Running an A7.3 at full power - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 1st June 2012, 01:48 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Fortunately (unfortunately -- your option), few recordings have anywhere near live concert dynamics. 30dB's is usually enough. I got a copy of the new Telarc 1812. A little disappointed. My A 7.2's/Goldwood 18's are up to the task with the quiet sections played at 60dB's.

Bob
If it is the same as the earlier release, it is severely clipped.
Old 1st June 2012, 02:12 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Haven't looked at it for clipping. Other than the cannon shots, the dynamics are nothing special. The addition of the choral parts does make for an interesting performance.

Bob
Old 8th June 2012, 10:20 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I have really enjoyed this thread and have a similar situation trying too get a 85-90 dynamic swing about 7ft away without break up. Measuring with a sound tools DB meter on an HTC Sensation Android I get driver distortion @ 82-83 DB's 7ft away on Alpair 7's in OB.

So today I ordered the last gold pair Madisound had in stock. I mostly listen to medieval,chamber, symphonic and jazz. I plan on adding one more driver too OB shown in photo too hopefully get those wide vocal swings with early music and Bruckner quadruple fortissimos with little effort. Subs are currently x over at 130Hz.

Have had a hard time over many years hearing a driver that I prefer over the Alpair 7, that includes my Altec A7's which currently sit in garage!

Ramon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0059.jpg (333.8 KB, 268 views)
Old 9th June 2012, 05:09 PM   #44
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

If I understand correctly your A7 on OB is hi-passed at 130 Hz? That seems quite low if you are going to play it loud....
Old 9th June 2012, 08:31 PM   #45
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 to Monte Verdi. I'm also excited at Bob Brines working to make a successful FAST system with the Alpair 7.3. Bob if you think these will be suitable for a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater set up, maybe some considerations or recommendations for acceptable distance to the rear wall. Forgive me if that is rushing the process when you haven't even proposed your design yet but it seems to me to be a continuing issue at least in my humble home where space just doesn't allow the speakers to come out too far into the room. In any event I'm following your progress with anticipation!
Old 9th June 2012, 11:21 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Maybe this is opening an unwanted can of worms but it might be worth considering not only the two 8 inch drivers but also a second 7.3 driver. Wouldn't that help with dynamics? Wouldn't an up firing 7.3 could support ambiance and dynamics? Benefits of the ceiling boundary effect with a front firing driver to keep image and focus intact. I don't know enough to say if it would muck up phase or how any drawbacks would be handled but it would give more Sd and move more air.
Old 10th June 2012, 12:03 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Using two drivers in the same frequency band is fraught with difficulties. The comb filtering will destroy the top end. I have not and will not consider doubling the A7's. This does not apply to the bass drivers because the wave lengths are substantially larger than the driver CTC dimension.

Also note that I am not trying to build a death metal speaker. Regardless of whether the A7's can do a continuous 95dB, and that combined with the output of the bass drivers should give at least 85dB 2m out. That's ear damage territory. If the A7's can actually produce 90dB 2m out, then there should be ~40dB dynamic range with an average home's noise floor.

The fact that the twin 8's ar more efficient than a single A7 is irrelevant as I consider bi-amping mandatory. The use of two 8's is produce a large surface area and therefore a sharper wave front on bass transients.

Bob
Old 10th June 2012, 12:11 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Okay I knew I was opening a can of worms I shouldn't have.
Old 10th June 2012, 01:02 PM   #49
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Where would we be without worms? There are some who are quite happy with their dual driver full rangers. I think it's worth a try. You could build 4 dMar-Ken7.3s for example and try different configurations like top and side firing or both front facing. You could switch the second driver in and out for testing. Might try adding a 1.5uf or so cap to the top driver. At worst you'd have a second set of speakers for another purpose.
Old 10th June 2012, 03:56 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Using two drivers in the same frequency band is fraught with difficulties. The comb filtering will destroy the top end. I have not and will not consider doubling the A7's. This does not apply to the bass drivers because the wave lengths are substantially larger than the driver CTC dimension.

I fought a D'Appolito system for years and never got it right. Measured OK, but never quite sounded right, never imaged up to my standards. Single drivers (within a frequency range) work much better. I have not heard a better imaging system than a single full-range driver (in stereo pair).

Hide this!Advertise here!