Just ordered a set of Alpair 12P (Madisound USA) - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 21st June 2012, 04:46 PM   #51
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeoh View Post
ChrisB. I'm not suggesting that T nuts should be used for holding drivers in place, but I have used them a lot over the years for other jobs and, yes, I found that they would often come out of the wood which was a real pain. However, when I use them now I first drill a small hole in the flange, big enought to take a screw to hold them in place after positioning them. Never have a problem now. To force them into the wood, I position them to sit proud of the timber, then put a bolt through , a nut on the other end and tighten the nut with a spanner. A big washer or a disk of ply under the face surface will stop any marks being left. Hitting them in with a hammer is not good practise. It just makes a mess.

by the time you futz around with all that a threaded insert could take less time - s'all I'm saying - but come on, this is hardy worth the bandwidth

now, Super vs regular Pensil, 10.2 vs 12.2P, triode vs pentode, Coke vs Pepsi , Shaun Majumder vs Russell Peters - those are worth the airtime
Old 21st June 2012, 04:50 PM   #52
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Sum buddy gonna getta hurt.
Old 21st June 2012, 04:54 PM   #53
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Seriously, am I missing something? I don't see 2 versions of the Pensil for the 12P anywhere. I was linked to Mark's thread which had Dave's 12P PDF on it, but other than that I'm lost. Are you guys implying that the original Super 12 Pensil will work with this driver as well?
Old 21st June 2012, 04:56 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
Anybody else have a concern about the new enclosure and it's short height? I'd like to keep the drivers at ear level if at all possible but seems that if I build the new Pensils that I will have to do some serious bases to reach optimal height.

-Steven
Good point - depending on choice of material thickness ( I'm chewing through some 15mm BB "shop" ply for Jeff's pair), the driver will be centered approx 740 -750mm from floor. ( i.e. ~ 30" )

I wonder if raised high enough on outriggers / "stilts", etc if the terminus could be downfiring?

Not to second guess Scott's design, but if building for myself, I'd be inclined to try the shallower version ( ~300mm depth) and tilt back at 5deg - that's worked out very well in at least 3 other designs ( Tysen, FH3, and the EL70 Floorstander)
Old 21st June 2012, 04:57 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

the Pensil 12P and Super Pensil 12P are both on the same PDF.
Old 21st June 2012, 05:03 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Sum buddy gonna getta hurt.

"those are some stoopid racists - they can't even decide what epithet to use"

Shaun - the funniest half brown newfie yer eva gonna meet, an' with a heart as big as all of Burlington Harbour I'll tellya that fur sure, eh
Old 21st June 2012, 05:09 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
Anybody else have a concern about the new enclosure and it's short height? I'd like to keep the drivers at ear level if at all possible but seems that if I build the new Pensils that I will have to do some serious bases to reach optimal height.

-Steven
The 12P models nicely in a 40"x10"x7" MLTL tuned to 40Hz. If I pursue this driver, that's where I will start.

Bob
Old 21st June 2012, 05:10 PM   #58
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Dymacel View Post
the Pensil 12P and Super Pensil 12P are both on the same PDF.
Ohhh, okay. So correct me if I'm wrong, the Super pensil is the design that is 16-7/8" deep internally, and the "standard" pensil is the one that is only 10" internally?

I wasn't too sure why both measurements were there. If my above statement is correct it will clear up my confusion a bit.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 21st June 2012, 05:16 PM   #59
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

that's correct, and yes at first glance it does look like the 10" depth is indicating a brace location.
Old 21st June 2012, 05:24 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Good point - depending on choice of material thickness ( I'm chewing through some 15mm BB "shop" ply for Jeff's pair), the driver will be centered approx 740 -750mm from floor. ( i.e. ~ 30" )
Not bad for me when I'm slouching in my listening chair, bit I'll probably raise them up a couple inches on something. Outriggers that allow for height adjustment at the front might be an option, the whole box would be tilted backwards a few degrees.

jeff

Hide this!Advertise here!