Any update on paper drivers yet mark? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 8th April 2012, 09:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any update on paper drivers yet mark?

Hello mark I hope all is going well for you. I read and understand the post about using other peoples names of companys and I agree 100%. Now to the question at hand. I was looking at your Alpair 6-p drivers to use in a project awhile ago. I never built them due to me not having a 4 ohm amp. If I wanted to use your drivers I would have to buy 2 of them and that would mean double the money. So mark Are you going to make them in a 8 ohm version soon? Also are you going to make the bigger dirvers in paper? That would be up my alley because I am a paper cone fan. Well thanks again for making a product that sells and diyers enjoy. Keep up the good work. jm

Last edited by cross reference; 8th April 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 8th April 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Hello mark I hope all is going well for you. I read and understand the post about using other peoples names of companys and I agree 100%. Now to the question at hand. I was looking at your Alpair 6-p drivers to use in a project awhile ago. I never built them due to me not having a 4 ohm amp. If I wanted to use your drivers I would have to buy 2 of them and that would mean double the money. So mark Are you going to make them in a 8 ohm version soon? Also are you going to make the bigger dirvers in paper? That would be up my alley because I am a paper cone fan. Well thanks again for making a product that sells and diyers enjoy. Keep up the good work. jm
Hi Jm,
Good to hear from you. I'm doing OK but really busy making drivers and preparing for Alp12P, MAOP and possibly a replacement woofer and tweeter.

Re the Alp6's, I'm unlikely to make an 8 ohm winding since it adds significant additional mass to the power-train. I added a decent 4 ohm 10 watt audio resistor in series to a pair of 6P's to make an 8 ohm load a while back. I was in Japan playing with a nice mini-transistor amp at the time. Sounded good. Granted this isn't the purist approach.

Re large paper cone drivers, take a look at: Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone)

Cheers
Mark
Old 10th April 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks mark I guess I will have to save and buy a new amp that goes down to 4 ohms or I will have to buy 2 pairs of drivers and hook them up in series and get the 8 ohms. Thanks again mark and good luck hope to mess with your drivers soon. jm
Old 10th April 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

This had me take a quick look at the published graph for the 6P, and I note that while the printed spec lists Revc (voice coil DCR I assume), the impedance curve doesn't actually drop much (if at all) below 6 ohms at audio frequencies from 20-20K.

One is never to old to ask a stupid question - one more for today is - which of those numbers is the significant one to the amplifier when playing music?
Old 10th April 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well my amp goes from 6 ohms to 12 ohms. It is printed that this amp cann't go below 6 ohms or a above 12 ohms. I looked at the specs. on madisounds web site and I saw was specs. Then looked at the gragh. Well I never knew I could compair the two. Thanks again for pointingthat out. I never stop learning which is a good thing.jm
Old 10th April 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What amp?

dave
Old 10th April 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well the little amp I have now is the TDA Dayton 100a T -amp and it sounds night and day next to my old sansui from the 70's. The sansui is not worth fixing so I am saving up for a new amp but, for right now this one is good.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Jm,
Good to hear from you. I'm doing OK but really busy making drivers and preparing for Alp12P, MAOP and possibly a replacement woofer and tweeter.

Re the Alp6's, I'm unlikely to make an 8 ohm winding since it adds significant additional mass to the power-train. I added a decent 4 ohm 10 watt audio resistor in series to a pair of 6P's to make an 8 ohm load a while back. I was in Japan playing with a nice mini-transistor amp at the time. Sounded good. Granted this isn't the purist approach.

Re large paper cone drivers, take a look at: Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone)

Cheers
Mark

Sounds like good news I will save and wait jm
Old 11th April 2012, 01:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It's probably fine. The impedance without a xo is benign although low. Unless you crank it...
Old 12th April 2012, 01:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
It's probably fine. The impedance without a xo is benign although low. Unless you crank it...
Hi Tux, (guys),
Agreed, provided member Natural Sound goes easy on the volume, his 100A T amp should be OK. I'd be tempted to try a 2 or 4 ohm 10 watt audio resistor in series just to tad safer on the load side.

Re another issue, I read your comment in another thread:

"This isn't going to make me very popular, but all the measurements I've seen of Mark's stuff differs from his. Which is ironic because he's so nutty about measurements and likes to take jabs at DIY'er who measure".

Making a criticism shouldn't lower your own popularity. I try to take both praise and critical comment with equal attention. Your comment is overly selective and doesn't accurately reflect my position on the testing issue. You missed these points: I'm on record for being critical on my own industry on issues of potential misleading data presentation. I've also been publicly critical of some driver makers who claim the "high end" of the market, yet publish precious little data. I feel they should join this forum and argue/promote their products in a more "open" way. Far as I know, I'm the only maker who at Diyer's request, changed to publishing RAW frequency data, by doing so took a commercial risk.

Generally:

I don't "like" (as Tux implies) to wantonly criticise anyone. Much of the time, I excercise restraint by making only measured comment. The audio world has so many theories and ideas of various kinds, I find it best to say nothing for fear of bruising egos.

I say to those in or associated with the audio business, who consider themselves professional, who are critical of my work and other makers, who believe they have fountains of driver knowledge; The solution is simple, put yourselves on the line by designing and building your own drivers. That is "Design", don't come running to the factories here and search the various parts bins. Bring your own ideas into reality and help give the hobby more genuine choice.

I'm not sure why its assumed that Hobby Hi-Fi's tests (and similar) are completely accurate. For those makers (including me) who invest a ton of money in test equipment, anechoic isolation facilities and allot of time, it's frustrating that much of the independent testing is automatically assumed to be reliable.

I am all for guys testing and evaluating drivers and systems. My wish is that all parties involved in testing take a more measured objective approach when publishing their findings and better bear in mind the challenges in attaining accurate measurements. I recently gave Tux (guys) advice in a thread (link below), in an effort to assist Diyers do more testing (post 46):

What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

I thank Tux and all Diyers for your positive comments on the performance of Markaudio drivers. Along with my team, we earnestly try our best to make drivers that home builders can use and enjoy.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 12th April 2012 at 03:51 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!