Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 9th August 2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Planet10 wrote
Quote:
I look forward to seeing them dressed up -- you come up with some fantastic veneers.
Well dave, I'm torn between rounding over the edges of the speakers and having them professionally spray painted in a colour to match the cones, or veneer them in something like a nice light Birch Burr as per the below photo.

Click the image to open in full size.

vinylkid58 wrote
Quote:
Soundstage isn't their strongest attribute IMHO.
Well last night I had a play with different amps. My SE300b monoblocs, a SE6EM7 integrated and a SS PassLabs F5. The interesting thing with this experiement was the difference portrayal of the soundstage. The tube amps by far outperformed the SS amp even though all 3 amps share the same basic unity gain pre with Silk TVA's. So the only conclusion I can come to is these drivers excel with a tube amp.
Old 9th August 2012, 08:38 AM   #12
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Colin,

Nice compact build (with stylish stand) and thanks for the detailed update. Good to know that the speakers are sounding good too. I've got my pair too, and need to start the break in process.

- Zia
Old 9th August 2012, 04:17 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Colin - I'd vote for the veneer every time - the Birch burl shown is particularly nice

by the time you factor in all the material and labour cost/time to get a pro paint job worthy of these drivers, the veneer and simple clear coat finish could easier be cheaper

while fine for stands & bases, I'm simply not a fan of painted (or plastic laminated) speaker boxes

and as to the synergy between the 12P and the amps you named, maybe there's more to it than just the numbers - these guys also work quite well with P/P like triode connected EL34, or pentode EL84

Last edited by chrisb; 9th August 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 9th August 2012, 05:45 PM   #14
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

+1, I'll second veneer over paint!

Re: extension, iirc, it was said the A12P MarKen really required a sub, do you find your project satisfying without the need for a subwoofer? Mind if i ask the tuning frequency of the port?
Old 9th August 2012, 06:39 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
+1, I'll second veneer over paint!

Re: extension, iirc, it was said the A12P MarKen really required a sub, do you find your project satisfying without the need for a subwoofer? Mind if i ask the tuning frequency of the port?

FWIW, the tuning and enclosure bracing protocol that Dave has employed in the "-ken" series has always emphasized smoother rolloff - even if starting at higher frequencies than any of the conventional BR methods. For me this results in leaner / cleaner bass - I notice it in more articulated harmonics of acoustic bass instruments and hand-stricken drums (tabla, etc), and in cases where the bass impact / extension is lacking, add woofers to taste.

I've also found that regardless of driver make / model they ('kens") excel in imaging and soundstage dimension compared to MLTLs, such as the Pensils, Brines' excellent M10A10, the P10 Castle Microtower, to name but a few. IINM, that's what Jeff was referring to in his comment:

Quote:
Soundstage isn't their strongest attribute IMHO.

jeff
as of yet Dave has lived with the Markens for a few weeks, but hasn't heard the SP A12P, while Jeff & I have.
Old 9th August 2012, 06:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppsy View Post
or veneer them in something like a nice light Birch Burl
Another vote for veneer, especially the lighter varieties. They seem to compliment the blue drivers.

Quote:
So the only conclusion I can come to is these drivers excel with a tube amp.
I have a few PP options, but what to try some small SE amps with the 12p's.

jeff
Old 9th August 2012, 06:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Most seem to be pushing for a veneer finish over paint. I agree

I emailed my veneer supplier yesterday to enquire if he still had any the Birch Burr in the photo and though he is presently on holiday he promised to check on Monday and post some to me for delivery Tuesday. If I remember when I originally enquired of this veneer a couple months back, 3 leaves (237cm x 70cm) was 140.00, Shipping - 12.00 and VAT = 30.40. Total to pay = 182.40.

For these smaller speakers and stands I only need perhaps 1-leaf but to be safe I've ordered 1 -leaves. Still gonna cost around 84.00 UKP. But still likely cheaper than a pro paint job if I don't factor in my time to cover them.
Old 9th August 2012, 07:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Yes, the nice veneer is expensive. Covering the Super Pencils isn't going to be cheap.

jeff
Old 9th August 2012, 07:31 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Agreed Jeff.

Another really stunning light veneer is Tamo Ash. This per sq ft is about twice the price of the Birch Burr. I'd love to cover these speakers in that. However, my supplier mainly sells the exotic veneers to the motor trade and Rolls Royce are their main buyers for this veneer. They will only buy full bundles of around 16-leaves and this will all go into a single RR car! They will not buy a part split bundle so my veneering company will only sell to me a full bundle. That's over 1000.00 UKP

If you can buy smaller quantities Stateside then this is one to check out.
Old 9th August 2012, 08:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
However, my supplier mainly sells the exotic veneers to the motor trade and Rolls Royce are their main buyers for this veneer. They will only buy full bundles of around 16-leaves and this will all go into a single RR car!
I would imagine the buyers for Rolls Royce are slightly less concerned about the cost.

jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!