MA Driver Choice - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 10th December 2012, 06:19 PM   #31
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Matt,

As ChrisB and Mr. Brines has already mentioned, the Alpair 7.3 is a very nice driver to listen too. Yet the detail level it can extract is amazing. It also works well with the amps I tested with - Tube amps (low watt SEP), Class-D (Hypex, ICEPower, and Tripath). The cabinet was P10 Dave's Mar-Ken 7.3, and the speakers were for a friend.

I have a pair of Alp 12 (metal cone) which is very revealing of source and material but not as nice to listen to the Alp 7.3. Actually they are pretty good, but I got spoiled by listening to the Alp 7.3 . However they can play louder, they are more dynamic and go lower (with less excursion) in the right cabinet.

I find the new Alp 12P (paper cone) is very good - plenty of detail and I really like the tonal characteristics. Slightly more laid back, midrange is superb and very pleasant to listen too. Highs are good too. But won't go low in a small box vs other MA drivers. I intend to put my pair in a compact bookshelf later this week as I ponder over the larger enclosure.
Old 10th December 2012, 06:55 PM   #32
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Sorry, forgot to mention that the A12 Metal are no longer in production by Mark Audio.
Old 10th December 2012, 07:31 PM   #33
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention that the A12 Metal are no longer in production by Mark Audio.

never say never with Mark - just maybe "not presently", or "how longer after my cheque clears for the first 500 pieces?"
Old 12th December 2012, 02:02 PM   #34
pepsi is offline pepsi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think its going to be a toss up between the a7 and a10. At the moment I've got a pair of Vifa NE65W in 1.7litre spheres. The F3 is 180hz with a Q of 0.684. I'm almost satisfied with the bass at low volumes whith a little bit of EQ to boost it. Also, If I sit in exactly the right place in my small room with the volume really low and no background noise, I can hear deep fast bass thats punchy, rythmic and dynamic but its probably about -30 or 40db below the rest of the music. If i could hear bass like that at slightly more normal listening levels, i think i'd be a very very happy chappy. Especially if I could hear them coming out of an a7: matched with really nice mids and highs.

Has anyone been able to compare the Vifa NE65W with any of the MA alpairs?

Many thanks,
Matt
Old 12th December 2012, 07:00 PM   #35
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think its going to be a toss up between the a7 and a10. At the moment I've got a pair of Vifa NE65W in 1.7litre spheres. The F3 is 180hz with a Q of 0.684. I'm almost satisfied with the bass at low volumes whith a little bit of EQ to boost it. Also, If I sit in exactly the right place in my small room with the volume really low and no background noise, I can hear deep fast bass thats punchy, rythmic and dynamic but its probably about -30 or 40db below the rest of the music. If i could hear bass like that at slightly more normal listening levels, i think i'd be a very very happy chappy. Especially if I could hear them coming out of an a7: matched with really nice mids and highs.

Has anyone been able to compare the Vifa NE65W with any of the MA alpairs?

Many thanks,
Matt

Without debating the matter of suitability of spheres for loudspeaker enclosures, one thing to keep in mind regarding all Mark Audio drivers is the somewhat larger than normal frame dimensions for given cone size. Take close look at the drawings for the Alp7 and 10 on Mark's website

Markaudio

Many of the enclosures which I build are intentionally very narrow, and when using MA drivers have required manipulation of dimensions to get them to fit on the front baffles.

As to the question of comparisons of different driver brands, that's question best pursued in the non-vendor section of the forum, or by PM.

I've not heard the one you mention.

Hide this!Advertise here!