CHR70 ShoeBox-70.3 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th April 2012, 03:31 AM   #21
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

No Spec, the DIY board isn't exactly the same as the genus33d - I'm no expert, but my understading is the genus33d has a DSP built in and allows you to set XO digitally, right?
Old 14th April 2012, 11:52 PM   #22
Spec is offline Spec  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
No Spec, the DIY board isn't exactly the same as the genus33d - I'm no expert, but my understading is the genus33d has a DSP built in and allows you to set XO digitally, right?
Yeh it has DSP and in lead to beleve it can be set with some software.

If the above is correct it would make for a nice tri amp for some 3 ways.
Old 17th April 2012, 02:58 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Been doing a little planning over the last few days.

I cant sink any money into it yet, Lost my housemate so rent has been expensive!

I have been looking into speaker bracing, I thought it was suggested somewhere but cant find the reference.

Would a simple brace on the back of the speaker be needed? I was thinking of a simple "K" shaped frame with the vertical part of the" K" on the back of the speaker.

This would also provide a box brace as well.

I tried to find some information on designing speaker braces after seeing all these crazy designs with holes all though them. Do the holes have any rules to them, or make any changes to the box design, or are they more of a lightening weight feature.

thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 04:07 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Holey to let air pass thru them. To create a changing box width perpendicular to the brace. To break up panel resonances.

If you are actually going to brace the driver, you want a solid path to the back of the box.

Holes typically 30-40% the area of the panel.

dave
Old 17th April 2012, 12:35 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Just to add to what Dave has already stated above, the holes should be spaced as such that they do not weaken the brace (too many holes closely put togther or too close to edges might do that).
Old 27th April 2012, 11:17 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Slow update, A housemate has been found, and my bank account will be back to normal.

Might start building the box's next weekend

Started making some wires for the project, Decided to give the cat 5 platted style, I got 9 pairs total in a 3x3 configuration, Some Techflex braid and bannana plugs on the way.

Never going to braid again haha, That stuff is time consuming, Need to do 1 more meter for the wires inside the box's

Next Q would be on deadening suggestions inside the box.

I was planning on painting the entire inside with body deadner, Adding some foam as mentioned in the plans, Filling the Spare area with quarts sand as noted in the plans as well.

Might also as something on the angled part behind the driver, and Stuff with some Dacron.

Have many people had much experience from dynaxorb?

DynaXorb
Old 29th April 2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Andy17 is offline Andy17  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Next Q would be on deadening suggestions inside the box.

I was planning on painting the entire inside with body deadner, Adding some foam as mentioned in the plans, Filling the Spare area with quarts sand as noted in the plans as well.
In a german (Hobby Hifi) comparison a "steel shot mat" Korff AG - Hawaphon added with felt shows the best result. Bitumen with felt (cheaper) was quite good also.
A convenience product is BAWOTUMEX
But I have no personal experiences with these materials!
Quarz sand in smaller quantities I got quite cheap as aquarium accessories.

Andreas
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:30 PM   #28
bayensf is offline bayensf  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up I bought them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
This is what imthinking of powering the speakers with

Sinewave Genius 33D

Sinewave Electronics Co.,Limited Sinewave electronics co.,limited

DSP DAC and 3 channel amp all in one, WOuld be a perfect little unit for me.

Downside is I found it hard to find on this website as well haha
Hi

I have sold 2 of them to direkt power my 3 way speaker (DIY). I am waiting for delivery and will let you know.......if anyone is interested?
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:29 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Bayensf,

Let us know your impressions once you've had a chance to listen.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:53 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Bumpy, Work Has Progressed somewhat. Been a busy week or two with what not but managed to get a start.

No pics, All bits have been cut for the box's, and starting assembly, Need to paint bits while its apart which I might get done over the next few days, Inside of the port will be matt white.

Drivers have been ordered from Dan Archer audio, My local supply agent. I got the CHR-70 MkII with the black caps on the metal cones.

And I finished my wires as well.

Ok so I lied, I took some pics for you guys haha.

Said wires, 3x3 twisted pair cat 5 cables, Nice small banana plugs and some braiding and heat shrink.

Click the image to open in full size.

Start of one of the box's, I decided I want to totally seal the upper portion of the rear of the box where the quarts sand shall live, Insted of pleating all the sides of the box for a removable back, I made a solid piece, then cut the 2 holes as seen with a jigsaw.

Click the image to open in full size.

Box is 12mm MDF cost me $25 for a heap of it pre cut into some 120mm and 230mm wide bits, this saved me a heap of time, I was able to cut them to the right size with a drop saw and app bits were cut in an hour.

Internal bracing will be done with a driver brace and ill add another one a little lower.

In the meantime, When I pulled the router out to do some work, it was sounding nasty haha, 15 years of use between me and my dad, The body is still near new, So I have had to order 2 new bearings and a bush for the motor lol Hopefully the parts done take too long so I can continue the project, I need it to trim sheets and veneer and what not lol

Last edited by Spec; 8th May 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!