Pensil P70 mathematics - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 6th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Waves73 is offline Waves73  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Itís been a while since my last post so I thought Iíd give an update on the Pensil build. Finding time to dedicate to the build has been tricky but I think Iím nearly there.

This is the first speaker build Iíve done but me being me, I couldnít just follow the plans, I had to tinker.

As you can see from the pictures Iíve used a piece of walnut on the baffle, where the driver sits. As the walnut width is a few millimetre smaller than the plans I re-calculated the speaker and vent dimensions to maintain the original volume.

Lesson 1: Check measurements. Check measurements. And check again.

As the eagle eyed reader has probably noticed, the cleats for fixing the back panel are flush with back of the cabinet. After much swearing and rechecking of measurements I had to accept Iíd got it wrong and the only way to get around this without scrapping the wood was to trim the side panels and have the back panel fixed directly on, rather than set in. This now means Iíve got a bit of a job to make sure the seal is as airtight as I can make it.

One of the hardest things Iíve found with the build is cutting the plywood accurately. Trying to make millimetre accurate cuts with a circular saw is pretty difficult. And even when using hand saws, getting everything exact has taken some patience.

How sensitive is the Pensil design when it comes to measurements? Even re-measuring and re-calculating every time I cut and sand panels their are still slight differences between what I have and the plans.

Hoping to get the cabinets finished this month and then start designing and building the centre speaker. Final stages are to sand, paint and add the stuffing before fixing the drivers and start to test the speakers. The plan is to paint the main body of the cabinet white and wax the walnut. This should look fantastic once the natural paper CHP70ís are fitted.

Iíll post more pictures as I progress.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3199_small.jpg (306.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3211_small.jpg (336.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3212_small.jpg (329.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3213_small.jpg (377.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3214_small.jpg (391.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 7th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The alignment deliberately has a high internal volume since it's meant to be flexible; as such, within reason, a mm or so out isn't the end of the world.

Hide this!Advertise here!