StevenZ's Alpair 12P Build - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd July 2012, 06:25 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Yea, I know. I've built a couple of crosscut sleds, but there is always been enough slop that the ends of a 4' board are not square. Close, but not square. I can get a 2'x2' piece square with the miter gauge ( my miter gauge has a 2' fence on it), but not 2'x4' pieces. The only issue then is the top and bottom of the sides, etc. This is where I make the crosscuts with a circular saw and then rip on the table saw.

I guess it's a matter of knowing one's limitations and developing techniques to get around them.

Bob
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:34 PM   #22
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

even a $150K Giben (et al) beam saw in perfect tune will only cut as accurately as the operator loads material (not all are auto-load)
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:57 PM   #23
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
even a $150K Giben (et al) beam saw in perfect tune will only cut as accurately as the operator loads material (not all are auto-load)
No, but it would beat a "beaver by the tail" by a wide margin!!
(sorry, couldn't resist, Canada Day and all that )
don
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:21 PM   #24
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

All crosscuts of the Pencil 12p can and will be done with my 10" Dewalt sliding compound mitre saw. Same applies for all critical crosscuts of the Super version, only two side panels are to long for the sliding compound mitre saw.

My issue is with the rip cuts on my contractor size Hatichi table saw, i don't trust it's 90 trueness. I may oversize them and use the router to true the cuts for butt joints.

Overkill but i'm thinking of using the biscuit joiner too in the assembly process.
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:58 PM   #25
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, let's just say it was short a 1/16" in all the wrong areas. Hahaha! In situations like it, it's best to just step back, use the scraps for another project, and move on. Also, fortunately with having a panel saw I don't need to worry about any cross cuts as it's all automated and just about as accurate as my CNC router. Onto the next one!
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:03 PM   #26
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
That's when you switch from manual to automatic and let it cut to size for you. I never use fully manual on my beam saw for this very reason Trim an edge and let automatic cut it to size for ya.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:21 PM   #27
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
All crosscuts of the Pencil 12p can and will be done with my 10" Dewalt sliding compound mitre saw. Same applies for all critical crosscuts of the Super version, only two side panels are to long for the sliding compound mitre saw.

My issue is with the rip cuts on my contractor size Hatichi table saw, i don't trust it's 90 trueness. I may oversize them and use the router to true the cuts for butt joints.

Overkill but i'm thinking of using the biscuit joiner too in the assembly process.
You can use a tri-square/ framing square, to ensure the saw blade is @ 90 deg. to the table.
don
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:41 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
That's when you switch from manual to automatic and let it cut to size for you. I never use fully manual on my beam saw for this very reason Trim an edge and let automatic cut it to size for ya.
you might think I'm kidding, but if the sheets / cut parts aren't loaded square into the clamps, and the manufacturers' service reps can't get a technician to properly calibrate the side fence/ alignment rams or travel sensors, you're still at the mercy of the machine operator to catch the errors - true to dimension is one thing, but true to square on multiple cross cuts is rather another

yup, sometimes a decent table saw & rip fence are all ya need
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:48 PM   #29
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Powertool dummy question - how is a sabre saw/jig saw for straight cuts of 3/4" and 1/2" material?
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:53 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Powertool dummy question - how is a sabre saw/jig saw for straight cuts of 3/4" and 1/2" material?
There are no dummy questions, but certainly some stupid answers.

With a well clamped straight edge and well locked in sharp blade you should be able to achieve a clean straight cut. I've never needed to, but I bet Bob has done his fair share on a balcony workshop.

Hide this!Advertise here!