Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 8th April 2012, 06:00 AM   #1
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Default When will we get CHS-70?

Hi Mark and folks,

I just saw the new CHS-70 driver on the official website yet I cannot find any news on the forum; and the PDF's Chinese only, so I suspect it's a regional offering targeted at the Chinese market only. But nonetheless, here's the question: when will we get the driver and is it going to be available in Hong Kong? Just from the published specs and the pressed steel frame alone, I suspect it's not as robustly engineered as the CHR-70, but if the price is right, I think I can get a couple to experiment with radical designs that I do not dare to risk with the regular units.

Looking forward to hearing any good news.
Old 8th April 2012, 06:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
Hi Mark and folks,

I just saw the new CHS-70 driver on the official website yet I cannot find any news on the forum; and the PDF's Chinese only, so I suspect it's a regional offering targeted at the Chinese market only. But nonetheless, here's the question: when will we get the driver and is it going to be available in Hong Kong? Just from the published specs and the pressed steel frame alone, I suspect it's not as robustly engineered as the CHR-70, but if the price is right, I think I can get a couple to experiment with radical designs that I do not dare to risk with the regular units.

Looking forward to hearing any good news.
Hi Boris,
Talk to Tony Wong. He's considering making a bulk purchase along with a Beijing distributor. Tony's contact details here (Hong Kong SAR): Dealers | Markaudio

Thx
Mark.
Old 8th April 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like a variation on the CHR with black cone (like the Blue Planet special CHR) and a stamped steel basket for lower price.

dave
Old 8th April 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Thanks Mark, I'm sure I'll check with Tony.
Old 18th April 2012, 11:57 AM   #5
soren5 is offline soren5  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

This seems like an interesting driver. I’ve been looking for a black metal-coned Markaudio driver. Any plans about European distribution?

Also, could you provide some more details about the driver? I already own the CHR-70.3 and the Alpair 7.3 and would be interested in knowing how the CHS-70 compares to these.

Thanks,
Soren
Old 18th April 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soren5 View Post
Hi Mark,

This seems like an interesting driver. Ive been looking for a black metal-coned Markaudio driver. Any plans about European distribution?

Also, could you provide some more details about the driver? I already own the CHR-70.3 and the Alpair 7.3 and would be interested in knowing how the CHS-70 compares to these.

Thanks,
Soren

Soren: I think a cursory look at current T/S specs for the 7.3 and CHR70.3 would suggest that with appropriate enclosure & tuning they'd sound much more similar than anyone who's heard both would attest. I've already posted my impressions of them.

As much as can be implied from the graphs (in my book, not necessarily much), I'd suspect the CHS to be brighter and more forward in the last 2 octaves above 5kHz. than either, and particularly the Alpair

but I could be out to lunch on that
Old 18th April 2012, 05:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Mark, a few of your recent measurements show saw teeth, particularly at 500, 900, and 1700hz. Is there a reflection in your chamber that correlates with that frequency?

Saw this one the CHS70 and new alp12 measurements. A couple others too if I recall correctly.
Old 18th April 2012, 08:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Mark, a few of your recent measurements show saw teeth, particularly at 500, 900, and 1700hz. Is there a reflection in your chamber that correlates with that frequency?

Saw this one the CHS70 and new alp12 measurements. A couple others too if I recall correctly.

or maybe it's just that they are RAW / unsmoothed?
Old 18th April 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Exactly. A raw measurement will show a reflection, if there is one. What I'm saying is those saw teeth may not be a characteristic of the driver. Considering those same saw teeth appear in to measurements carried out under the same conditions, but on different drivers. It's not the first time I've seen it happen, even in an anechoic chamber.

Then again, it could be coincedence or common resonances.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Exactly. A raw measurement will show a reflection, if there is one. What I'm saying is those saw teeth may not be a characteristic of the driver. Considering those same saw teeth appear in to measurements carried out under the same conditions, but on different drivers. It's not the first time I've seen it happen, even in an anechoic chamber.

Then again, it could be coincedence or common resonances.

I think I see where you're going - could be a combination of resonances / edge diffraction(s) if using common enclosure / baffle, and room boundary reflections? Although the latter is not too likely at higher frequencies even in a test chamber not fully anechoic (and how many indoor spaces truly are at all frequencies?)

In any case, it would be nice to know if there are artifacts common to all Mark's driver measurements - just one more reason in my mind to take them with a nugget of kosher salt

Hide this!Advertise here!