Alpair 7.3 Bookshelf Bass Reflex? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd May 2012, 03:00 AM   #31
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dave is the guru on this, but I'll take my shot at what he's saying.

The first derivative is a measure of the slope of the curve, of the FR curve. If the slope is up then the first derivative is larger than zero, if the slope is down the first derivative is negative, if there is no slope and its dead flat then the first derivative is zero.

You also get a flat spot on the FR curve at the top of a bump or at the bottom of a hollow. And either side of the top of a bump or bottom of a hollow, the slope of the FR curve changes from going up (or down) to going down (or up). So over the course of a bump or hollow in the curve the first derivative will change sign (from + to -, or from - to +) and in doing so it 'crosses zero'.

So no first derivative rule means no bumps or hollows in the FR plot. The 'wrong' choice of box size and/or port dimensions will product bumps/hollws in the FR plot.

To play with this I use this excellent BR calculator which shows the FR plot: Loudspeaker enclosure calculating with Thiele Small parameter

I used Dave's approach to tuning up my Martello enclosure and to my ears it sounds good.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 3rd May 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:10 AM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
The chart was done on the work computer. I'll see if I can blow it up tomorrow and change the color to something easier to identify.
I replicated it in my modeler. The read arrows point to where the 1st derivative crosses zero (it also does up above 200 Hz, but that one doesn't really concern us). You will also see how the blue line (group delay) zooms off the top of the chart. In the 2nd chart is the 14/50 again, Jeff's 7L/55Hz, and what i'd do 9L/60 Hz) as well as 7 & 14 L sealed.

When looking at bass extention pay attention to F10, Toole determined that F3 doesn't tell you much (which was pretty much understood already).

You can't tune the 7L much higher with a round vent as it will become underdamped. My tuning assumes a high-R vent which knocks the bump down (increased damping -- the highR vent also makes for higher tolerance to dynamic T/S changes as they move along their curves).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif steve-tuning.gif (20.1 KB, 304 views)
File Type: gif 5-a730curves.gif (32.1 KB, 304 views)
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:10 AM   #33
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Okay. I think I'm following you Bigun. Where I was getting lost is that at no point after 100hz does the FR go above 0+. Though you see two bumps they're below zero as stated in a previous post. I'll see if I can smooth out the response to have zero bumps and a gradual roll off. So what is the general consensus here? Are we aiming for something about 8liter tuned to 55hz? Someone shoot me a target enclosure size and tuning and I can play around from there. I'd like to start slingin' some saw dust by Friday.

Thanks,
Steven

Edit: Posted at the same time as Dave's post which answers the questions I asked in this post.

Last edited by StevenZ; 3rd May 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:14 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Awesome, thanks Dave! So by high-R vent, you mean using a high resistive vent, something like the 1" you advised of in a previous post, correct? Looks like I'll be knocking down some cabinets pretty soon.

-Steven
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:32 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

To have a high R vent it needs to have a high aspect ratio and as long as you can get away with.

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 03:44 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

So, here we are today. I'll go with your recommendation of a 9L box tuned to 60hz with a 1" port. When I plug all this into my box calculator it tells me that the port should be 1" long. Could you confirm this?

Thanks,
Steven
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:31 PM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
So, here we are today. I'll go with your recommendation of a 9L box tuned to 60hz with a 1" port. When I plug all this into my box calculator it tells me that the port should be 1" long. Could you confirm this?
I get 29mm. Note that i'd use this tuning oonly with a high ratio slot vent (in which case you can use the CGR as a reference. With a cylindrical port i would tune a bit lower -- say 40mm x 1" vent.

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

FWIW, here's a screen shot of a 9 litre box with 1.5" (38mm) long vent.

heff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7.3 9L BR.jpg (184.1 KB, 275 views)
Old 10th May 2012, 09:39 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

My cabinets based on the reflex port design listed on Mark Audio's website.

So nearly finished...

Click the image to open in full size.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A7-BR-Studio-AU2.jpg (49.7 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg A7-BR-Studio-AU.jpg (34.7 KB, 252 views)
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:07 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default bookshelf BR A7.2

Is the br-cabinet for the A 7.3 also useful for the A 7.2? If not: does anyone know a custom bookshelf br-design for this speaker?
Thanks,
Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Au View Post
My cabinets based on the reflex port design listed on Mark Audio's website.

So nearly finished...

Hide this!Advertise here!