Running an A7.3 at full power - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 15th June 2012, 08:09 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

105dB is possible, maybe even from those drivers.

Click the image to open in full size.

Shows that, at 350Hz, the power is split 50-50 between low pass and high pass, and at 5.6kHz, 90% of the power goes to the low pass.

If you high pass a 30w driver at 350Hz, and add a woofer, the power handling limit imposed by the 30w driver would then be 60w, as the 30w driver sees only half the power.

Perhaps instead (going for an active crossover now), you use an amplifier rated to the full-band power handling of the driver, but the system will go louder before clipping because the whole thing has effectively twice the power available.

For maximum power handling while keeping the crossover below the critical midrange, 500-700Hz looks suitable.

I think perhaps the drivers would survive, but cone break-up may become an issue - this seems to be more of a problem with paper cones, so perhaps you'll be okay.

Chris
Old 15th June 2012, 04:28 PM   #82
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
That's really the best way to determine what you really want. Even then, the level may end up being different than what you use during normal listening in your room.

I find my personal listening level is much lower that some of my friends' preferred levels. I think also the quality of the system has an impact of the listening level. Again, I find that the better systems can provide a wonderful experience at lower levels than lesser systems. But these are just my opinions and preferences for the music I enjoy. Your preferences and music may be different.

me 3
Old 17th June 2012, 06:25 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

Ordered Alpair 12P too get closer too my mark of the occasional 85-90 db swing
10ft out in OB. I will post photos soon and let everyone know how I fair.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:40 PM   #84
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

It will be interesting Monte Verdi to know what your comparison ends of being between the 12P and 7.3. More Sd to be sure and the higher Spl I expect will translate to easier dynamic swings. I'm sure you have alot of us here curious how your results turn out.
Old 17th June 2012, 11:43 PM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Verdi View Post
Ordered Alpair 12P too get closer too my mark of the occasional 85-90 db swing
10ft out in OB. I will post photos soon and let everyone know how I fair.
Wouldn't you want to get some loading on that cone if you're going to play it that loud?
Old 18th June 2012, 02:22 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Wouldn't you want to get some loading on that cone if you're going to play it that loud?
Funny you should ask, two other Diy friends near by are getting 12P drivers, Phil and Tony. Phil likes boxes and OB's Tony and I pretty much prefer OB's, so I will hear a box. I don't need a box for bass since I use subs, I do need to increase baffle width though, these in ( post# 43) photo are too narrow for and have a bit of mid suck out, adding wings momentarily!

Last edited by Monte Verdi; 18th June 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 24th June 2012, 02:40 PM   #87
Swifty is offline Swifty  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Got my SPL meter in last week, and at 1 meter I get 101db spl peaks without the music sounding anything but great, running the AS 2.100's full power. This is when crossing over LR8 @300hz however, the cone is hardly moving even at these ridiculous levels. The test album was Yello's "The Eye", so the average spl level was pretty high. I'm very impressed with the composure of the Alpair 7.3
Old 24th June 2012, 07:20 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Not bad! I visited a hi-fi store last wednesday and I had brought my SPL-meter with me. The room was quite small and the speakers were System Audio Mantra 60 and I was playing really loud and hit about 106-107dB peak level and that was, in my opinion, VERY loud.
Old 17th July 2012, 02:29 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Late flash:

I had the opportunity to run my A7.3/Goldwood GW-1858 rig in a large venue. It was an old chapel something like 50'x100' with a high vaulted ceiling. I got 80dB at ~25' back from the speakers. I have no real idea how much power I was running -- the amp is probably good to 30w into 8 ohm. Except for that fact that the echoes and reverbs were unreal, the A7's sounded just fine.

Bob
Old 17th July 2012, 06:19 AM   #90
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Was that with your A7's open baffle or the transmission lines?

Hide this!Advertise here!