Markaudio Drivers at the Lone Star Audio Fest - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 27th February 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Markaudio Drivers at the Lone Star Audio Fest

I'll be at the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas on May 4, 5, and 6. The equipment in my room will include an Oppo BDP-95 universal player, various OddWatt Audio preamplifiers, power amps and integrated amps, and full range single driver speakers. For this show I'll be using the Alpair 10.2's in a Jim Griffin design MLTL enclosure. These MLTL's using the Alpair 10.2 drivers are my fifth full range single driver project, and I can't say enough good things about their sound. Other project have used Fostex, Audio Nirvana, CSS, and Tang Band drivers, and some have sounded especially good, but the Alpairs are my favorite so far.

I'm hoping lots of single driver fans will visit us at the LSAF this year. We never know who all will be there until a few days before the start of the show, but if history repeats itself we'll be hearing full range single driver speakers in several rooms.

Here's a link to the LSAF web page: Lone Star Audio Fest

And here's the link to a picture of the speakers:
Speakers - FredT300B's Photos
Old 27th February 2012, 01:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Fred,

I saw your thread on AudioCircle about the Alpair 10.2 MLTL. Your speakers are beautiful with exceptional style. I'm pleased to hear that you chose to build my design and I hope that others at the LSAF will enjoy it as well.

I have an Alpair 10.2 on open baffle with an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF H-frame woofer design that I'm using as my daily listener these days. This biamp'ed configuration uses a dBx DriveRack PA+ as the crossover. The 10.2 is a remarkable driver in both the open baffle and MLTL configurations.

Openminded--A Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 Open Baffle Project

Have fun at the LSAF.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Griffin; 27th February 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 27th February 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting, Fred. I will also be bringing Alpairs to Dallas. I have an MLTL suing the A10.2.

Click the image to open in full size.

Somewhat different from Jim's, but our design philosophies are a bit different.

I have a pair of Goldwood 1858's in raw plywood H-frames that I intend to use with A7.3's. I's not sure how I will comfigure the A7.3's, probably OB or in a Qtc=1 sealed box. Or then again, I may just use the little TL's I brought last year.

Click the image to open in full size.

Bob
Old 27th February 2012, 11:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I should mention that I don't sell any of the equipment I'm bringing to the show. The OddWatt tube amplifiers I'll be using are kits that are available from OddWatt audio. Bruce Heran of OddWatt will be exhibiting and selling at the show. I don't sell speaker either. I just build them as a hobby. If anybody likes the sound of my Alpair 10.2's, they can walk over to Bob Brines' room and hear his version too. I've built some of Bob's MLTL designs, and they are excellent! For the full range single driver lover on a budget who doesn't have a workshop full of tools, he offers the M10A10 flat pack kit for only $395.
M10-A10
Old 28th February 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Fred,

Thanks for the plug. I finally got the M10-A10 pages all linked up with new measurements. Plans are starting to flow.

I need to say right from the top that while my M10-A10 doesn't sound much different from the Pensil 10.2, as the Pensil concept drew to the larger drivers, the size necessarily ballooned. I like to think that my design is more elegant and more "pencil" like.

Bob
Old 28th February 2012, 06:26 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
Fred,

Thanks for the plug. I finally got the M10-A10 pages all linked up with new measurements. Plans are starting to flow.

I need to say right from the top that while my M10-A10 doesn't sound much different from the Pensil 10.2, as the Pensil concept drew to the larger drivers, the size necessarily ballooned. I like to think that my design is more elegant and more "pencil" like.

Bob
Yes, the Pensil format is quiet elegant with the smaller drivers - for the latter, let me coin a new category - "Brinesian" (with a silent "e", and soft "i" it rather rolls off the tongue)

Hide this!Advertise here!