Just ordered a set of Alpair 12P (Madisound USA) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 21st June 2012, 03:11 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Oh God, NO! If you mean these things, PE part # 081-1082, they are much worse than T-nuts. They will strip out by just looking at them. If everything isn't dead straight or the thread don't engage correctly, they will spin even before you get the bolt tightened down. Ask me how I know!

Bob
I've used THESE ONES from Fastenal in a couple builds (specifically my SuperPensil12's) along with a tiny bit of super glue to make sure they were secure to the cabinet and THESE socket cap screws and they were excellent and well priced. I have a wholesale account with Fastenal which helps but I've been very happy with these. They look extremely nice when installed and you never have to worry about stripping out the wood.

Installed in the backs of my cabinets:
Click the image to open in full size.

Scott
Old 21st June 2012, 03:36 AM   #42
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm waiting till i pick up a router attachment for cutting circles. Then i'll do a 3'x4' open baffle of 1/2" chip board i'm not doing anything else with to be used for the break in process. My old craftsman one doesn't fit the new Porter Cable router that replaced the dead Craftsman router. I went to Lowes today and the one they carry starts at a minimum of 10" diameter holes. I'll try Sears and Home Depot tomorrow before ordering online. Till then they're staying in the shipping box and out of harms way.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:13 AM   #43
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

ChrisB. I'm not suggesting that T nuts should be used for holding drivers in place, but I have used them a lot over the years for other jobs and, yes, I found that they would often come out of the wood which was a real pain. However, when I use them now I first drill a small hole in the flange, big enought to take a screw to hold them in place after positioning them. Never have a problem now. To force them into the wood, I position them to sit proud of the timber, then put a bolt through , a nut on the other end and tighten the nut with a spanner. A big washer or a disk of ply under the face surface will stop any marks being left. Hitting them in with a hammer is not good practise. It just makes a mess.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:58 PM   #44
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

I know Ejfud has already posted pictures in another forum. Perhaps he'll do the same here. Mine haven't arrived yet due to some complications but if the package status is correct they'll be on my doorstep when I arrive home. Very much looking forward to it.

You guys are referencing a large and small pensil enclosure. I wasn't aware that there was more than one designed for the 12P. To be honest I'm a bit concerned about the height of the new enclosures as they're only slightly taller than 36". I like to keep the drivers at ear level if possible but this will be quite the task with the new enclosures.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:19 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to what peeps say about these drivers, wish I had the funds but hey looks like they have sold out maybe the 2nd or 3rd runs.

Regards
Bruce
Old 21st June 2012, 01:25 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
I'm waiting till i pick up a router attachment for cutting circles. Then i'll do a 3'x4' open baffle of 1/2" chip board i'm not doing anything else with to be used for the break in process. My old craftsman one doesn't fit the new Porter Cable router that replaced the dead Craftsman router. I went to Lowes today and the one they carry starts at a minimum of 10" diameter holes. I'll try Sears and Home Depot tomorrow before ordering online. Till then they're staying in the shipping box and out of harms way.
I use a Jasper Jig available at Madisound. It can be a bit brittle if not handled properly but has been a great circle guide for me.
Old 21st June 2012, 01:28 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assesears View Post
Looking forward to what peeps say about these drivers, wish I had the funds but hey looks like they have sold out maybe the 2nd or 3rd runs.

Regards
Bruce
I'm interested in a comparison between the 12P and the Alpair 10.2. I would be using a subwoofer / woofer to handle the deeper bass depending on the driver.
Old 21st June 2012, 02:29 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
I'm with Chris, a bunch of people should have them by now but not even so much as a snap of one in the wild yet. Anyone car to share what they've got so far or at the very least some pictures??

Scott
I got mine on Wednesday, but they are just resting in their shipping boxes while I break them in. I can get some pics posted on here of them when I get off work today, but again, they're just in cardboard boxes.
Old 21st June 2012, 03:13 PM   #49
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Anybody else have a concern about the new enclosure and it's short height? I'd like to keep the drivers at ear level if at all possible but seems that if I build the new Pensils that I will have to do some serious bases to reach optimal height.

-Steven
Old 21st June 2012, 05:46 PM   #50
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

...sitting on a sofa, no, in a chair maybe probably not. I'd caution you that raising the bottom vented cabinets off the floor may cause problems with the bass response as the design likely factors in floor reflections/augmentation/lower registers SPL boost.
(btw, if you're around Philly you're welcome to check out mine when they're up and running).

At this point my biggest concern is about the positive and negative differences between the smaller standard Pencil and Super Pencil build.

Hide this!Advertise here!