Alpair 10 vs Alpair 7 - Open baffle with boxed woofer. Passive Xover. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 29th August 2012, 01:16 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Chris,

I did have that problem with the A7, have not had that issue with this driver, it's truly an exceptional speaker! Furthermore I listen to large symphonic such as Bruckner, Messiaen etc as well as rock and chamber music. My room is only 14X22 so not big and well damped. Incidentally, in a OB configuration these speakers not only can rock they can handle large symphonic fortissimos comfortably.
Old 29th August 2012, 01:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ramon, is that a Pete Millett DCPP amp sitting on the floor?

jeff
Old 29th August 2012, 02:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Chris,

Had that problem with A7 not with 12P, that includes vinyl playback especially. Now I did not mention a few changes to my amp although minor such as a cap change and tube change. Regardless this 12P is a gem. I listen to large symphonic, rock and chamber music with no crossover on drivers. Gain and decibel levels are a non issue in a damped room 14X22 and a OB gives you an open deep soundstage that simply won't happen with A box!
Old 29th August 2012, 02:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Ramon, is that a Pete Millett DCPP amp sitting on the floor?

jeff
Jeff,

Yes, that is Millet Engineers Amp at my friends house and sounds excellent with 12P's. I use a custom Golden Tube SE 40 and IMHO sounds spectacular with the12P!
Old 29th August 2012, 04:23 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Verdi View Post
I use a custom Golden Tube SE 40 and IMHO sounds spectacular with the12P!
Not surprised. This past weekend I was able to hook my 12P's up to a 2A3 SET amp. Turned out to be quite a nice combo.

jeff
Old 29th August 2012, 07:26 AM   #16
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

The objective is to create something similar (in concept) to the Lola Micro Grand Reference. The baffle needs to be small/narrow as possible. Ribbon tweeter optional. Simple XO network. 6db XO @ 400 from woofer box to open Alpair 10. XO any higher and the 'open' mid starts to become a bit pointless. Mayas well box the mid. May aswell foget the whole 'open' idea. So I'm kind of sticking with the A-10 at this stag. Unless someone can verify low XO point for an A-7 on a minimal baffle. Then just with a helper tweeter to restore the 'air' lost with A-10 (without a dedicated tweeter).
Old 29th August 2012, 08:22 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Great Monte Verdi !

well hopes that mark will look on more OB compatible ones...
no box=fast sell
Old 29th August 2012, 06:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMBoZ View Post
The objective is to create something similar (in concept) to the Lola Micro Grand Reference. The baffle needs to be small/narrow as possible. Ribbon tweeter optional. Simple XO network. 6db XO @ 400 from woofer box to open Alpair 10. XO any higher and the 'open' mid starts to become a bit pointless. Mayas well box the mid. May aswell foget the whole 'open' idea. So I'm kind of sticking with the A-10 at this stag. Unless someone can verify low XO point for an A-7 on a minimal baffle. Then just with a helper tweeter to restore the 'air' lost with A-10 (without a dedicated tweeter).
From my experience 22" wide is minimum too avoid mid band suckout. We have built numerous prototypes and found that wings and or wide baffle is the most suitable solution.

Ramon
Old 29th August 2012, 09:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Monti, Is the 12.2 able to match the 7.2 in clarity and imaging. I love the 10.2, but it gets congested on material that the 7.3 handles without problems. Have you considered cheating on the baffle width by angling the two sides back?
Old 29th August 2012, 11:38 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Monti, Is the 12.2 able to match the 7.2 in clarity and imaging. I love the 10.2, but it gets congested on material that the 7.3 handles without problems. Have you considered cheating on the baffle width by angling the two sides back?
Yes, it has every bit the clarity as the 7.2 & 7.3, imaging and soundstage are larger as well. Lastly as I mentioned earlier the 12P has better synergy between highs and lows!

Ramon

Hide this!Advertise here!