A7.3 crossed @100Hz to a horn sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've seen quite a few ideas over here, similar than mine... but I'm still not sure if it'll work out.
I was thinking about building a 6.4L sealed teardrop-shaped cabinet with a MA fullranger. (preferably the A7.3)

As I'd like to use them for HT purposes too, I want some decent bass output. The idea is to match them to a pair of subwoofers that can also deal with all the LFE material, so I don't need an additional subwoofer. So I started looking for a 'small' footprint bass cabinet to put the teardrops on. That way, my new fronts would look a little like the B&W diamond 800 series.

After some reading, I stumbled upon these: Reed Exodus Anarchy 25hz Tapped Horn
They're based on a double folded horn from Volvotreter and claim to do 25Hz flat.

The only problem is they have to be cut off at around 100Hz, and I'm not sure if the Alpairs can deliver enough at that range. I won't be playing very loud and I'll be using Hypex AS2.100's as amps and DSP, so it should be doable...
But since I'm not really an expert, I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this...

Maybe I should pick a larger FR driver and/or bigger enclosure?

You can find some (poor) measurements from the folded horn in this link: AK Design Collaborative - Insubnia - Page 12 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Any particular reason for horn subs for this application? With the amount of power available from the Hypex modules, you could probably afford a much simpler / smaller enclosure capable of delivering the response you're looking for.

I'm as big a fan as anyone of Baltic Birch plywood, but I'd certainly want to use thicker than a single layer 1/2" for a woofer intended on plumbing to "25Hz flat"

todds%20layout.jpg

As to the Alpair7 - I'm more than happy with running my 7.2 as front row of a 5.1 rig XOed at 110Hz, and playing up to mid 90's SPL in a 320ft^2 room. Woofers are dual 7" Eastech OEM in corner mounted slot vented enclosures, powered by 80W Rotel power amp.

With full stereo DSP such as miniDSP, Behringer, etc, an XO point higher than the low 100s could easily be attained that would further relieve whichever FR driver your might choose from the risk of overwork / damage - BUT you'll want a woofer capable of smooth response at least a couple of octaves above that point, and I'm not sure that the tapped horn project meets that criteria. I'd also be concerned that the dynamic signatures of the horn woofers and sealed widebanders would be noticeably disparate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.