close to the wall - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 15th September 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
kevinr is offline kevinr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default close to the wall

If I purchase a pair of the Mark Audio Alpair 7 drivers and put them on stands I wouldn't be able to put them very far away from the back wall due to listening room size limitations .
13 X 14 x 8 with good sized openings on each end by the speakers leading to other rooms.
I didn't know if these drivers would work effectively being so close to the rear wall and wanted to ask for opinions/advice before going this direction .
They would go in the Mark Audio recommended enclosure and port dimensions .
I do see the Pensil design and will either go that route or buy a PE curved cabinet .

Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
If I purchase a pair of the Mark Audio Alpair 7 drivers and put them on stands I wouldn't be able to put them very far away from the back wall due to listening room size limitations .
13 X 14 x 8 with good sized openings on each end by the speakers leading to other rooms.
I didn't know if these drivers would work effectively being so close to the rear wall and wanted to ask for opinions/advice before going this direction .
They would go in the Mark Audio recommended enclosure and port dimensions .
I do see the Pensil design and will either go that route or buy a PE curved cabinet .

Thanks

They'll work just fine close to the wall.

I've heard several different single and multi-ways in the PE boxes - they're OK if you haven't the ability to build your own, but the Pensils (preferably in quality plywood) will be worth every penny and hour of your time - it's not even close - plus you save money on not needing stands
Old 15th September 2012, 03:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

okay , that's what I needed to know not being familiar with these MA drivers I didn't know if boundary re-inforcement or lack thereof was an issue or not .
I'll go with the Pensil design as soon as I figure out which one is applicable .
I see there are different designs for different MA drivers and also one called the Woden design that looks to be a larger interior due to increased depth.
Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 08:06 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
okay , that's what I needed to know not being familiar with these MA drivers I didn't know if boundary re-inforcement or lack thereof was an issue or not .
I'll go with the Pensil design as soon as I figure out which one is applicable .
I see there are different designs for different MA drivers and also one called the Woden design that looks to be a larger interior due to increased depth.
Thanks
Woden is the name of Scott Lindgren's commercial design enteriprise - there are numerous enclosure designs for a range of Fostex and Mark Audio drivers, as well as other exotics.

The correct Pensil enclosure for the current Alpair7.3 would be :
http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensi...sil7s3-map.pdf

These are a fairly easy build, particularly if you don't get as elaborate with bracing as some folks

Just be sure to fabricate with at least part of rear panel removable to allow for adjustment to levels of fill material. FWIW, for use with my Denon surround receiver, I ended up removing at least 1/3 of the amount recommended on the drawing. To a fair degree with will be system/room dependent and I'm not sure what other builders have found.

Just please used quality plywood not MDF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.3 Penils MarKenT 004.jpg (293.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 15th September 2012, 10:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default makes dust fine

okay , printed the PDF out , thanks for posting the link to it .
I'll be using quality Baltic Birch from our local lumber yard . Don't care for the unhealthy dusty MDF

Hide this!Advertise here!