jeff

that explains your short sentences, even in real life
Old 29th June 2012, 10:29 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
that explains your short sentences, even in real life
Yup.

Last edited by vinylkid58; 29th June 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 3rd July 2012, 04:01 PM   #124
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jeff - this is as good a time/place as any to post your initial impressions of yesterday's session with both the MarKens and SuperPensils

don't hold back - and even more than 140 characters would be acceptable - this once
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:57 PM   #125
AlanL is offline AlanL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Jeff - this is as good a time/place as any to post your initial impressions of yesterday's session with both the MarKens and SuperPensils

don't hold back - and even more than 140 characters would be acceptable - this once
Hey... youse guys had both boxes going with at least somewhat broken in drivers? C'mon, spill the beans. We can't expect you two to wax rhapsodic about the details, but at least a few impressions from each of you would be really appreciated.

I just got mine up on some open baffles, but will be looking to build one or the other as soon as thing settle down a bit (I've moved since I got the drivers). Sure I'm not the only one on the fence about which box to build.

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:44 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've been distracted by the Tour coverage on tv.

Given all the work that you put into these boxes Chris, you're more than entitled (and encouraged) to post listening impressions as well.

Super Pencils: These boxes have pretty good bass extension, but still sound quite balanced. I was a bit worried they were going to be boomy thru the mid bass, but they're not at all. This is encouraging, as I just guessed at the amount of polyfil to start with, so this gives a good base-line for future experimentation. Even at relatively low volume levels, music has "weight" to it, if the bass is present in the recording.

MarKenTs: These boxes give up low bass extension for a more "vivid" mid bass/lower mid-range presentation. They appear to be more articulate thru this frequency range as well, which is no surprise given the box design. They may also image a bit better, Chris got the "sweet spot" listening position for the comparison.

The drivers themselves are very nice. They definitely have the MA "house sound", if there is such a thing. Some may want a little more treble extension, but I don't think that's going to be a huge issue for most. I certainly don't feel like there was anything missing from the music we were playing. If anything, I think there is more to be extracted from these drivers, but that's related to my amplification issues.

I'm already looking forward to "round two", possibly with some single ended amps. I was also thinking of staring a Super Pencil thread, as I have a couple of pics if anyone is interested.

BTW, my wife is already complaining about the size of these boxes, so the MarKens would easily win the WAF contest.

jeff
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:49 PM   #127
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Jeff,

Thank you for sharing your initial listening impressions, and good to know that you like what you are hearing.

What amplification are you using now?

- Zia
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:55 PM   #128
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm sworn to secrecy

Nah - simply put, it should be no surprise that the MarKen is as characteristically thin on ultimate "slam" / impact / bass extension with the 12P as with the other drivers I've heard them in, compared Pensils or the like ( ie. MLTL / variants)

In other words, unless you're already in possession of, or planning on supporting woofers for the MarKens, the SuperPensil would IMO be a much better bet. Played convincingly through the last dying lead out tracks on ELP "Lucky Man" (you know, the tone arm tracking test), and captured the in your lap dynamics of Muddy's vocals, full body of Willie Dixon's stand up bass, intricate noodling of Buddy's fretwork and room acoustics on "Folk Singer"

In either enclosure, the 12P is not very forgiving of mediocre engineering or low quality vinyl (which constituted much of our listening), 10CC "Jamaican Holiday" was almost unintelligible, but still as much fun as always (stupid bloody tourists )

not a small box - but then by the time you calculate the requirements for supporting woofers for the MarKens ....
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:02 PM   #129
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

ChrisB,

Thanks for adding to Jeff's impressions, and I was just about to ask about the music - see that you've covered some of it.

When are you going to try the Cosmic Hippo?

- Zia
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:20 PM   #130
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
not a small box - but then by the time you calculate the requirements for supporting woofers for the MarKens ....
Chris finished the MK12,2pT to match these woofTs, the 12.2 boxes are the same cross-section as the Mar-Kel but some 130% the height

Click the image to open in full size.

No stealth here. Starting to approach the physical prescence of some of the Woden boxes.

The 12.2p arrive here this afternoon.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!