CHR-70 bass reflex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im planning to build a pair of these for monitors for my computer.

Would you suggest lowing the port freq from 59hz to something a little lower? say 40 to 45?...
That is more than a "little" lower!
In simulation you won't gain much bass with lower Fb in a 7l enclosure.
For 47Hz you need ~14l. But it is only a small driver with 50cm2 cone an 4mm Xmax. So you have to take care with the power!

As others have said, lowering the tuing that much won't work. Here's what will happen:

In the Microtowers (~21 Liters) a 54.5 Hz tuning gives F3/F10 of 47/41. Tuned to 40 Hz give F3/F10 73/31. Anything below low 50's causes the knee to droop very badly.

Im planning to build a pair of these for monitors for my computer.

Would you suggest lowing the port freq from 59hz to something a little lower? say 40 to 45?

Any idea how long the port would have to be then?

Hi all,
a little update to my ShoeBox 70.3.
I wasn't entirely satisfied with sound when it stand "free" and was driven with the normal amplifier.
Ok, not the application I use it, but some other may use the Box "free" without any active correction.
So I build up a cheap measurement equipment. A mic with MCE-4500, a mic-preamp with NE5532 and s small amp
with TDA1516. As I have to learn a bit more about ARTA and the mic is not calibrated I will not post any measurement charts.
I think the measurement equipment is good enough to make comparison measurements ;)

I end up with a Filter 1.5mH||6.8Ohm.
(According to the placement of the speaker try 1mH .. 1.5mH)
(If you want more highs try 1 .. 2.2uF in parallel)

Re: subsonic filters to protect little full-rangers:

Why not put the filter at the input of the power amp? A simple RC filter can be made with a -3dB point below 20 Hz. Assuming the input impedance of the following (solid state) amp is let's say 10k ohms, 1uF in series with the signal should give you a high pass filter with -3dB point at 16 Hz. That will be a slow rolloff -6dB/octave filter, but should help. You could make the capacitor smaller to change the -3dB point. 470nF would give you -3dB @ 34 Hz.

If you're using a tube or FET amp with a high input impedance, you can do this much better, using smaller value capacitors (which work better than larger value caps). 100k ohms and 100nF would get you that same -3dB point at 16 Hz.

An RC filter at line level should be much less damaging to the final sound than a large-value LC between the amp output and the speaker driver. Right?

--

Re: subsonic filters to protect little full-rangers:

Why not put the filter at the input of the power amp? A simple RC filter can be made with a -3dB point below 20 Hz. Assuming the input impedance of the following (solid state) amp is let's say 10k ohms, 1uF in series with the signal should give you a high pass filter with -3dB point at 16 Hz. That will be a slow rolloff -6dB/octave filter, but should help. You could make the capacitor smaller to change the -3dB point. 470nF would give you -3dB @ 34 Hz.

If you're using a tube or FET amp with a high input impedance, you can do this much better, using smaller value capacitors (which work better than larger value caps). 100k ohms and 100nF would get you that same -3dB point at 16 Hz.

An RC filter at line leel should be much less damaging to the final sound than a large-value LC between the amp output and the speaker driver. Right?

--

+1 - you'd still wanna do some math to set values for the particular application

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.