Mark's new home set up - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 13th July 2012, 11:07 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

How's Onkyo's customer service on that side of the pond? - a call to their technical service department might help or check for local custom home system installers who may have some tricks up their sleeves of which even a computer / IT genius could be unaware.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
I bought a 5 1m mini-toslink to regular optical, it is only a change in size, no conversion or anything. If you have the option for digital, seems a shame not to use it.

You can just buy mini-toslink adapters, but doesn't seem worth it.
Mini Display port is really great (thunderbolt if new enough).
This company Neet, sells cables that definitely carry audio from DP to HDMI

1.8m - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable by Neet: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
How is the tube amp working in your set up?
Hi Au,
Many thanks for this advice. Will go to the local computer mart tomorrow and buy the Toslink.

Yes, Tony's 300B and the Accuphase aren't linked in any way to the HT system. I run 2 sets of speaker cables and swop over. I was thinking of wiring in a switch box at some point.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 13th July 2012, 11:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I think that depends on the comparative quality of the DACs involved, and from my own experience is not hard to surpass those providing audio line level outputs in any of the Mac /Apple family ( I currently own about 6 such devices) - and I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to change. It should be easy enough to find a mini to standard Toslink cable. But AFAIC the whole point of HDMI is the convenience of all audio / video signal on a single interface connection, and it sure works for me on the ATV streamer - for both Netflix or anything in several iTunes music or movie/photo libraries - you can even push from an iPhone.

That definitely sounds like a few more hours required with the Onkyo's manual to sort out the configuration settings. Wouldn't it be nice if you could get a decent performing "senior's / big button version" of surround receiver (like with cell phones)? It took me about a week to sort through anything beyond the simple audio/speaker configuration menus on on Denon AVR1610, and even now an errant press on any of the 60+ buttons on the remote and things can get very confusing.

Are you running the Mini headless, and controlling via phone or screen share on a lap or desktop Mac?
BTW nice little surround speaker array, sounds familiar

edit: quickly scanning the 90 or so pages of the English language on-line manual, (pages 43/44?) it almost reads like the HDMI inputs are by default expecting to see indication of video signal (even if blank content) - this might be a feature that can't be over-ridden, and for an audio only digital input, you might need to use the Toslink or coaxial inputs.
Hi Chris,
Many thanks for your thoughts and ideas. Alas, given my age a mechanical background, I'm more comfy with a driver frame and a spider in my hands. Still I'm starting to enjoy all this new technology. From my pic, you can see several remotes, driving me nuts working which of several hundred buttons to press. Anyway, I'm gradually learning. The HDMI was the main reason for upgrading all my gear. So Receiver, DVD, Set-top Decoder, TV and a new Mac Mini with its HDMI all can connect using a single cable set. Seems like a good idea but arrrrrrrrgh......the trouble we had getting the Mac's display function to work was terrible. It took my IT guy (who red hot on Mac) nearly 5 hours to make a custom display profile that remained stable. We only achieved stability by connecting the Mini's HDMI direct to the TV, separating the audio side, which defeats the object. Surely, the "seniors" button would be welcome.

I'm operating the Mini via the TV. You might be able to see the remote track pad and keyboard in the pic.

Thanks for the system complement. Designing and building the speaker boxes was easy. The big thing I really like with Alp7/Alp6 speaker set-up is its clean sound. There's no phase differential which for Home Theatre is magical. For Comparison, I swopped the Pensils for a pair of branded 2 way bookshelf units. Horrible, the tweets were screaming while bass drivers were miles behind. I spent an hour working setting up the SPL and timing delay functions on the Onkyo trying to improve the sound but gave up and returned the Pensils. Within 2 minutes, I'd got the set-up properly balanced, job done!

Yup, from what I've learnt so far, the Onkyo prioritises HDMI. So I'll give the Toslink a try and see if that improved the sound as I'm sure your right, the Dac on the Mini isn't cutting edge.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 14th July 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:06 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mark - I just noticed that your TV is 3D - is there yet much worthwhile content available to justify the wearing of the dorky goggles? I recently saw my first 3D movie (Prometheus, and to paraphrase Bill Maher - "that's 11hrs of my life I'll never get back" ) , and frankly there were less than 10 minutes of which I'd say the 3D effect added much for me to the emotional impact of the story - if there's a sequel to this prequel, I doubt I'll be able to get excited about it.
Hi Chris,
The 3D function for us was a secondary feature. The price on this LG was so good and it came with a wall mount that allows the unit to be angled up/down and side the side. We've tried the 3D function. More novelty than anything else. My eyes got tired after only 15 minutes. The jury is still well out re this feature.
Cheers
Mark
Old 14th July 2012, 12:08 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Hi Mark - I have used the Mini-Toslink coming out of the earphone jack on my Toshiba laptop. It is limited by something in the chain to 24 bits @ 96 but seems fine for my needs and no worries about cable interference due to EMI-RFI, impedance mismatching etc. I purchased a Toslink cable that came with the mini adapter at the local hardware store for like $10 bucks US.

I did do an a/b test with the MkI ear and couldn't detect any audible differences - but we are talking about a HT amp here so there are things that can get in the way of things (such as Dolby - or DTS, etc.) YMMV.

Regards, c2c
Hi C2C,
Many thanks for this input. As the Toslink cable is cheap, I'll give it a go and see if it helps.
Cheers
Mark.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:12 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mark,

While others try to help you out with HDMI and Toslink, let me commend you on your new lovely looking setup - great choice of veneer and color! The gold/copper cones go really well with the finish. Smart console - gives a nice integrated look and feel.

Regarding the sound, I spy Mark Audio Alpair drivers all around, so I guess that should be pleasing to the ear/brain also.

- Zia
Hi Zia,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for your support. Partner choose the veneer/colour. We were under orders to make it look professional! DIY was "banned" from the living space

Ah yes.......Glad I used Alp7's and 6M's. Worked out just right for the living room (see my comments in post 13 to Chris)
Cheers
Mark.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
No woofers?
Hi Buzz,
Yep, the Pensils are doing great work, more than enough bass. I added more stuffing to cool off the bass as there was too much to start with. Granted room gain is helping.

I'm in a small apartment building (top flat) so must respect the neighbours below.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:17 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRace View Post
Hi mark,

What HDMI issues are you having?

Some things you can try:

Turn all off.
Plug HDMI from mac into Onkyo

Turn TV on first.
Turn Onkyo on next, switch to Computers input
Turn on computer last.

Do you get anything on screen while the computer boots up?

If not cycle Onkyo on/off, and if still no picture cycle tv on/off.

If still no go then change to optical from the mac to the Onkyo.
Hi JR,
Thanks, I'll give your procedure a go.
Cheers
Mark
Old 14th July 2012, 12:20 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How's Onkyo's customer service on that side of the pond? - a call to their technical service department might help or check for local custom home system installers who may have some tricks up their sleeves of which even a computer / IT genius could be unaware.
Hi Chris,
Onkyo's support...........ummmmmmmph.......sort of OK (ish). We've talked to their local service Dept. My Cantonese isn't up to much so Yue (my IT guy) talked to them, hence some fixes are in the pipeline. Apparently, I'm not the first to complain about the HDMI connectivity problems.

Overall, the Onkoy's, for the price are excellent. Nicely made and sound good. I didn't want to spend much on the A/V receiver as my main listening is done on Tony's 300B + Accuphase DP65. Needless to say, in audiophile terms, the stereo set up is streets ahead. But doesn't detract from what is an excellent effort by Onkyo in the budget end of the A/V market.

Cheers
Mark.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 14th July 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Andy17 is offline Andy17  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
... Alas, given my age a mechanical background, I'm more comfy with a driver frame and a spider in my hands. Still I'm starting to enjoy all this new technology. From my pic, you can see several remotes, driving me nuts working which of several hundred buttons to press. Anyway, I'm gradually learning. The HDMI was the main reason for upgrading all my gear. So Receiver, DVD, Set-top Decoder, TV and a new Mac Mini with its HDMI all can connect using a single cable set. Seems like a good idea but arrrrrrrrgh......the trouble we had getting the Mac's display function to work was terrible. It took my IT guy (who red hot on Mac) nearly 5 hours to make a custom display profile that remained stable. We only achieved stability by connecting the Mini's HDMI direct to the TV, separating the audio side, which defeats the object. Surely, the "seniors" button would be welcome. ...
It seems that a lot of people have trouble with mac mini (or PC) and HDMI through a AV receiver. Unfortunately I can't help here.
Respective the remotes, as all ist connected with HDMI, it should be possible to control (most) things with the Onkyo remote through CEC (RIHD "Onkyo"; SimpLink "LG" ...).
HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to bother your IT guy a bit more
With a Logitech Harmony Remote, after configure, you can control almost everything

Hide this!Advertise here!