MA Driver Choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tono,

Interesting read. I'm trying to choose a FR driver by reading stuff on here. I want something quality and suited to my needs but don't have a lot of cash that can be spent trailing drivers. At the moment I'm considering the Markaudio a7, a10 and a12's but also the Fostex F200A but I can't seem to find anyone who has made a direct comparison between any Markaudio drivers and the Fostex. Can I just ask, What is involved in the 'enabling' process for MA drivers?

Many thanks,
Matt

Matt, a few random thoughts:

The Fostex F200A is a stupendous driver, but at approx 3x the price of the current top of Mark's standard line model A12P, ( $487 ea USD vs $157), is a substantially greater investment.

I doubt there will be very many folks who've made the type of direct comparison between the F200A and any of the MA drivers that you're looking for, but would be happy to be corrected on that. At well over $1000 landed cost for raw drivers ( taxes, freight etc), the F200A are far beyond any budget I can foresee.

Of the MA drivers, there seems to be a consensus developing that if you want to avoid the need for support woofers, the A10.2 would be a very logical choice - it works particularly well in a full sized MLTL such as Brines' A10M10 or Scott's Pensil. The 12ps do quite a few things "better" than the smaller drivers, but much larger enclosures are required to demonstrate their full potential.

My personal favorite of the Alpairs is the 7.3, but I'm using them in a HT rig with attendant XO( 110 Hz) and supporting woofers.

The treatment process you mentioned is not restricted to any brand or type of driver, and is controversial enough that it should probably be discussed elsewhere. Actually, it has been, to much entertainment and heated debate - but as far as I'm concerned it's one of those things that really needs to be heard, rather than talked about. Disclaimer: I've been a big fan of it for over 5yrs, but am well past the proselytizing stage - as many builders / listeners can attest, Mark's drivers are quite wonderful without any magic polka dots.

Matt,

What type of music do you listen to? Any other duty these speakers are going to do? Room size? - Folks can chip in with the their thoughts accordingly. All of the MA drivers you've mentioned are good, but each would have their strong points depending on application, room size, speaker cabinet choice, and amplification used.

- Zia

Hi Zia,

Thanks for the reply. I listen to anything thats interesting! I also want the speakers to be recording studio and mastering monitors. Possibly as a main pair or as a reference. At the moment they'll be in a small room (13x17ft) with a 7ft ceiling but I don't expect them to stay there forever.

I want to use a closed box cabinet so I'm less likely to hear delayed or reflected sounds which came out the back of the driver. For the internal shape of the enclosure, I want to use something similar to a sphere or an ovoid to control internal reflections. For the outside of the enclosure I will probably want to use a similar shape with the aim of reducing baffle edge diffraction effects to a low frequency. The enclosure will probably be an evolution.

I haven't started looking into amplification but I want to start with single ended tube.

Matt

Of the MA drivers, there seems to be a consensus developing that if you want to avoid the need for support woofers, the A10.2 would be a very logical choice - it works particularly well in a full sized MLTL such as Brines' A10M10 or Scott's Pensil. The 12ps do quite a few things "better" than the smaller drivers, but much larger enclosures are required to demonstrate their full potential.

My personal favorite of the Alpairs is the 7.3, but I'm using them in a HT rig with attendant XO( 110 Hz) and supporting woofers.

The treatment process you mentioned is not restricted to any brand or type of driver, and is controversial enough that it should probably be discussed elsewhere. Actually, it has been, to much entertainment and heated debate - but as far as I'm concerned it's one of those things that really needs to be heard, rather than talked about. Disclaimer: I've been a big fan of it for over 5yrs, but am well past the proselytizing stage - as many builders / listeners can attest, Mark's drivers are quite wonderful without any magic polka dots.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info about enabling. In your opinion, how do the mids and highs on the a10's compare to the a7's? I'm trying to work out if its worth trading the highs for an extra 20hz at the bottom.

Matt

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info about enabling. In your opinion, how do the mids and highs on the a10's compare to the a7's? I'm trying to work out if its worth trading the highs for an extra 20hz at the bottom.

Matt

well then, for me what the 7.3 gives up to the 10.2 in bass extension and to a lesser degree, sensitivity and max SPL, it (7.3) more than makes up for in spades in exactly the areas you describe

even in the HT application, my listening is at low to moderate levels at best (hardly every breaching 90dB SPL at 3 meters), and I've yet to need to turn 7s down due to amp clipping, compression, doppler or whatever other artifacts could/should theoretically limit a small FR driver's performance

in other words, for me, yes, the trade-off is definitely worth it, but of course YMMV, caveat emptor, etc

edit: PS: , the 7.3s will certainly work in a sealed enclosure, but are far more enjoyable in vented designs such as the MarKens, Pensils, FH3, and Maeshowe (to name the ones in which I've heard them most extensively)

Last edited:
I've heard it mentioned that some of the markaudio drivers are less forgiving than others and reveal shortcoming of source/amplifiers. This unforgiving quality is something i think i would like in a recording studio reference monitor.

Oh, I don't know about that. At this moment, I am listening to A7.3's fed by a satellite feed through a TiVo Q-box and a Yamaha RX-V665. Very musical and easy to listen to. Brahms Serenade #2., BTW.

Bob

Matt,

As ChrisB and Mr. Brines has already mentioned, the Alpair 7.3 is a very nice driver to listen too. Yet the detail level it can extract is amazing. It also works well with the amps I tested with - Tube amps (low watt SEP), Class-D (Hypex, ICEPower, and Tripath). The cabinet was P10 Dave's Mar-Ken 7.3, and the speakers were for a friend.

I have a pair of Alp 12 (metal cone) which is very revealing of source and material but not as nice to listen to the Alp 7.3. Actually they are pretty good, but I got spoiled by listening to the Alp 7.3 :). However they can play louder, they are more dynamic and go lower (with less excursion) in the right cabinet.

I find the new Alp 12P (paper cone) is very good - plenty of detail and I really like the tonal characteristics. Slightly more laid back, midrange is superb and very pleasant to listen too. Highs are good too. But won't go low in a small box vs other MA drivers. I intend to put my pair in a compact bookshelf later this week as I ponder over the larger enclosure.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think its going to be a toss up between the a7 and a10. At the moment I've got a pair of Vifa NE65W in 1.7litre spheres. The F3 is 180hz with a Q of 0.684. I'm almost satisfied with the bass at low volumes whith a little bit of EQ to boost it. Also, If I sit in exactly the right place in my small room with the volume really low and no background noise, I can hear deep fast bass thats punchy, rythmic and dynamic but its probably about -30 or 40db below the rest of the music. If i could hear bass like that at slightly more normal listening levels, i think i'd be a very very happy chappy. Especially if I could hear them coming out of an a7: matched with really nice mids and highs.

Has anyone been able to compare the Vifa NE65W with any of the MA alpairs?

Many thanks,
Matt

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I think its going to be a toss up between the a7 and a10. At the moment I've got a pair of Vifa NE65W in 1.7litre spheres. The F3 is 180hz with a Q of 0.684. I'm almost satisfied with the bass at low volumes whith a little bit of EQ to boost it. Also, If I sit in exactly the right place in my small room with the volume really low and no background noise, I can hear deep fast bass thats punchy, rythmic and dynamic but its probably about -30 or 40db below the rest of the music. If i could hear bass like that at slightly more normal listening levels, i think i'd be a very very happy chappy. Especially if I could hear them coming out of an a7: matched with really nice mids and highs.

Has anyone been able to compare the Vifa NE65W with any of the MA alpairs?

Many thanks,
Matt

Without debating the matter of suitability of spheres for loudspeaker enclosures, one thing to keep in mind regarding all Mark Audio drivers is the somewhat larger than normal frame dimensions for given cone size. Take close look at the drawings for the Alp7 and 10 on Mark's website

Markaudio

Many of the enclosures which I build are intentionally very narrow, and when using MA drivers have required manipulation of dimensions to get them to fit on the front baffles.

As to the question of comparisons of different driver brands, that's question best pursued in the non-vendor section of the forum, or by PM.

I've not heard the one you mention.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.