Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 8th December 2012, 08:53 PM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
Hi Tono,

Interesting read. I'm trying to choose a FR driver by reading stuff on here. I want something quality and suited to my needs but don't have a lot of cash that can be spent trailing drivers. At the moment I'm considering the Markaudio a7, a10 and a12's but also the Fostex F200A but I can't seem to find anyone who has made a direct comparison between any Markaudio drivers and the Fostex. Can I just ask, What is involved in the 'enabling' process for MA drivers?

Many thanks,
Matt

Matt, a few random thoughts:

The Fostex F200A is a stupendous driver, but at approx 3x the price of the current top of Mark's standard line model A12P, ( $487 ea USD vs $157), is a substantially greater investment.

I doubt there will be very many folks who've made the type of direct comparison between the F200A and any of the MA drivers that you're looking for, but would be happy to be corrected on that. At well over $1000 landed cost for raw drivers ( taxes, freight etc), the F200A are far beyond any budget I can foresee.

Of the MA drivers, there seems to be a consensus developing that if you want to avoid the need for support woofers, the A10.2 would be a very logical choice - it works particularly well in a full sized MLTL such as Brines' A10M10 or Scott's Pensil. The 12ps do quite a few things "better" than the smaller drivers, but much larger enclosures are required to demonstrate their full potential.

My personal favorite of the Alpairs is the 7.3, but I'm using them in a HT rig with attendant XO( 110 Hz) and supporting woofers.

The treatment process you mentioned is not restricted to any brand or type of driver, and is controversial enough that it should probably be discussed elsewhere. Actually, it has been, to much entertainment and heated debate - but as far as I'm concerned it's one of those things that really needs to be heard, rather than talked about. Disclaimer: I've been a big fan of it for over 5yrs, but am well past the proselytizing stage - as many builders / listeners can attest, Mark's drivers are quite wonderful without any magic polka dots.
Old 9th December 2012, 10:15 PM   #22
pepsi is offline pepsi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Matt,

What type of music do you listen to? Any other duty these speakers are going to do? Room size? - Folks can chip in with the their thoughts accordingly. All of the MA drivers you've mentioned are good, but each would have their strong points depending on application, room size, speaker cabinet choice, and amplification used.

- Zia
Hi Zia,

Thanks for the reply. I listen to anything thats interesting! I also want the speakers to be recording studio and mastering monitors. Possibly as a main pair or as a reference. At the moment they'll be in a small room (13x17ft) with a 7ft ceiling but I don't expect them to stay there forever.

I want to use a closed box cabinet so I'm less likely to hear delayed or reflected sounds which came out the back of the driver. For the internal shape of the enclosure, I want to use something similar to a sphere or an ovoid to control internal reflections. For the outside of the enclosure I will probably want to use a similar shape with the aim of reducing baffle edge diffraction effects to a low frequency. The enclosure will probably be an evolution.

I haven't started looking into amplification but I want to start with single ended tube.

Matt
Old 9th December 2012, 10:44 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

Of the MA drivers, there seems to be a consensus developing that if you want to avoid the need for support woofers, the A10.2 would be a very logical choice - it works particularly well in a full sized MLTL such as Brines' A10M10 or Scott's Pensil. The 12ps do quite a few things "better" than the smaller drivers, but much larger enclosures are required to demonstrate their full potential.

My personal favorite of the Alpairs is the 7.3, but I'm using them in a HT rig with attendant XO( 110 Hz) and supporting woofers.

The treatment process you mentioned is not restricted to any brand or type of driver, and is controversial enough that it should probably be discussed elsewhere. Actually, it has been, to much entertainment and heated debate - but as far as I'm concerned it's one of those things that really needs to be heard, rather than talked about. Disclaimer: I've been a big fan of it for over 5yrs, but am well past the proselytizing stage - as many builders / listeners can attest, Mark's drivers are quite wonderful without any magic polka dots.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info about enabling. In your opinion, how do the mids and highs on the a10's compare to the a7's? I'm trying to work out if its worth trading the highs for an extra 20hz at the bottom.

Matt
Old 9th December 2012, 11:09 PM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
...a sphere or an ovoid to control internal reflections.
A sphere is one of the worst possible shapes for internal reflections.

dave
Old 9th December 2012, 11:11 PM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
how do the mids and highs on the a10's compare to the a7's? I'm trying to work out if its worth trading the highs for an extra 20hz at the bottom.
In the small room there won't be as much to give up and a large studio you are going to need woofer support for either.

No matter which you pick you'll win.

dave
Old 9th December 2012, 11:33 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A sphere is one of the worst possible shapes for internal reflections.

dave
Hi Dave,

Have you got access to any measurements to back this up?

Many thanks,
Matt
Old 10th December 2012, 12:20 AM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are lots out there, With all walls equidistant you get a large pressure point in the centre of the cabinet. Likely one of the best atyicles is the B&W paper on their teardrop mid enclosure.

dave
Old 10th December 2012, 03:28 AM   #28
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info about enabling. In your opinion, how do the mids and highs on the a10's compare to the a7's? I'm trying to work out if its worth trading the highs for an extra 20hz at the bottom.

Matt

well then, for me what the 7.3 gives up to the 10.2 in bass extension and to a lesser degree, sensitivity and max SPL, it (7.3) more than makes up for in spades in exactly the areas you describe

even in the HT application, my listening is at low to moderate levels at best (hardly every breaching 90dB SPL at 3 meters), and I've yet to need to turn 7s down due to amp clipping, compression, doppler or whatever other artifacts could/should theoretically limit a small FR driver's performance

in other words, for me, yes, the trade-off is definitely worth it, but of course YMMV, caveat emptor, etc

edit: PS: , the 7.3s will certainly work in a sealed enclosure, but are far more enjoyable in vented designs such as the MarKens, Pensils, FH3, and Maeshowe (to name the ones in which I've heard them most extensively)

Last edited by chrisb; 10th December 2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: not quite happy with first edit
Old 10th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I've heard it mentioned that some of the markaudio drivers are less forgiving than others and reveal shortcoming of source/amplifiers. This unforgiving quality is something i think i would like in a recording studio reference monitor.
Old 10th December 2012, 03:15 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've heard it mentioned that some of the markaudio drivers are less forgiving than others and reveal shortcoming of source/amplifiers. This unforgiving quality is something i think i would like in a recording studio reference monitor.
Oh, I don't know about that. At this moment, I am listening to A7.3's fed by a satellite feed through a TiVo Q-box and a Yamaha RX-V665. Very musical and easy to listen to. Brahms Serenade #2., BTW.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!