Giant Alpair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 7th February 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Giant Alpair

Wondering if you've considered making a large-format alpair? 12" or 15"? I ask because while you're making driver art, some of us are high-efficiency guys, and would relish a 92-94dB driver instead of sub-90s allowed by the small cones.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

badman, Mark is approaching that efficiency range with his prototype paper cone A12

next gen Alpair 12.3 diy community development

Last edited by mp9; 8th February 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Aha! Interesting! Still would like to see a big gun though
Old 9th February 2012, 04:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking 15" alpair as FAST in an H frame with an A7 above ... MMM
Old 9th February 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
I'm thinking 15" alpair as FAST in an H frame with an A7 above ... MMM

I could be wrong, but I think Mark has already mused that the material / manufacturing processes used on the Alpair metal series has a size limit - quite possibly already attained with the 12.3. Cones as thin as these of much larger diameter could possibly suffer exponential diminution of durability?
Old 9th February 2012, 04:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Naturally he'd need to increase thickness and work out new cone tech. We just don't have a lot of examples of 12"s and 15"s with the attention to detail of the mark audio drivers- for well-behaved "hi-fi" style drivers.
Old 9th February 2012, 04:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Mark has already mused that the material / manufacturing processes used on the Alpair metal series has a size limit - quite possibly already attained with the 12.3. Cones as thin as these of much larger diameter could possibly suffer exponential diminution of durability?
Ahh got ya, makes perfect sense. Given I barely impacted one of my 12's and it dented quite a bit I'd wager a large cones twice the size of the 12's would be probably too delicate.
Old 9th February 2012, 04:24 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Naturally he'd need to increase thickness and work out new cone tech.
I'm just thinking that it in doing do with existing materials, they'd loose the magic. Of course there might be other materials or composites which Mark might already be quietly exploring, but unlike our imaginations and wish-list, his resources / time are finite.

Quote:

We just don't have a lot of examples of 12"s and 15"s with the attention to detail of the mark audio drivers- for well-behaved "hi-fi" style drivers.
Yes, there are certainly few folks working with thin metal cones, but many examples could be found of exquisitely engineered an meticulously manufactured high-end drivers, and they're priced accordingly. The shipping and taxes on some of these exotica are more than the cost of a pair of Alpair12s.

There might simply not be a large enough market among the silent majority of cost conscious DIY builders for drivers of this size.
Old 9th February 2012, 04:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
There might simply not be a large enough market among the silent majority of cost conscious DIY builders for drivers of this size.
This very well may be the key here. Seems like lots of people use the Eminence Alpha 15's for their large drivers due to cost and relatively good SQ. Probably a pretty hard target to beat.
Old 9th February 2012, 04:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You fellas may be right. I know that my eyes far exceed my wallet, and there are a pretty broad range of 12"s and 15"s through the pro market already, and most folk don't want as big a speaker in their room.

Hide this!Advertise here!