Alpair 10 -12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 7th February 2012, 09:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 10 -12

Hello, I am interested in the Mark Audio drivers, but dont have the time to build my own cabinets for them.
I am wondering if it would it be possible to get a 16 - 20 liter cabinet from the likes of Madisound or Parts Express and use that as my cabinet?
I see that plans call for a 12 or 16 liter box - could i go even a little larger? Wahts is optimum size for bass & Dynamics?

Thanks for you assistance
Regards
Mike
Old 7th February 2012, 10:21 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NJ View Post
Hello, I am interested in the Mark Audio drivers, but dont have the time to build my own cabinets for them.
I am wondering if it would it be possible to get a 16 - 20 liter cabinet from the likes of Madisound or Parts Express and use that as my cabinet?
I see that plans call for a 12 or 16 liter box - could i go even a little larger? What is optimum size for bass & Dynamics?

Thanks for you assistance
Regards
Mike

FWIW, these drivers really shine in enclosures larger or more elaborate than the simple BR or even sealed that can easily be accomplished with stock boxes from the likes of Madisound or Parts Express. I'm currently listening to the Alpair 10.2 in two separate enclosures - the P-10 MarKen10 (approx 14 liters mini-onken style vented) and a proprietary MLTL by Bob Brines - floor standing approx 24cm square /1.2meters tall with plinth base. The MLTL certainly has some advantages in terms of bass extension/weight an dynamics, but the MarKen does some wonderful things imaging-wise - hard to chose either as "optimum" .
Old 8th February 2012, 12:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply, is there much od a diffence between the Alpair 10 & 12 (besides size)?
It will be difficult for me to build anything so i was looking to purchase the cabinets.
Would a 20liter BR work?
If you have any other sugestions for cabinets (to purchase) i'd apprciate it.
I want to build a single driver loudspeaker that does dcent bass and dynamics - but with a BR - or any cabinet that will work that i can purchase.
Best regards
Mike
Old 8th February 2012, 12:45 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The A10.2 is happy in 13-20 litre reflex. The A12 in about 13 litre. A12s are kind of hard to source at the moment.

Larger boxes require some sort of horn or TL loading.

If you get the PE boxes get the curved ones, the others need enuff work that one might as well start from scratch. Somewhere i have the start of a spreadsheet with suggested tuning for many of the PE boxes with MarkAudio drivers.

Quote:
or any cabinet that will work that i can purchase
If i may be so bold as to point these out: Just too much stuff... almost giving it away

dave
Old 8th February 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Mar-Ken12T with Alpair12eNC are for sale?
How do the Alpair 12 differ from the 10?
Do they do better bass?
Please have patience im a novice, just want to get that single driver magic - but with adequate bass and dynamics.
Was thinking of getting the 10,2's with the P.E curved 20 litre cabinet = but if these are better..?
Old 8th February 2012, 02:05 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, they are for sale. They go about as low as A10. More dynamics, more efficient, platy louder before stressing out.

dave
Old 8th February 2012, 04:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NJ View Post
The Mar-Ken12T with Alpair12eNC are for sale?
How do the Alpair 12 differ from the 10?
Do they do better bass?
Please have patience im a novice, just want to get that single driver magic - but with adequate bass and dynamics.
Was thinking of getting the 10,2's with the P.E curved 20 litre cabinet = but if these are better..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Yes, they are for sale. They go about aslow as A10. More dynamics, more efficient, play louder before stressing out.

dave

but as he said in his "garage sale" post, having spent more than a couple of months in situ casa Dlugos, the finish is not guaranteed to be scratch free, so you might want to invest in a scotch brite maroon finishing pad and can of

Click the image to open in full size. or such

As the boxes would have originally top coated with ML Campbell Magnamax 35% lacquer, it'd be best to touched them up only with a Nitrocellulose lacquer.
Old 28th March 2012, 03:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have my Alpair 10 (original) in a 21 litre Bob Brines type MLTL. I filled in the port and tried them infinite baffle and liked it - have been using that since.

It really is a nice speaker. Be prepared for some break in - mine improved noticeably even months later. Madisound have these for $110 which is a bit of a no-brainer.

andy
Old 4th September 2013, 08:47 PM   #9
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

How about this build? Would either of you have any comments?
It seems like a horn, however it has a port in the back.. not sure how it works..

Thanks for your consideration.

MarkTen-TL
Old 4th September 2013, 09:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2009 View Post
How about this build? Would either of you have any comments?
It seems like a horn, however it has a port in the back.. not sure how it works..

Thanks for your consideration.

MarkTen-TL

Looks like a folded mass loaded Voigt "pipe" to me - to be polite, an interesting choice of cabinet materials

If I'm reading the date correctly on the referenced page, the design is over 4yrs old - and while the laws of physics arguably haven't much since then, this driver model's TS parameters definitely have - which often require revisiting dimensions and vent tuning.

FWIW I've heard the latest incarnation of the 10s - both 10.3 metal and 10P paper - the former in Pensil MLTL, and the latter in a mid-sized BLH. I could easily live with either, but would give the paper a slight edge - to each his own.

Hide this!Advertise here!