Alpair 7.3 Bookshelf Bass Reflex? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 2nd May 2012, 10:50 PM   #21
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
I've attached a couple photos for you to take a look at. Let me know if you see any discrepancies in the parameters that I'm not seeing that may be causing it to not show the frequency response rising above zero.

Thanks,
Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Does winisd allow for modelling of stuff in a vented box? I know unibox does and I find (in the model and audibly) that adding stuffing to a response like you have there can mellow out the tuning peak.

well FWIW, Dave uses an older Mac based program ( I just asked him while multi-tasking, and promptly forgot - but let's just say it runs on OS9), so the results might not be graphically presented exactly the same as newer programs

and in any case, part of the experience is in knowing when /how to work around program defaults to achieve specific in situ results in known venues - as opposed to technically correct in cyberspace theoretical rooms.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:56 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I really believe using eq is the best way to accomplish StevenZ goals, in the nearfield.

I recently brought home my desktop speakers just to see how much difference it makes. In 7L sealed the cones were having a wild ride at mild listening levels WITHOUT the boost . At my desk, it's a challenge to make them visibly move. And the bass is nice.

I've actually been thinking of upgrading to the alp7s. To many other things to buy
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:03 PM   #23
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris, I appreciate the input. I think one might be confused about my goals here. As of right now I'm using them nearfield in my office, but my plans are to build a nice hefty bookshelf for them to run in a small listening room I've got at the house. I've tried them in the Pensil enclosures and got good results but am interested in building bookshelf enclosures at the moment as I have a really nice subwoofer I'd like to couple with them to fill out the bottom end.

Touching on the response from WinISD, you're correct. Sometimes we need to tweak and adjust to get the proper results. This is a perfect example of that. I let the program model up a box based on the driver parameters and it gave me something like .375 (?)ft enclosure and tuned it at about 58hz. I then increased the enclosure size to .5 and played with the tuning. Doing this resulted in a better looking response as well as being able to go down to 50hz theoretically. I'll wait until Dave replies to move forward on this project.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Ah ok. Yup, I didn't understand that. Don't do what I do then if using it in your living room. If using a sub though, you may not need the extra bass extention. Just a thought if you want to save yourself some build time.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:41 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Ah ok. Yup, I didn't understand that. Don't do what I do then if using it in your living room. If using a sub though, you may not need the extra bass extention. Just a thought if you want to save yourself some build time.
You may be right. But for those late night listening sessions I'd like to run without a sub but still have a bit of bottom end. That's where the ported enclosure comes in handy.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:43 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Why not just punch a 1.5" dia. hole in your existing boxes, and stick a couple pieces of plastic plumbing pipe in as an experiment. Tune the box at 55Hz, and you should get about the same F3.

jeff
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:32 AM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
From what I'm seeing in WinISD is that it never crosses 0 even with those two figures I gave you.
Click the image to open in full size.

The graph is too small to do a good illustration, but the 1st derivative clearly crosses zeo twice in this chart. Post a bigger picture and i'll annotate. (also is it possible to change the colour scheme so that the FR curve is different from the graticle?

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:35 AM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
well FWIW, Dave uses an older Mac based program ( I just asked him while multi-tasking, and promptly forgot - but let's just say it runs on OS9)
John Murphy's.He abandoned the Mac, it only runs in Windows now. It does a good job of charting.

dave
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:39 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

The chart was done on the work computer. I'll see if I can blow it up tomorrow and change the color to something easier to identify.

Thanks,
Steven

P.S. still confused about your 1st derivative but am looking forward to your explanation.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:54 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Why not just punch a 1.5" dia. hole in your existing boxes, and stick a couple pieces of plastic plumbing pipe in as an experiment. Tune the box at 55Hz, and you should get about the same F3.
Lookin gat the curves generated that was the one i liked. 1" ID pipe 54mm long (1.5" starts earing too much internal volume).

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!