Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone) - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd May 2012, 04:05 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

That would be great. Out of date is fine. I'm learning the basics. I can learn about cutting edge tech later.
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:39 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

I can't believe they dont have an ebook for that stooopid thing.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:10 PM   #143
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I'm learning the basics. I can learn about cutting edge tech later.
Yes, that was my thought. Next up is probably John Eargle's tome, then Dr. Geddes's Audio Transducers. After these, I only know of AES papers [Alan Babb was writing a good one on layered VC design, though don't know if it ever got published], patents. FWIW, back when I followed such things I relied heavily on NASA Tech Briefs to keep me abreast of cutting edge technology.

WRT manufacturing, I've never seen anything more explicit than the late Altec Lansing's shop training manuals back in the Stone Age ['60s], so may need to go to work for a major manufacturer to learn all about the ever changing production side of of things.

GM
Old 4th May 2012, 09:21 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Here's the studio pics of the first batch of 12P drivers. Note each driver has its resonance frequency recorded on its label. The drivers have been grouped together according to their test frequency so its possible for dealers to sell you close matched drivers. The tested variation on all the first batch of drivers is 42Hz +/- 2Hz. Of the 92 drivers produced, 74 are either 42Hz or 43Hz, the remainder are either 40 to 41Hz or 44Hz.

Matsubara san and me did some last minute "tweaks" on the rear suspension, so take a look at the production data set on the PDF driver downloads section of the Markaudio website, as this data refers to this production batch:

Markaudio

A plans category on the markaudio has also been made, so hoping to load up some plans in the coming days/week or so.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alp12P-1.jpg (279.8 KB, 890 views)
File Type: jpg alp12P-2-sml.jpg (125.9 KB, 862 views)
Old 4th May 2012, 03:59 PM   #145
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Sexy
Old 4th May 2012, 06:24 PM   #146
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

When was the last time you read this in a manufacture's data sheet?:

Quote:
Iʼd like to thank all those who assisted in the design and development process, especially existing Markaudio driver users, whoʼs feedback was instrumental in the 12Pʼs final incarnation.

Looking forward to hearing these Mark - nice work
Old 4th May 2012, 06:29 PM   #147
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Very nice touch by Mark, and look forward (kind of impatiently ) to hearing the drivers!
Old 10th May 2012, 01:30 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Is there any update on the Alpair 12p drivers yet? I am looking at the Alpair 12's to buy? Is there going to be a date yet? Thanks jm
Old 10th May 2012, 02:27 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Is there any update on the Alpair 12p drivers yet? I am looking at the Alpair 12's to buy? Is there going to be a date yet? Thanks jm
Hi Natural, N. America Guys,
Drivers are shipping out from my Hong Kong warehouse to Madisound in next few days. They will likely load up on to ship around the end of next week, taking approx 5 weeks to arrive at Madisound.

There are 48 matched 12P's in the consignment. Talk to Brian, Adam and their sales team:Contact Madisound Speaker Components, Inc.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 27th May 2012, 08:38 PM   #150
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I managed to persuade Mark to sell me a pair of the first production run of the A12P's. These arrived Friday. One of only 2-pairs in the UK, I believe. The other pair with Scottmoose.

I must say they do look very nice indeed. They ooze quality. Mark and his team have produced a very fine driver here in the paper coned gen2. I do rather like the pale blue tone of the paper cone.

I've had them running for around 8-hrs today set on low volume and hooked up to my tubed CD player and 300B SET's, with CD set on repeat. The drivers are simply placed in the open boxes they were shipped in and leaned up against my fire surroundand. I have to say they do sound rather good indeed, even in the shipping boxes. They had my feet tapping to Tori Amos and the detail was quite something given the nature of the driver placings. The only down side is they need another 192-odd hrs of careful break-in before they reach their full potential.

Last I spoke to Scott he mentioned he had a new design for the A12P should I be interested. As if he needed to ask.

I believe this new driver has the potential to be very special indeed, especially if driven by a quality SET amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!