Alpair12 Bookshelf Options - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th March 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair12 Bookshelf Options

Well I've thoroughly enjoyed my SuperPensil12's but I'm going to pick up a set of speakers Saturday that will be my primary speakers since I do mostly HT, Klipsch La Scala's. I know Klipschs aren't for everyone but I really like the sound of these vintage speakers and the dynamics they produce for HT rival many pro cinemas, just in a smaller space. Given that I don't have space for those MASSIVE speakers AND my SuperPensil's I'm going to have to make some bookshelves for my Alpair12's so I can still use them for music. I'll place them on top of the La Scala's so they don't take up more floor space.

My question is, what do you all recommend for a relatively simple build. I'm not skilled enough for the Onken builds so need something a bit more simple. I was thinkinig about the A12 DBR: http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...DBR-290610.pdf

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Scott
Old 16th March 2012, 02:36 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Scott,

I went to A12 DBR AKA Studio Reference Monitors from the Super Pensil 12 - really like them! If you leave out the Mar-Ken12T, another option to consider would be CGR Ken for A12?

-Zia
Old 16th March 2012, 02:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Zia, so you have the double bass reflex ones? I haven't seen the Classig Golden Ratio ones. The DBR seemed like a pretty easy build and I liked the looks as well. Simulated response looked good too. Do you have any pics of your build? I've been a little absent lately while I've been looking for these La Scala's :-)

Scott
Old 16th March 2012, 03:05 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Classic GR Fonken

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...map-250610.pdf

dave
Old 16th March 2012, 03:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you feel this is a better enclosure Dave? How low will it go?

Scott
Old 16th March 2012, 03:26 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've not heard the DBR. CGR is good. Not as good as the full-on trapezoid which has a notably lower diffraction signature.

Our pair have been passed on to a member in San Jose -- not close enuff for an audition.

dave
Old 16th March 2012, 03:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yeah I think the Traps are out of my league and after dropping as much as I am on the La Scala's having some nice ones built are unfortunately out of the question. I like the look of the CGR but they might be a bit small resulting in less bass than I'd like. I dont mind them being big as in tall and deep but can't be wide as I'll be putting them sideways on top of the La Scala's to keep them mostly at ear level.
Old 16th March 2012, 05:45 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Flip the super pensils upside down on the la Scala

dave
Old 16th March 2012, 05:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Flip the super pensils upside down on the la Scala

dave
Haha! My wife is ready to kill me with the La Scalas. Pretty sure I'd be dead in about 2.2 seconds. Lol
Old 16th March 2012, 03:32 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Haha! My wife is ready to kill me with the La Scalas. Pretty sure I'd be dead in about 2.2 seconds. Lol

If you're lucky, you won't even see it coming - something to be said for things to be over before you know it happened.

But seriously, if for a real "bookshelf" installation rather than "free standing small monitor", the low diffraction signature of any of the large bevelled MarKens would probably not be of much benefit, and the CGR would be a much simpler build - and IINM is marginally smaller than the DBR .

Last edited by chrisb; 16th March 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!