Any update on paper drivers yet mark? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 12th April 2012, 12:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The DTA 100A will drive 4 ohm loads just fine. I use it for that application constantly. In fact the DTA 100A is my driver break in amp and was recently rpowering my CHR-70.3s.

I have used this amp to power Overnight Sensation MTMs in my garage at levels high enough to hear over the router and vacuum with hearing protection in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Well the little amp I have now is the TDA Dayton 100a T -amp and it sounds night and day next to my old sansui from the 70's. The sansui is not worth fixing so I am saving up for a new amp but, for right now this one is good.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi all. How is this new 70mm driver coming along. Will it have the the bass of the EL-70 along with the detail and finesse of the 6p ? I guess this is everyone's hope.
Old 26th May 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I would not use a 4 ohm load on the dayton Dta t amp. I called and talked to the guy who built them. I have used the Dta amp up to 12 ohms no problems but, for a very short time. I guy also said if you can get up to 10 amps you could get the full 50 watts out of this amp not the 30 watts. jm
Old 27th May 2012, 05:00 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssportclay View Post
Hi all. How is this new 70mm driver coming along. Will it have the the bass of the EL-70 along with the detail and finesse of the 6p ? I guess this is everyone's hope.
Hi ssportclay,
New 70-mm driver? I've recently completed the up-grades to CHR-70 (now gen. 3) and Alpair 7 (now Gen. 3).

Thx
Mark
Old 27th May 2012, 12:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think you're confused. The guy "who builds them" is some factory in China. You can definitely get 50 watts out, but you will be at 10% distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
I would not use a 4 ohm load on the dayton Dta t amp. I called and talked to the guy who built them. I have used the Dta amp up to 12 ohms no problems but, for a very short time. I guy also said if you can get up to 10 amps you could get the full 50 watts out of this amp not the 30 watts. jm
Old 27th May 2012, 01:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi ssportclay,
New 70-mm driver? I've recently completed the up-grades to CHR-70 (now gen. 3) and Alpair 7 (now Gen. 3).

Thx
Mark
Hi Mark: I was actually thinking more in terms of the next generation CSS EL70 which I believe is about 3 years old now. The Alpair 7 is a first rate metal driver while the CHR-70 has more of a classic old school sound. The EL70 still seems to be the preferred paper cone driver of choice by the high Tech guys reaching for the brass ring. Is the EL70 as good as it gets or is there room for improvement for a newer generation. 70mm seems like the sweet spot in getting everything you can.
Old 27th May 2012, 03:26 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Is the EL70 as good as it gets
In an overall ultimate compare, the A7.3 is ahead of EL70.

The EL70 gains on A7.3 when budget is low, in bass extention, or when source or support equipment starts getting weedy.

dave
Old 27th May 2012, 03:34 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Mark: I was actually thinking more in terms of the next generation CSS EL70 which I believe is about 3 years old now. The Alpair 7 is a first rate metal driver while the CHR-70 has more of a classic old school sound. The EL70 still seems to be the preferred paper cone driver of choice by the high Tech guys reaching for the brass ring. Is the EL70 as good as it gets or is there room for improvement for a newer generation. 70mm seems like the sweet spot in getting everything you can.
Hi ssportclay,
The EL-70 was my first paper cone driver. The preferred 70-mm coned drivers by volume sold are the Alpair 7 and CHR's, both have outstripped EL sales several times over. The Alpair 6P has outsold the EL-70 to date by 2 to 1.

To give a sense of perspective, the EL-70 production volume was some 1200 units, of which some are still to be sold some 3 years on. Compare this to sales of CHR-70 Gen.3 in Japan alone for the last 2 quarter's (6 months) which have netted out 1450 units. Add in N. America and this year's deliveries to the EU, CHR sales have passed 2000 units. The Alpair 7 Gen.3 has netted sales of some 1400 units in the last 2+ quarters.

The presence of the EL-70 on the Diyaudio forum is mostly generated by Dave (Planet 10) who's agenda is to push for its replacement, making the prominence of the EL somewhat artificial. While I believe the EL-70 is an excellent driver, being satisfied with my original design effort, this model has not sold so well.

In order to survive commercially, I can't always follow the desires of one or a few members, unless they're willing to buy large stock volumes and take on the commercial risk themselves.

Unfortunately, the efforts to corner me to replace the EL-70 does me commercial damage. It creates choice doubts in many potential users who regularly email me with their confusion.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 27th May 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 27th May 2012, 07:07 PM   #19
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Not to detract from your comments above - but along with other factors does the slow sales of the CSS EL-70 have something to do with the absence of the Mark Audio brand at first sight? Besides, since it is an older driver, it seems that the common assumption is that it has already been superseeded in terms of capability by your new drivers.

What I am saying in summary is that you have built a solid reputation among a good number of DIYers for high performance full-range drivers. Please keep up the good work!

- Zia
Old 27th May 2012, 08:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
In an overall ultimate compare, the A7.3 is ahead of EL70.

The EL70 gains on A7.3 when budget is low, in bass extention, or when source or support equipment starts getting weedy.

dave
Hi Dave: I guess I am really trying to kick around the small differences in the 70mm paper cone drivers. The older EL-70 seems to be favored by some over the newer CHP-70. It seems the EL-70 fills a need while the CHP-70 seems to be aimed at a different part of the market. Instead of the EL-70 product just dying and leaving once all unit are eventually sold, would it not be practical for an improved EL-70 to be introduced along side the current CHP-70 ? I think extending the discussion will actually reduce confusion. After all, there are many available drivers from which to choose.

Hide this!Advertise here!