Best floorstanding plan for Alpair 10.2 ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 18th September 2012, 09:03 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekiller View Post
Could you tell me the design factor for A10.2 BLH application.
I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to by 'design factor' I'm afraid Brian. All drive units can be horn loaded across some portion of their BW; that's just a matter of basic physics. How wide the practical horn loaded BW is and what the upper and lower corner frequencies are depends on the driver in question and to an extent, the amplifier powering it.
Old 18th September 2012, 09:12 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Regarding the pensils, Bob is quite correct; a nominally simple build was a major priority. With that said, performance wasn't secondary per se, but they have a different alignment to Bob's (excellent) MLTLs. They're generally tuned higher, with a pro-audio style FR, and TL levels of damping to flatten the impedance & keep cone deflection reasonably linear.

The exception to that ironically is the one for the 10.2. Ideally, to maintain the same style of alignment as the other pensils, it actually should be taller for the same total Vb; to maintain physical consistency, I accepted a deviation from the usual alignment I use & kept the box height the same as in the other boxes. Still works reasonably, but not quite the same, and not necessarily the most elegant proportions in this particular case.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 18th September 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 18th September 2012, 09:57 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

How about using TQWT design for A10.2 as you said the Pencil is not optimal.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:28 PM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekiller View Post
How about using TQWT design for A10.2 as you said the Pencil is not optimal.

IINM one of Scott's earlier (now orphaned) design series were a new take on the venerated Voigt pipe / TQWT - I'll let him "pipe in" as to whether any were actually built? Certainly many similar designs would "work" well enough, but if I may, to describe the Pensil as "not optimal" (compared to what?) based on this thread, is a disservice to all.

All kidding aside, I can heartily recommend the A10 M10
Old 18th September 2012, 10:36 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

For interest, what most people call a TQWT is actually a conical horn, albeit one that (usually) isn't impedance matched down to the 1/4 wave cutoff frequency. Right Chris, I did do a few for the MA units. Beltane, Samhain & Solstice. Currently lurking in the electronic equivalent of my drawer of many things. A couple were built & they worked fine.

Re the pensil for the 10.2, I didn't say it's not optimal, I said it deviates from the usual pensil alignment. That may or may not be optimal depending on requirements. Unless a box is designed for a specific situation, it's always a compromise, and even then there are tradeoffs to make, since we don't live in a perfect world. Alas.

You could run a nice simple sealed floorstander; call it 29 litres, give you a critically damped Qtc; F3 around 80Hz & a good match to a couple of quality subs. If you want more output / LF extension, my suggestion of existing box designs that I know about would be for Bob's MLTL (which is certainly more pencil-like in appearance!) or the pensil if you don't mind its somewhat squat looks in 10.2 guise.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 18th September 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:57 PM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
... I did do a few for the MA units. Beltane, Samhain & Solstice...
I particularily liked the graphic that went with Beltane... after the last thread imagining dancing around the fire with Ms Shahi

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 18th September 2012, 11:37 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

It is too nice to have great advices from three masters. Thanks a lot.
Old 18th September 2012, 11:45 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
For interest, what most people call a TQWT is actually a conical horn, albeit one that (usually) isn't impedance matched down to the 1/4 wave cutoff frequency. Right Chris, I did do a few for the MA units. Beltane, Samhain & Solstice. Currently lurking in the electronic equivalent of my drawer of many things. A couple were built & they worked fine.

Re the pensil for the 10.2, I didn't say it's not optimal, I said it deviates from the usual pensil alignment. That may or may not be optimal depending on requirements. Unless a box is designed for a specific situation, it's always a compromise, and even then there are tradeoffs to make, since we don't live in a perfect world. Alas.

You could run a nice simple sealed floorstander; call it 29 litres, give you a critically damped Qtc; F3 around 80Hz & a good match to a couple of quality subs. If you want more output / LF extension, my suggestion of existing box designs that I know about would be for Bob's MLTL (which is certainly more pencil-like in appearance!) or the pensil if you don't mind its somewhat squat looks in 10.2 guise.
For my case, sealed box maybe a good choice. How many stuff shall I put inside that 29L enclosure?
Old 18th September 2012, 11:49 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

29 litre is probably a bit large after you damp the box. I'd suggest damped and 20-23 litre.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif alpair10g2-sealed.gif (19.0 KB, 358 views)
Old 19th September 2012, 12:26 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

But, 29L already seems small for floorstanding. Am I do the wrong math?

Hide this!Advertise here!