Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone) - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 20th April 2012, 07:30 PM   #91
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Is the Finish BB not available here, or is it basically the same as the Russian BB?

jeff
there are probably more grades / mixes of plywood sheet goods than MDF - and they're definitely not all created equal - whatever you do, try to avoid (politically correctness be damned ) the "oriental imports"

even via our commercial wholesale suppliers, the EuroPly (or ApplePly) 4x8 are substantially higher cost than the Murphy - I've never used the Finnish / Airplane / marine grades
Old 20th April 2012, 07:43 PM   #92
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
absobloodylutely - but certainly not as cheap as hardwood plywood - speaking of which you might want to look into the Murphy Hardwoods Maple Multi-ply, over the past 6 months or so I've noticed a huge drop in quality of Russian sourced Baltic Birch, and have started using the Murphy - costs more, but is a gorgeous product (for now, anyway)
Me too. I went to a place called speciality hardwoods earlier in the week, was looking at 5x5 BB and had specifically asked the source because it didn't look anything like whats left of my home stock of BB. A few small knots on both faces, and the ply's weren't consistently straight looking more like the cheep 4x8 sheets of birch ply sourced from china at Lowes/Home Depot. They weren't positive but thought it was from Russia. I had just assumed what i previously was getting must've been furniture grade and this must've been a cheeper commercial grade. I was thinking tt's to bad that the place that was giving me wholesale pricing on the quality BB is no longer around, would be terrible if it's all coming in looking like what i saw earlier in the week. Not sure i'll be able to find Murphy's Maple ply. If it's anywhere as expensive as States industries Apple ply, (which is also near impossible to find), i'm gonna run around to the local lumber yards and buy up all the "old" quality sheets of BB i can find. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:06 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
We've finished the first production batch of Alp12P's. Along with the regular tests for each driver, we've also ran an individual frequency test on a dedicated single tester. Take a look at the pic and note the frequency of each driver is recorded on its label, also on its pack box. Dealers should be able to supply you with batch matched drivers.

The mean frequency = 42Hz, we'll pack drivers from 41Hz to 44Hz. That's very close.

Note: these are the quantities for delivery outside Japan:

Germany (EU) Lautspreceher = 16 drivers (8 pairs)
USA Madisound = 32 drivers (16 pairs)

I strongly recommend placing your order requests soonest.

Also, give some cheers to Evan and Jeff san. They've been nose to the grind-stone getting the 12P's and the MAOP units made (see pics)

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alp12-batch-match.jpg (214.9 KB, 659 views)
File Type: jpg Jeff-san-12p-1.jpg (135.5 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg Evan-MAOP-1.jpg (151.6 KB, 620 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 25th April 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:32 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Well done Mark, Evan and Jeff san! Didn't think we'd be seeing these so soon.

What news of the metal A12.2 Mark? I need to know which way to jump
Old 25th April 2012, 05:11 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Mark, Evan, Jeff (and any others involved) - big thanks indeed

Simon - let them catch their breath for at least a couple more hours
Old 25th April 2012, 05:20 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
Well done Mark, Evan and Jeff san! Didn't think we'd be seeing these so soon.
What news of the metal A12.2 Mark? I need to know which way to jump
Hi Simon,
Many thanks for the congrats. Re the Alp12 new metal cone, sadly a long way off. I'm going to need some quiet time over the summer to work on it.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:29 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
We've finished the first production batch of Alp12P's.
Congrats to you and everyone involved. When do you think the next production run will be?

jeff
Old 25th April 2012, 08:41 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post

USA Madisound = 32 drivers (16 pairs)

I strongly recommend placing your order requests soonest.

Cheers
Mark.
Email sent Not 100% sure yet as I can't build new cabs yet and would have to put them in my SuperPensil cabs but still may do it anyway

Scott
Old 25th April 2012, 09:07 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Email sent Not 100% sure yet as I can't build new cabs yet and would have to put them in my SuperPensil cabs but still may do it anyway

Scott

check with Dave / Scott L, but without enclosure modifications that might not be the best alignment for the 12P
Old 25th April 2012, 09:22 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
check with Dave / Scott L, but without enclosure modifications that might not be the best alignment for the 12P
Yeah they had said earlier in this thread I believe that with some stuffing changes it should work. It wouldn't be ideal as the new Super is quite a different size than mine but it should still work. I may end up doing bookshelves anyway in which case I'd be starting from scratch. We'll see, they told me roughly 5-6 weeks before they arrive.

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!