Just ordered a set of Alpair 12P (Madisound USA) - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:17 PM   #81
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
^lol, and exactly why i'm afraid to unbox mine...that is until i clear out a room for the sole purpose of breaking them in and police crime scene tape up the doorway!

I'm about ready to start working on the boxes, would like to begin over the weekend. Of course due to my terminally indecisive affliction i'm lurking around here for more info to feel good about a decision re: regular Pencil vs Super Pencil:\

Does the required footprint help with the calculus? - Personally what I enjoy so much about my Pensil7s is the tiny amount of floor space required.

By now I've had occasion to directly compare Pensil and MLTL enclosures to the "Kens" with several Alpair (7.3 & 10.2) and Fostex (FE127E, 167E, FF125WK, FF165WK) - I'd give the Kens higher points in "finesse" - (c)leaner bass response and more "3D" in the depth of soundstage imaging. OTOH the MLTLs deliver more weight & extension - and even with extensive bracing, are still a much easier build
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi

Last edited by chrisb; 22nd June 2012 at 04:26 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 05:19 PM   #82
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
...of course the 10.5"x11.5" footprint of the standard is much easier to deal with then the super's 10.5"x18.5. I'd even venture to guess the standard's smaller cabinet would be less colored?

Ideally, i'd like to get the best overall sound quality out of the drivers from the pick of the two sized pencil boxes.

If the extra extension of the Super Pencil helps balance the upper registers of the drivers then the tradeoff wrt box coloration would be worth working on bracing/damping to abate it.

And yes the MarKens typical (mini)monitor virtues are appealing, i could see building them too when plans are available. They'd probably fit well in the small 9'x13' office room.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 05:24 PM   #83
diyAudio Member
 
OlavHaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Haugesund
Default Will there be more...

Hi Mark.

Will there be enough Alp12P, so we who don`t have the time to build these fine soundpieces in june/july can have a chance. Or will there be a new production when this one is sold out? I have a feeling a couple VERY inspired boys will hunt this first production-run very quickly.

But I still have the a place and amplifier for a pencil or MarKen with that nice blue Alp12P. And august/september will be perfect for a new building!! I can`t buy it now - because there ain`t anybody home to receive the item.

Best

Olav
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 05:38 PM   #84
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
What colouration is being referred to?

As stated before, the stock box has the quasi pro-audio alignment I've given most of the others, i.e. it is tuned higher & provides slightly greater gain over a broader BW helping to compensate for step-loss. The larger cabinet gives greater extension on the bottom end, but does not provide any compensation for step-loss.

Regarding panel rigidity, both will need bracing, particularly the larger box. If they're built well, panel resonance is a non-issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 05:46 PM   #85
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I tried checking out a pair of the Alp12P from Madisound just a while ago, and it said that they don't have enough stock to accommodate that order. So, at least that source has already dried up.

P.S. Just checked creativesound.ca too, no stock left there as well. Looks like we latecomers will have to hope for a new production run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavHaal View Post
Hi Mark.

Will there be enough Alp12P, so we who don`t have the time to build these fine soundpieces in june/july can have a chance. Or will there be a new production when this one is sold out? I have a feeling a couple VERY inspired boys will hunt this first production-run very quickly.

But I still have the a place and amplifier for a pencil or MarKen with that nice blue Alp12P. And august/september will be perfect for a new building!! I can`t buy it now - because there ain`t anybody home to receive the item.

Best

Olav
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 05:52 PM   #86
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
...of course the 10.5"x11.5" footprint of the standard is much easier to deal with then the super's 10.5"x18.5. I'd even venture to guess the standard's smaller cabinet would be less colored?

Ideally, i'd like to get the best overall sound quality out of the drivers from the pick of the two sized pencil boxes.

If the extra extension of the Super Pencil helps balance the upper registers of the drivers then the tradeoff wrt box coloration would be worth working on bracing/damping to abate it.

And yes the MarKens typical (mini)monitor virtues are appealing, i could see building them too when plans are available. They'd probably fit well in the small 9'x13' office room.


MarKen for 12P is not as teeny box as those for say Alpair6 or Fostex FF85WK - i.e. approx 300x300x470 mm. The standard Pensil actually has a smaller footprint, but is of course twice the height before any elevating plinth.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:22 PM   #87
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
What colouration is being referred to?
- stock box - tuned higher & provides slightly greater gain over a broader BW helping to compensate for step-loss. - larger cabinet greater extension on the bottom end, - not - compensation for step-loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
the larger has more extension on the bottom end, but doesn't provide any help through the 80-120Hz region. Above that, they're much of a muchness.
Scott, i wasn't clear about the 80-120Hz reference, thinking you may have been referring to a low level box resonance region, hence coloration.
If i'm understanding this, the standard pencil's SPL efficiency will be closer to the drivers rated SPL due to the slightly greater gain over broader BW?
So due to the step-loss help, the standard Pencil will present a little more refined sound quality over the super, if correct that is what i'd prefer.
The MarKen12P also has my interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
MarKen for 12P is not as teeny box as those for say Alpair6 or Fostex FF85WK - i.e. approx 300x300x470 mm. The standard Pensil actually has a smaller footprint, but is of course twice the height before any elevating plinth.
470mm in height or is that 470mm depth?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:32 PM   #88
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
It depends what you mean by 'refined.'

As stated, the smaller box has less LF extension, but compensates slightly for step-loss, so it will have a slightly flatter power response. The larger box goes lower, but does not provide any compensation for step-loss, so will have a more damped LF in practice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:41 PM   #89
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Which version do you prefer?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:01 PM   #90
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
The MarKen12P also has my interest.
470mm in height or is that 470mm depth?
Height. I also plan some shorter ones -- this one is max volume for the kind of tuning.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone) markaudio Markaudio 247 3rd June 2013 02:51 PM
Alpair 6p vs alpair 6m vs alpair 7 timreeves Markaudio 11 8th January 2013 03:37 PM
Drivers to Madisound USA - Progress markaudio Markaudio 24 25th November 2011 01:34 AM
Behringer DCX2496 and XLR->RCA cable set (CA, USA) CharlieLaub Swap Meet 2 31st August 2011 02:59 AM
Component set found on Madisound ma_tt316 Car Audio 4 22nd March 2011 12:06 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2