Bob Brines design that Chris and Dave made up. The mids and highs were not as super duper special as the 7.3's but they were decent and had an overall presence that is just what I'm looking for. The bass on these bad boys was full boogy factor and the sound of it, from a full range driver with no subs or crossovers was glorious. Right then and there I knew this was the set up that's gonna be the true full range loudspeaker in my larger space.

I remember at one point hearing the 7.3's and they started to break up. They just couldn't handle any bass heavy music or higher volumes. This was in a Fonken. Perhaps if they were in a Pensil they would have faired better? A super amazing driver but you may need to cross it over with some woofer action but then you'd lose the magical coherency. From what I heard the 10.2 is the true full range Mark Audio driver in a moderate size room and at moderate volumes. In a small room a 7.3 in a Pensil with room gain at moderate volumes and less will be so good it's surreal. I could have gone with the 7.3 as my wife doesn't much like the SPL's going much past 60, 70 would be full out max for her. However I wanted the option, for when she's out or when I have friends over that we can turn it up a bit to around 80+ db and boogie down the whole joint~

A huge thanks to Bernie, Dave and Chris.

Cheers~

Tono

Hi Tono,

Interesting read. I'm trying to choose a FR driver by reading stuff on here. I want something quality and suited to my needs but don't have a lot of cash that can be spent trailing drivers. At the moment I'm considering the Markaudio a7, a10 and a12's but also the Fostex F200A but I can't seem to find anyone who has made a direct comparison between any Markaudio drivers and the Fostex. Can I just ask, What is involved in the 'enabling' process for MA drivers?

Many thanks,
Matt

Hi Tono,

Interesting read. I'm trying to choose a FR driver by reading stuff on here. I want something quality and suited to my needs but don't have a lot of cash that can be spent trailing drivers. At the moment I'm considering the Markaudio a7, a10 and a12's but also the Fostex F200A but I can't seem to find anyone who has made a direct comparison between any Markaudio drivers and the Fostex. Can I just ask, What is involved in the 'enabling' process for MA drivers?

Many thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,
So you're a Leicester lad? I lived in Sileby, Birstall, Barlestone and on Scraptoft Lane before escaping to parts of the new world. If you need advice, feel free to email me: support@makraudio.com

I'm in Australia and NZ until Dec 18th so checking email isn't daily.

Cheers
Mark.

Matt,

What type of music do you listen to? Any other duty these speakers are going to do? Room size? - Folks can chip in with the their thoughts accordingly. All of the MA drivers you've mentioned are good, but each would have their strong points depending on application, room size, speaker cabinet choice, and amplification used.

- Zia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.