Just ordered a set of Alpair 12P (Madisound USA) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 20th June 2012, 04:54 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

G'Day

I think it's best just to use the screws Mark supplies with his drivers. One of my Chr-70 is very sensitive when torquing up. Easy to screw up the alignment

Regards
Bruce
Old 20th June 2012, 05:20 PM   #32
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
Are you saying to use the acoustic-stuf or wool stuffing for fill and line 75% of three of the walls with Owens Corning tiles, or one of the other two products?

This the Owens Corning product you're referring to? - Owens Corning 703 1 inch panels at best prices - TM Soundproofing Inc

How about Delflex panels lining ~1/2 to 3/4's of the rear wall behind the driver and Home Depot denim insulation option at $6 16"x48" roll lining the top side and possibly inside baffle walls?

Sorry to ask again, but which enclosure are we talking about? That will often affect my choices of material & construction to allow for access etc.

Personally, I line all internal panel surfaces with the 1/2" fabric backed Ultra-touch denim insulation (keeping the internal port openings clear) - and fill per levels calculated by designer with acousti-stuff or the cheaper fabric store dacron pillow fill. The thicker denim insulation batting works very well also, but is a bitch to cut - a good pair of Fiskars or Henckel sewing shears come in very handy here.

I try to avoid working with fiberglass in speaker enclosures due to the irritation, but it certainly works fine enough - I was thinking of material with lower compression than the OC703 - such as Armstrong or similar 5/8" FG 24x48 drop in ceiling panels - which are generally faced with a bonded textured vinyl - easy to glue with white PVA.

My only experience with Deflex pads was to try to tame serious issues with a pair of Hammer Dynamics Super12 enclosures I built for a buddy a while back - a project that seemed to be condemned to failure - after many hundreds of dollars tweaking the cabinets and XOs, he "recycled" the components and enclosures and moved on to a series of FR systems - some with larger BLH enclosures. Other folks may have had excellent results with the Deflex products.

and to echo Bruce's comment - I don't think there's much wrong with the screws that Mark supplies - just don't slip with the hex wrench ( I cover the cones with a piece of cardboard when installing metal drivers)

Last edited by chrisb; 20th June 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 20th June 2012, 06:24 PM   #33
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

I plan to start with a Super Pencil build.

Was considering the regular Pencil for it's smaller size. So i have to question if there are any gains in terms of linearity and smoother upper mids in cutting the extension with the standard Pencil vs. the Super?
I'd guess the standard Pencil's smaller box will present less coloration challenges?

Afterwards, and if i decide i like my Victor 166es-r better in it's requisite larger room, i could always build the Mar-Ken when it's plans are ready, for use in smaller rooms.

Toppsy on A-T dot com posted that Scott has a new radical design in the works for him.
Exciting news, however if it's another large room minimum 10 feet listening distance cabinet i'll likely pass...well again that'll be influenced by the V166's.
audio-talk :: View topic - NEW MarkAudio Alpair 12P Gen2 paper coned drivers.
Old 20th June 2012, 07:13 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
I plan to start with a Super Pencil build.

Was considering the regular Pencil for it's smaller size. So i have to question if there are any gains in terms of linearity and smoother upper mids in cutting the extension with the standard Pencil vs. the Super?
I'd guess the standard Pencil's smaller box will present less coloration challenges?

Afterwards, and if i decide i like my Victor 166es-r better in it's requisite larger room, i could always build the Mar-Ken when it's plans are ready, for use in smaller rooms.

Toppsy on A-T dot com posted that Scott has a new radical design in the works for him.
Exciting news, however if it's another large room minimum 10 feet listening distance cabinet i'll likely pass...well again that'll be influenced by the V166's.
audio-talk :: View topic - NEW MarkAudio Alpair 12P Gen2 paper coned drivers.

I just buttoned up our first pair (MarKens) for these this morning, and started hacking out parts for Super Pensils for Jeff. I'll let Dave address the question re Pensil/vs Super - I can't honestly recall seeing any specific modeling, etc.

And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if a "radical new" design by Scott wasn't somewhat larger than the Pensils, and certainly the MarKen - although of course by the time to put the latter on appropriate stands, the floor space consumed is close to the same as the former.
Old 20th June 2012, 08:24 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

open letter to the group - has anyone who's received their 12P got them running yet?

depending on when Dave decides to populate our MarKens, they could be playing as soon as tomorrow, but that would be fresh out of the box, and with no furniture grade finish on the boxes - after all the an-tic-i-pa-tion I wouldn't want to be underwhelmed

us married guys are used to (hearing) that
Old 20th June 2012, 08:57 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Yes, but only in test boxes, not a finished enclosure. Unfortunately, I don't really have the space available to do more than wheel them out sporadically, when I have time to shift things around. They'll need a few more hundred hours to get the spider etc. into the intended operating range. Reminds me, I'll have to start feeding them some slightly more demanding material from tomorrow. Haven't really listened to them yet, and since I'm loath to fall into subjective-speak, I'm probably not the best person to ask. FWIW though, on current evidence, I don't think there's any likelihood of you being disappointed.
Old 20th June 2012, 09:07 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
after all the an-tic-i-pa-tion I wouldn't want to be underwhelmed
I don't have much excitement in my life, so this is huge for me.

jeff
Old 20th June 2012, 09:45 PM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
depending on when Dave decides to populate our MarKens
They will get a min 200 Hrs on the break-in bench before i measure to sort our 4 units into 2 pr.

dave
Old 20th June 2012, 11:11 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Re the pensils, not much in it really. The smaller box has the standard style of quasi pro-audio alignment I used for most of the other cabinets; the larger has more extension on the bottom end, but doesn't provide any help through the 80-120Hz region. Above that, they're much of a muchness.
Old 21st June 2012, 02:03 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
open letter to the group - has anyone who's received their 12P got them running yet?

depending on when Dave decides to populate our MarKens, they could be playing as soon as tomorrow, but that would be fresh out of the box, and with no furniture grade finish on the boxes - after all the an-tic-i-pa-tion I wouldn't want to be underwhelmed

us married guys are used to (hearing) that
I'm with Chris, a bunch of people should have them by now but not even so much as a snap of one in the wild yet. Anyone car to share what they've got so far or at the very least some pictures??

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!