Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone) - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 30th April 2013, 05:59 PM   #201
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
I really want the smallest box possible with the alpair 12p.
If you are going sealed all the info you need is in the 2nd graph i posted post #188.

dave
Old 30th April 2013, 06:02 PM   #202
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Are you using winisd? I cant seem to find the driver in the software.
I avoid Windows when i can. I ve to use XP regularily and it sucks. If you can't find a driver in the database add it.

dave
Old 30th April 2013, 06:05 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

WinISD will run in Windows 7. I wouldn't want to use XP either.

jeff
Old 30th April 2013, 06:24 PM   #204
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Buying a copy of Win 7 would be desirable, but costs $$$$. The Machine it runs on was free.

dave
Old 1st May 2013, 02:02 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
okay thanks for the help. What is the smallest box you would use for teh a12p?
It will not be used in a near-field application though. My computer is like my tv so im around 8 feet apart my tv...
I really want the smallest box possible with the alpair 12p. if 5 L is too small, what would be the smallest limit?
well the cheap equipment should be okay. the hifimediy dac is supposedly mpretty good and a t-amp is good stuff...

about the comment I said, what is the problem? I do not want to insult anyone or to try to show people I know something, but the wave argument seems a bit out of reality. Maybe the claim was true, but that doesnt prove the superiority of a fullrange. Anyways, feel free to tell me more about it, I'm really here to learn...
Hello Murphy,
You'll find members here will do their best to help you, so please be more specific when seeking advice. "5 litres" and "desktop" are all about near-field, no mention of the your longer listening distance in you first post. Guys can't advise well if you only give them half the story.

I'm guessing that the 5 litre idea is to save space on your desktop. That won't physically work to cater for an Alp12. I think Dave (Planet 10 et al) are helping you work out a minimum box size. At 8 feet, its still close for a Alp12. What is your room size? Can you draw a simple plan, show what your trying to achieve? Or post some pics of your room including the desk/computer.

Re your driver performance comments, they are problematic, not just from yourself, others also commented without doing the research to properly learn about how drivers function. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but its better to refrain from commenting when knowledge is quite limited. Learn first, gain experience over time, then start commenting.

I'm recovering from surgeries so only have so much time and energy to spread between member support, driver development and keeping a business going. Search recent threads on this forum. There's chat on driver performance, particularly this thread. Post No 91 onwards will enlighten you:

Future woofer production

And this site will give you insight: http://lean-audio.blogspot.hk

Thx
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 1st May 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:51 PM   #206
Account disabled at member's request

thanks mark, I'm reading the thread, and your right, I'm still quite new into this so I shouldnt so things I am not certain of, its quite pathetic if I start doing this. all im saying is my experience with FR, but even then, its quite limited and its hard to draw any "real" and objective opinion.
anyways, my box will be 10 liter. I'm trying to see if the planet 10 plans could work. there the mini onkens golden ratio, or the A12 DBR.
Old 1st May 2013, 03:12 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quote:
thanks mark, I'm reading the thread, and your right, I'm still quite new into this so I shouldnt so things I am not certain of, its quite pathetic if I start doing this. all im saying is my experience with FR, but even then, its quite limited and its hard to draw any "real" and objective opinion.
anyways, my box will be 10 liter. I'm trying to see if the planet 10 plans could work. there the mini onkens golden ratio, or the A12 DBR.
Hi Murphy,
The main thing is to take advantage of the body of knowledge (e.g. links given in my earlier post), goodwill and advice available on this forum. We all want you to enjoy this hobby, best achieved by making a system to most suits your room environment and listening tastes.

Before you leap in and get Alpair 12 drivers, consider the Alp 10's, 7's (or CHR's). Size wise, these drivers might be better suited to your situation. Worth taking another read of member Chris's early post on this thread.

Thx
Mark.
Old 1st May 2013, 04:32 PM   #208
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Ummmmmmph........I feel a urge to give my credit card a workout. All this talk of amps is giving me thoughts about investing in more gear. From Joplins to Toppings. Bob Brines was chatting to me recently about his set up which I found very interesting (sorry Bob if I'm steeling your thunder):

"I have a 9w/ch 6BQ7 PP. It does take a bit of the edge off of the top, but I had it custom designed to sound as close to solid state as possible. And it does. Very honest sound. I prefer digital amps, and my go to amp is a Topping TP-60 (TA2020). I really want to try an amp using the TI TDA chips, as the Tripath chips are getting a bit long in the tooth. The only ones I have found to day are very cheap, low end models. Once I find one with better parts, I'll jun on it."

I've been wedded to 300B's for the last 3 years so its time I explored other valve (tube) set ups. I also need to get myself into digital lossless downloads and a good Dac to suit.

Member recommendations are welcomed. Happy to start a new thread to suit.

So much to do once I've got past the latest driver production developments.

Cheers
Mark.
Full digital?
CLASS D INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER SHOOTOUT 2012
Old 1st May 2013, 05:14 PM   #209
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default groundhog day?

it this like, deja vu all over again?

Murph; didn't we have some of these same substantive conversations a couple of years ago? ("noob building Fonkens"- etc)

Since this is Mark's commercial forum, I'll avoid mentioning the other brand with which many of us Alpairians also dally with guilty pleasure (but late at night, with a locked door )

"sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't - Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds, don't"

Anyway, unlike the monolithic domestic or foreign speaker manufacturers whose products many of us DIYers use, I challenge you to find a designer / builder of driver as forthcoming or generous with his time and experience as Mark.

In the "complex music" thread, I believe you mentioned that you already have a pair of 12P, and are currently using them in enclosures that are clearly not delivering as hoped. As I and others have mentioned before, the 12Ps are quite wonderful drivers and IMNSHO deserve a full sized enclosure and a reasonably sized room (>300ft^2) and listening distance / separation (min 8ft / 6ft respectively) to deliver near their full potential. There are of course certain domestic situations in which the two factors just named are present, but are trumped by others - not necessarily financial, but still named "spouse" (oops, loving wife)

In reading your various posts, it sounds like you're discussing two separate application / systems. Even allowing for an optimal enclosure, nearfield is simply not one in which I think the 12P can be fully appreciated - this is certainly the wheelhouse of the smaller drivers. If you're committed to the flavour of paper drivers, then Mark's current offerings in this size range would be the Alpair 6P, CHP70.3 (I personally find a bit shy at the top), the just released and soon to be available 10P (likely to sell out quick), and further down the road we hope, the Alpair8P.

OTOH, if you're open to metal cones, the CHR70 would be an entry level bargoon, and for more resolution, finesse and detail the A7.3 is hard to beat. Both work very well in enclosures as small as you're anticipating - but even better in full sized boxes.

Last edited by chrisb; 1st May 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: punctuaiton, further pontification
Old 1st May 2013, 06:39 PM   #210
Account disabled at member's request

lol
Mark: I already have in my possession the alpair 12p. bought them new, and to sell them at a redced price, likely what, 250$, is not worth it for mne since I paid 360$, with the tax and shipping and all that. POlus, I really want the cone to be paper, nothing else.

Chris, yep. The box its in right now is much too big for my needs. I will post icture of the system I want to build.
Its in my living room, for my computer and movies powered either by a buffalo dac or a 50$ hifimediy dac and powered by a art0 class d module.
I am 8 feet away, maybe 9. I guess that this will have to do. I do not want to loose money here and purchase a smaller driver, rather keep a 6,5 inch driver anyway. My experience with 4 inch drivers have never let me happy for a long time. The alpair 12p sounds amazing imo from 150hz up. All I want to have is a f3 of maybe 60hz. Do you think thats acheivable with a 10L box? I will use eq for sure. this will not be critical listening, rather then a fun system for movies, tv, and music while browsing the net...
What enclosure from dave could do? Should I just build a box with my maximum size and hope it comes out nice? Ported or closed?

BTW, I dont think I ever mentionned that I didnt like the a12p. I never said that the bass sucked or anything, just that compared to my big syustem, there is no comparison in the bass department. thats all I meant.
thanks

Last edited by murphythecat8; 1st May 2013 at 06:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!