Running an A7.3 at full power - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th June 2012, 05:20 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
105db will not be possible without melting it I'm afraid. I'd say 95/96db would be about the limit at those distances, crossed over at 300hz or so.
I know the EL70 that I have wont do any 105dB. But I'm planning a new project Right now my Mar-Kel70eN are crossed over at about 90Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Verdi View Post
Very cool, not sure how accurate Radio Shack meter is, likely in ballpark. If you should have a smart phone of sorts I highly recommend down loading Smart Tools app. My phone has a 1.2 GHZ dual core processor and I believe margin for error is pretty good in spite of it's mediocre Mic. Unfortunately I have searched a great deal and have not been able too find Mic specs. Regardless, it's exciting too get A picture of what's happening!

My tests have shown speaker break up @ 82-83 db at 7-10ft away in equilateral triangle, crossingover @ 100hz with 12 db slope.

I found a compensation table here -> How accurate is the Radio Shack SPL meter - Agoraquest - Sony Forum, News, Reviews
I do have a HTC Desire, but I don't trust its mic. But maybe I shall try and compare it to the compensated values of the digital radioshack meter.
Old 14th June 2012, 05:29 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs;3059496....I found a compensation table here -> [url=http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34342&forum=65
How accurate is the Radio Shack SPL meter - Agoraquest - Sony Forum, News, Reviews[/url]....
Which indicates that a C-weighting, the RS meter is probably pretty good. FYI, my iPhone reads ~2dB less than the RS.

Bob
Old 14th June 2012, 06:40 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Default 105dB? For home listening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
Got my digital Radioshack SPL-meter today. Set it to C-weighting and played some music "really loud", louder than I usually play. I hit 93dB maximum at listening position (about 2.5m away I think). Normal listening levels are 70-80dB apparently. Am I pushing them too far or can I push them further? I feel that I'd like a little more dynamic capacity, maybe handle peaks up to 105dB or something.
(/TFPIC mode on)

If you're looking for 105dB, my suggestion is to contact Bob Heil to get his suggestions on the right kind of sound reinforcement components you will need. He specializes in large sound systems for rock bands and medium to large stadiums. He might know a few tricks to help you get above 100dB.

It is possible to get that level with a pair of Alpair 7s mounted in some headphones. Make sure you have an adequate supply of blood to replace what you'll likely lose from your ears.

(In that old Memorex commercial, wasn't that crystal wine glass shattered at something like 90dB?)

(/TFPIC mode off)
Old 14th June 2012, 07:00 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Will it really take THAT big speakers to reach 105dB peak level? Honestly?
Old 14th June 2012, 07:12 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Every 3dB increase in SPL requires a doubling of the power input. Lets suppose that an A7 can sustain 95dB. Let's also suppose that the A7 is taking 10w to get there. To get 105dB will require TEN TIMESas much power. Imagine what will happen to that poor little driver trying to absorb 100w.

Bob
Old 14th June 2012, 07:13 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Every 3dB increase in SPL requires a doubling of the power input. Lets suppose that an A7 can sustain 95dB. Let's also suppose that the A7 is taking 10w to get there. To get 105dB will require TEN TIMESas much power. Imagine what will happen to that poor little driver trying to absorb 100w.

Bob
I wasn't saying I would use the A7.3. I'm thinking of something a little bigger maybe and something not full-range. But I'll take that discussion in my thread over here here to not go too off-topic in this thread.
Old 14th June 2012, 07:30 PM   #77
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Got my digital Radioshack SPL-meter today. Set it to C-weighting and played some music "really loud", louder than I usually play. I hit 93dB maximum at listening position (about 2.5m away I think). Normal listening levels are 70-80dB apparently. Am I pushing them too far or can I push them further? I feel that I'd like a little more dynamic capacity, maybe handle peaks up to 105dB or something.
When Bernie & i were excercising the limits of the EL70/WoofT (XO 2nd order at 100 Hz), the iPhone/AudioTools meter was giving 90 dB (LOUD) no problem, another 6 dB and the drivers were moving a lot. Normal levels were 70-80 @ ~4m, my room is large.

dave
Old 14th June 2012, 07:35 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, depending upon your room size. After a point, there will be some "cabin gain" for low frequencies even in larger rooms that might help. Not that humans can even tolerate that level for long without permanent damage to their hearing.

Old 14th June 2012, 07:46 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Normal levels were 70-80 @ ~4m, my room is large.

dave
Right now I'm listening to some Amy MacDonald at normal levels and my SPL-meter says 70-75 at 2.5-3m. I guess that's a pretty common average level?

The next time I go to Sundsvall (nearest big city) I'll bring my SPL meter with me and go to a hi-fi store and see how loud I want to play.
Old 14th June 2012, 08:04 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

That's really the best way to determine what you really want. Even then, the level may end up being different than what you use during normal listening in your room.

I find my personal listening level is much lower that some of my friends' preferred levels. I think also the quality of the system has an impact of the listening level. Again, I find that the better systems can provide a wonderful experience at lower levels than lesser systems. But these are just my opinions and preferences for the music I enjoy. Your preferences and music may be different.

Hide this!Advertise here!