Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone) - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st May 2013, 06:55 PM   #241
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott.

Btw, i trust your judgment and for my needs i'd be inclined to construct the smaller box standard pencil.
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:35 PM   #242
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
ok, then its decided. I will build collin's enclosure 16L box. if I need bass supoort, I'll build a single subwoofer. I have a super8 around.
thanks!
The best bass I've had from a full-range driver (not counting my AN15) has been from an MLTL. I built a version of Dave's Castle (single driver version) using the EL-70. It's a paper cone driver designed by Mark (am I allowed to mention this on this forum ?) of only 4" but the bass is great (speaker standing on a hardwood floor). I would not want the complexity of adding a sub. I suspect that you will not need one either once you get your 12p into a better enclosure.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 2nd June 2013, 05:41 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

That's interesting and thought provoking, I guess I will have to decide without the pleasure of an audition. I suspect I will go for the bigger box as I like an expansive quality in the bass, and if I build the smaller one I suspect I will always be wondering "what if?"

One more question - people talk about using fiber fill for acoustic dampening, is this the standard stuff you stuff toys with or a brand name? I only ask because I cant seem to find it as a specific product for acoustic purposes.

Many thanks again for your time and support.
Old 2nd June 2013, 06:34 PM   #244
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Acousta-Stuf Polyfill - Acousta-Stuf Polyfill 1 lb. Bag 260-317
It is a nylon fiber, the following link compares it to other products such as polyester fiber pillow stuffing, etc. - Content warning

edit: i don't know the reason for the "blogger content warning" of the above link, just click on the red continue block to be directed to his site.

Last edited by mp9; 2nd June 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:07 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Thanks again, that's what I am after. I read earlier that the 12p was not designed to be near feild or "semi" near feild, but what's your opinion on what that constitutes? I have my speakers 4m away and was wondering, sorry if this is a silly question, wether I might be advised to queue up for the 10p instead?
Old 2nd June 2013, 07:34 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorienblack View Post
Thanks again, that's what I am after. I read earlier that the 12p was not designed to be near feild or "semi" near feild, but what's your opinion on what that constitutes? I have my speakers 4m away and was wondering, sorry if this is a silly question, wether I might be advised to queue up for the 10p instead?
4 meters isn't exactly near field. I listen to mine at ~3m, there are no issues.

jeff
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:33 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Near field is on your desk, e.g. a computer speaker, recording console, etc.

Say within a meter.
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:51 PM   #248
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
Near field is on your desk, e.g. a computer speaker, recording console, etc.

Say within a meter.

sounds about right to me - at work the distance is almost exactly a meter, and at home less than 3 feet, depending on whether the chair is titled back with my feet up to stream a Jon Stewart interview

Hide this!Advertise here!