Alpair 6-p update. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 23rd May 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 6-p update.

Hello all I just got my Alpair 6-p's today and I unpacked them and now they are breaking in with very low volume. They do sound very natural and very detailed so far. I have also noticed they don't have any brightness that the fostex drivers have but, again I will have to wait to see after 100 or more of breakin time so I can see what they can really do? They are very nice looking and they seem to have a solid feeling. They are really nice. Thanks mark I really am enjoying them at very low volume levels.. I can't wait to try other mark audio drivers. jm
Old 24th May 2012, 06:08 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello all I just got my Alpair 6-p's today and I unpacked them and now they are breaking in with very low volume. They do sound very natural and very detailed so far. I have also noticed they don't have any brightness that the fostex drivers have but, again I will have to wait to see after 100 or more of breakin time so I can see what they can really do? They are very nice looking and they seem to have a solid feeling. They are really nice. Thanks mark I really am enjoying them at very low volume levels.. I can't wait to try other mark audio drivers. jm

welcome to the club -

I'll say it again, as much as Mark has accomplished with his metal cone drivers, it'd be a big mistake to overlook his papers - which I trust will continue to be refined/advanced - he being a tweaky engineer and all - that's a compliment by the way
Old 26th May 2012, 01:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

yes I agree. I feel that this little gem is a step above any fostex drivers I have had big and small. They are very micro detailed at such low volumes. I can't wait intill they are fully broke in. I have almost 50 hours on them a very low listening levels. I can't wait for the bigger paper drivers. The Alpair 12-p's. I hope that one day mark will make a paper driver that is a true 5 or 5 1/2 inch fullrange drivers. I hear that the Alpair drivers are a step above the Chp-70-p's. Jm
Old 26th May 2012, 01:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
welcome to the club -

I'll say it again, as much as Mark has accomplished with his metal cone drivers, it'd be a big mistake to overlook his papers - which I trust will continue to be refined/advanced - he being a tweaky engineer and all - that's a compliment by the way
Do you know how the his metal cone drivers hold up? I have had alot of metal cones from other comapnys not mark audios and they all seem very bright and tizzy and not natural , But his paper drivers the Alpair 6-p's I will buy again for another project. I am really enjoying them at very low volumes. I wonder how the Alpair 10's sound like? I have my eye on these drivers but, will have to wait and save up to get a pair. Thanks again jm
Old 26th May 2012, 02:04 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Do you know how the his metal cone drivers hold up? I have had alot of metal cones from other comapnys not mark audios and they all seem very bright and tizzy and not natural
That was my generalized opinion of metal cones until i heard the multiform Alpair 7. Mark's multiform metal cones are a big step for metal.

3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

dave

Last edited by markaudio; 26th May 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 26th May 2012, 05:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link. Some good reads. As I know your not really a Tang band fan. I am not either but, I got to hear the suger cane 4 inch fullrange driver in the kit they sell. I would say that is a very natural sounding driver for what I heard at a hi-fi show. The dayton metal cones are one of the worst I have heard. I will have to put marks metal cones on my short list for later this year. I have acouple of projects I am working on. Any thoughts on the Css El 70 fullrange drivers? I have not heard much about them? Looking to do a little box with these for my daughter as a birthday gift. Are they worth the money or should I just get another pair of Alpair 6-p's? Or the Alpair 6m? jm
Old 26th May 2012, 06:31 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Css El 70 fullrange drivers? I have not heard much about them? Looking to do a little box with these for my daughter as a birthday gift. Are they worth the money or should I just get another pair of Alpair 6-p's? Or the Alpair 6m? jm
EL70 is very good. Better top than the A6p. I know nothing in its size that dies bass as well. In a small box (for the EL70 ~5 litre) the A6 is more relaxed, the EL70 is good but you get the felling it is being held back (which it is, preferring a larger box), The A6p will thou, go into a much smaller box (2.5 litre).

Overall the EL70 gets better marks in our books than A6p (mind you both treated) -- EL70eN ranks in my current favorite top 3 FR drivers (FF85wk and A7.3 the other 2) .

We keep trying the Tangbands -- i have at least a dozen downstairs -- some are just fine (but pricey for what you get), and i have a set of 3" that are amoungst the best of this size (unfortunately AFAIK only 2 were ever made)

dave
Old 26th May 2012, 06:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well dave thanks for the input. I just wanted to say something about the tang bands not to rip on them or put them down because everyone has their own way of making fullrange drivers. I have looked and seen the new drivers and they are not using the neo magnets anymore and most of the new ones don't have a cast frame anymore? I feel I am not getting my moneys worth with alot of fullrange drivers now. Fostex is still a good value on some models not all. I know tang band and mark audio e-mails you back but, fostex has really gone down hill on getting back with you about questions like they use to years ago. This is one area that really rubs me the wrong way. I will give tang band another try but, I will be very careful which one I will buy. Dave do you have any one driver that stick out of your mind? Thanks jm

Last edited by cross reference; 26th May 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:28 PM   #9
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm curious guys what you think of using this driver for a Don Keele CBT array?

The price is right for array use and it would be doable without an active xover like the PE kit.

What do you guys think?

I guess the difficulty with DIY CBT is the curved baffle and cab construction/manufacture...

I'm curious what chrisb thinks about this as he's used these drivers in arrays I believe...

Correction ML-TLs and TLs...

Has anyone used this in line arrays around here?

Last edited by HiroPro; 2nd June 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:05 AM   #10
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Regarding sound 'flavour' of metal cone of the A-10. Against a quality silk dome (with SOIMP caps) they have slightly metallic flavour. But it isn't a deal breaker at all. I kind of noticed it most at first on acoustic steel string guitars where you get this kind of 'synergy'. In balance, paper cones sound a bit 'papery'. IMHO. So far the most benign material I've heard for a dynamic cone is carbon or kevlar type cone. But the resolution etc. of these wasn't superior - just the flavour of cone harder to hear, more benign. They probably weigh more.

Hide this!Advertise here!