Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone) - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 29th April 2013, 10:52 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPH View Post
Hi all,
Anyone who test Alpair 12p with flee amp such as Tony 2a3 amp,...please advice?
Thanks
Hi HPH,
I've been thinking about buying a 2A3 from Japan. There's allot of guys in Japan using 2A3 mated to Markaudio drivers and building larger enclosures. The blogs and chat traffic is all in Japanese and searching is problematic for English language users.

I've used Diy HiFi Supplies (Brian Cherry) Joplin 2A3 in past years with much pleasure on first gen Alpair 10's and 12's. I'm confident a marriage of 12P's to a nice 2A3 will work well.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joplin-finished1.jpg (25.2 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 30th April 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:43 PM   #192
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Diy HiFi Supplies (Brian Cherry) Joplin 2A3
One of Brian's amps i'd love to see resurrected. It should be noted that this amp is PP, not often seen with 2A3.

dave
Old 30th April 2013, 12:24 AM   #193
HPH is offline HPH  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Hi Mr.Mark,
Thanks for your reply. Please advice which Japan 2a3 amp you are going to test.
Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 12:53 AM   #194
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 12P Pencil Vs Super-Pencil

What is the difference specifically?

Why would one bother with the super pencil?

Louder bass, lower extension etc?

Is there a sim?

Thank you

Last edited by TiMBoZ; 30th April 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 30th April 2013, 01:08 AM   #195
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

HPH, i run my A12P with a Fi 2A3 amp without any problems. I actually prefer using the 45 tube in the Fi amp with my A12P, again no trouble driving them in my small to modest sized rooms. I also have a HH Scott 222c 18wpc push-pull tube integrated amp/new Psvane EL84-T's. By comparison i don't feel the Fi 2A3 single ended triode amp with either the 2A3 tube or 45 tube lacking in any way power wise at reasonable ~85db listening levels.
Old 30th April 2013, 01:21 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Ummmmmmph........I feel a urge to give my credit card a workout. All this talk of amps is giving me thoughts about investing in more gear. From Joplins to Toppings. Bob Brines was chatting to me recently about his set up which I found very interesting (sorry Bob if I'm steeling your thunder):

"I have a 9w/ch 6BQ7 PP. It does take a bit of the edge off of the top, but I had it custom designed to sound as close to solid state as possible. And it does. Very honest sound. I prefer digital amps, and my go to amp is a Topping TP-60 (TA2020). I really want to try an amp using the TI TDA chips, as the Tripath chips are getting a bit long in the tooth. The only ones I have found to day are very cheap, low end models. Once I find one with better parts, I'll jun on it."

I've been wedded to 300B's for the last 3 years so its time I explored other valve (tube) set ups. I also need to get myself into digital lossless downloads and a good Dac to suit.

Member recommendations are welcomed. Happy to start a new thread to suit.

So much to do once I've got past the latest driver production developments.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 30th April 2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 30th April 2013, 08:11 AM   #197
HPH is offline HPH  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

Hi Mr.Mark,
I have borrowed Trafomatic experience one (2a3 integrated amp) and yamamoto a-08s 45 power amp last few weeks to mate with 12p. They are both sound very very good but though a-08s is champion.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:57 PM   #198
Account disabled at member's request

okay thanks for the help. What is the smallest box you would use for teh a12p?
It will not be used in a near-field application though. My computer is like my tv so im around 8 feet apart my tv...
I really want the smallest box possible with the alpair 12p. if 5 L is too small, what would be the smallest limit?
well the cheap equipment should be okay. the hifimediy dac is supposedly mpretty good and a t-amp is good stuff...

about the comment I said, what is the problem? I do not want to insult anyone or to try to show people I know something, but the wave argument seems a bit out of reality. Maybe the claim was true, but that doesnt prove the superiority of a fullrange. Anyways, feel free to tell me more about it, I'm really here to learn...

Quote:
Hi Murphy,
Using such a large driver for near-field (desktop) is about the worst application I can think of. As Dave (Planet 10) said, 5 Litres if far too small a box volume. And you want to use "cheap" input equipment to feed a highly resonance sensitive driver? What's your technical reasoning for considering this approach?

While we're on the subject of suitability and performance, I read this comment from you on the full-range section of the forum:

"its really simple to understand, but this is, in no way, a argument to put the fullrange ahead of a good multi-way.
what about the sinewave that a fullrange CANNOT reproduce? the sub bass for example. Or the break up it need to do in order to make the highs. I'm sure that the sinewave is heavily affected by the break up modes. Also, what about the supposedly perfect sinewave reprodue with a fullrange when the cone excursion is ridiculous because the fullrange needs to reproduce all the bandwith."

I'm glad to see members debating driver performance issues but sad to read too many errors in knowledge and thinking from some who believe they know what they're talking about. Given that I make full-rangers, woofers and tweets, I'm likely to be the best place member to ask Exactly how drivers function and perform. There's no such thing as "really simple". The application of emittance from transducers is far more complex than you state. I recommend you search recent threads on the Markudio section of the forum, as driver performance has been discussed at much greater depth.

Thanks
Mark.
Old 30th April 2013, 02:31 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi HPH,
I've been thinking about buying a 2A3 from Japan. There's allot of guys in Japan using 2A3 mated to Markaudio drivers and building larger enclosures. The blogs and chat traffic is all in Japanese and searching is problematic for English language users.

I've used Diy HiFi Supplies (Brian Cherry) Joplin 2A3 in past years with much pleasure on first gen Alpair 10's and 12's. I'm confident a marriage of 12P's to a nice 2A3 will work well.

Cheers
Mark.
I think it would be great Mark if you acquired a SET 2A3 especially considering this is what the Japanese market is interested in. This is the direction I want to go in. I heard the 10.2's in a small room with a SET 2A3 and they were incredible and went into the 80's. It was so sweet that I craved a bit more in SPL. In a medium size to larger room the presentation would have been less. It truly was however like peering into the soul of the music. The micro detail is astounding. It beats anything else I've heard up to date after auditioning the shops and peoples homes. I'm hoping that the new 10P may be a good match for a SET 2A3.
Old 30th April 2013, 03:06 PM   #200
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
F10 won't even hit 70 sealed, and it is too small for vented.

dave
hi
thanks for that.
so 5L is definitely too small. Are you using winisd? I cant seem to find the driver in the software.
what would be the smalles box you would use for the 12p?
My box dimension could be, but this is as a maximum: 8.5 inch width x 12 height x 10 inch deep. I could maybe go a bit more height, but thats about it, I cannot play with the deepness and the width.
This box would give me around 10l. would that be enough? What would be the f3?

Hide this!Advertise here!