Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 17th July 2012, 06:18 PM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
It seems that a lot of people have trouble with mac mini (or PC) and HDMI through a AV receiver. Unfortunately I can't help here.
Respective the remotes, as all ist connected with HDMI, it should be possible to control (most) things with the Onkyo remote through CEC (RIHD "Onkyo"; SimpLink "LG" ...).
HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to bother your IT guy a bit more
With a Logitech Harmony Remote, after configure, you can control almost everything

does the Harmony allow access to the system setup / configuration settings required both at initial installation, and for some of us, whenever we upgrade or change speaker types or locations?
Old 17th July 2012, 06:28 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

The Harmony is great and can do just about anything if you accept the learnign curve. It can be programmed, but is not intuitive.
Old 18th July 2012, 06:39 AM   #23
Andy17 is offline Andy17  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
does the Harmony allow access to the system setup / configuration settings required both at initial installation, and for some of us, whenever we upgrade or change speaker types or locations?
Normally, Yes.
There are more than 200000 devices in the database
http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?
(And if it is not in, the Harmony can learn from the original remote)
BUT, the normal configuration is for "normal" users
So for special functions you have to go through menus OR you invest the time and put it on the button you like!
The normal handling of the Harmony is based on "actions".
e.g. you press "Watch TV" and the Harmony
turns on TV, AV- and SAT-receiver, select (if necessary) the TV-source, the AV-source maybe your favourite TV-channel ...
So if you have to press a few buttons for your setup/configuration on the original remote you can put all these to one "action" on the Harmony.
But as said, you have to invest some time to understand the configuration(concept). And configuration can be a bit bothersome.
Do the settings the PC-programm, upload it to the Harmony, test it with your devices ... change some settings ...
Old 18th July 2012, 01:44 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

The finishing of your Pensil 7 is really beautiful. What is the veneer using on the Pensil?

Cheers,
Tony.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:40 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musik007 View Post
Hi Mark,

The finishing of your Pensil 7 is really beautiful. What is the veneer using on the Pensil?

Cheers,
Tony.
Hi Tony,
I'm not sure of the name. Will try to find out. It was part of the flat move (from CWB to Hing Keng Shek), the company making our wardrobes offered to make the A/V cabinet and boxes. I'm pleased with the results given that its there first time to make this type of furniture. The used all ply (no MDF).

You and Kenneth are welcome to come over. Let me know when you both have time.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 30th July 2012, 09:34 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Mark - ever get any resolution to the HDMI connectivity issues?
Old 30th July 2012, 10:49 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Mark - ever get any resolution to the HDMI connectivity issues?
Hi Chris, Guys,
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Yesterday, I had a little time to fit the Mini-Toslink from the Mac Mini's headphone socket to the Digital Audio 1 input on the Onkyo NR414 receiver. At first, nothing happened, no sound. I went into system preferences and made sure the output for digital audio was showing, re-started the Mini and the Onkyo, got a result. The sound quality has improved allot.

I'm still running HDMI direct from the Mac-mini to the LG TV. Not sure if I can ditch the HDMI and use the Toslink. Does the Mini-Toslink on the Mac-mini carry a video signal. I have assigned the Digital input 1 on the Onkyo to its PC selector function. Its working for sound, but no video is coming through. Anyone can advise?

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 30th July 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 30th July 2012, 10:51 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

toslink is SP-DIF audio only.

HDMI = DVI + SP-DIF

dave
Old 30th July 2012, 10:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
toslink is SP-DIF audio only.

HDMI = DVI + SP-DIF

dave
OK thanks Dave,
Frustrating as I'm still waiting to a firmware fix from Onkyo. Or if Apple are doing anything to help.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:12 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Try the v-link

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
.... re-started the Mini and the Onkyo, got a result. The sound quality has improved allot.
Hey Mark, the mini-Toslink on the Mac-Mini and macbook are not too shabby at all....so enjoy listening.... and ...... if you want another big jump in quality, try using a Musical Fidelity V-link. It converts USB to optical and is a VERY good sounding interface. Then add Amarra as a playback engine and you'll have a really, really good front end, better than many uber-expensive cd-transports for very little outlay.

And, anticipating the next question, no the v-link does not do video out, only audio up to 192KHz... but what it does, it does beautifully.

To be sure, there are other more expensive usb to spdif converters which may be a tiny bit better, but you have to spend about 10x more to get the extra 2% improvement. Beyond the v-link level of performance, the quality of the recording becomes much more the limiting factor... it takes a very, very, very good recording and very highly resolving system to be able to tell any difference, and when it is there, it generally isn't very noticeable, even to most in the golden ear brigade.

So check it out: Mac-Mini, Amarra and V-link makes for a superb front-end for your spdif or optical inputs on your dac.

I've got it on a Macbook pro with SSD. Sounds really good! Next I'm going to do a mod power supply for the v-link to power it from battery instead of the mac...

Hide this!Advertise here!