Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th January 2012, 03:40 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMakerRyan View Post
The alpair 7.3 has a response way beyond 20k, that being said most people who hear my 10.2's say they have the sweetest highs they have ever heard. I think you can safely omit the tweeters if you are using MA drivers. It's all going to come down to how much control you have over the line level signal with dipole speakers. Sounds like you have the raw power. In addition to a good EQ you really need some loudness control. The ear is much less sensitive to bass at low volume levels. Some home theater recievers have the ability to compensate for this.

Does anyone know if there are any stand alone preamps that have kinds of features that home theater receivers do? It seems like you pay an arm and a leg for a good preamp and receivers get amazing preamp functionality just thrown in there for next to nothing.

Yup, it's certainly interesting that except for the lack of discrete pre-amp outputs for all of the main and surround channels, almost any decent mainstream receiver in the $400-500 price range has a feature set that we would have been a pipe dream 10 yrs ago for less than 4-5 times that price. It's hard to believe that the power supply and 5 or 7 channels of even the lowest power output stages wouldn't contribute at least 50% of the manufacturing cost of these units, and that a no-frills processor couldn't be built to retail for less than $400, with a decent profit margin.

While there is no dearth of processors with more computing power and functions than the space shuttle, it seems few manufacturers are willing to cater to the budget conscious who may happen either have all the requisite amps lying about, or would be happy to DIY that much easier part.

rant off
Old 17th January 2012, 01:10 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Chris,

We should rant even more. If we don't DEMAND better features they will milk us over time with incremental improvements.

I would like to see built in 2 way amplification for each channel with active crossovers. Speaker building will become much easier and more fun.

Click the image to open in full size.

Digmoda has what I want. If someone can put that into a home theater receiver and sell it cheap enough then we could all rejoice.
Old 21st January 2012, 06:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Anyone tried Alpair 12's in an OB? I currently run OB's with a pair of Alphas and a B200 per side, and have a pair of 12's I've yet to try as I'll need to make new baffles.
Old 24th January 2012, 01:21 PM   #14
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMakerRyan View Post
If you are using a helper woofer in close proximity then an alpair would be a nice choice such as the 10.2 but you will need to tone down the HF a lot.
You say you have to pad down the top end of the 10.2's. How exactly are you doing that?

I have a pair of new 10.2's showing up today in the mail. I'm going to start them off in cardboard boxes just to break them in. Hopefully, in the next month or so I will have my project well under way or finished.

I'm using six 8" Peerless India woofers for each channel in a slot loaded OB (Nelson Pass design). These will be powered by a pair of GR-Research SA-1 amps which have a built-in crossover, built-in gain circuit for OB use, and a 20Hz HP filter. I will be crossing these over at the amp's max of 125Hz.

The 10.2's need to be crossed at around 200Hz 1st order, and I'm going to do everything on the 10.2's passively. I don't want to use any EQ, so will need to know what to do to pad the top end. Baffle size I want to be narrow as possible but still be able to support 100-150Hz.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Old 24th January 2012, 05:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
You say you have to pad down the top end of the 10.2's. How exactly are you doing that?

I have a pair of new 10.2's showing up today in the mail. I'm going to start them off in cardboard boxes just to break them in. Hopefully, in the next month or so I will have my project well under way or finished.

I'm using six 8" Peerless India woofers for each channel in a slot loaded OB (Nelson Pass design). These will be powered by a pair of GR-Research SA-1 amps which have a built-in crossover, built-in gain circuit for OB use, and a 20Hz HP filter. I will be crossing these over at the amp's max of 125Hz.

The 10.2's need to be crossed at around 200Hz 1st order, and I'm going to do everything on the 10.2's passively. I don't want to use any EQ, so will need to know what to do to pad the top end. Baffle size I want to be narrow as possible but still be able to support 100-150Hz.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

The implication of using even multiples of 10.2 as woofers has me a bit concerned - there are lots of other drivers well suited to the heavy lifting/excursion, most particularly in an OB application.
Maybe Mark could pipe in to the subject?
Old 24th January 2012, 07:57 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
...so will need to know what to do to pad the top end...
You can tune the top end by the position of the speakers and how much you are listening off-axis.

dave
Old 24th January 2012, 07:59 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The implication of using even multiples of 10.2 as woofers has me a bit concerned
Quote:
I'm using six 8" Peerless India woofers for each channel in a slot loaded OB
Old 24th January 2012, 08:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
You can tune the top end by the position of the speakers and how much you are listening off-axis.

dave
That makes sense. I'll have to try that. Thanks Dave!
Old 24th January 2012, 10:28 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The implication of using even multiples of 10.2 as woofers has me a bit concerned - there are lots of other drivers well suited to the heavy lifting/excursion, most particularly in an OB application.
Maybe Mark could pipe in to the subject?

clearly I totally misread Chops post
Old 25th January 2012, 02:51 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Do you guys have any recommendations on baffle size for the 10.2's? Down too around 100-150Hz...

Hide this!Advertise here!